Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Anti mask protestors surrounding the homes of local county commissioner as they vote on masks.

remember when Rube was mad that Sanders had her meal interrupted in a restaurant? Good times

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...protest-homes/
    When the Reichstag voted on the Enabling Act of 1933, the SA physically surrounded the other Members as they voted.

Debate within the Centre Party continued until the day of the vote, 23 March 1933, with Kaas advocating voting in favour of the act, referring to an upcoming written guarantee from Hitler, while former Chancellor Heinrich Brüning called for a rejection of the Act. The majority sided with Kaas, and Brüning agreed to maintain party discipline by voting for the Act.[15]

The Reichstag, led by its President, Hermann Göring, changed its rules of procedure to make it easier to pass the bill. Under the Weimar Constitution, a quorum of two-thirds of the entire Reichstag membership was required to be present in order to bring up a constitutional amendment bill. In this case, 432 of the Reichstag's 647 deputies would have normally been required for a quorum. However, Göring reduced the quorum to 378 by not counting the 81 KPD deputies. Despite the virulent rhetoric directed against the Communists, the Nazis did not formally ban the KPD right away. Not only did they fear a violent uprising, but they hoped the KPD's presence on the ballot would siphon off votes from the SPD. However, it was an open secret that the KPD deputies would never be allowed to take their seats; they were thrown in jail as quickly as the police could track them down. Courts began taking the line that since the Communists were responsible for the (Reichstag) fire, KPD membership was an act of treason. Thus, for all intents and purposes, the KPD was banned as of 6 March, the day after the election.[16]

Göring also declared that any deputy who was "absent without excuse" was to be considered as present, in order to overcome obstructions. Leaving nothing to chance, the Nazis used the provisions of the Reichstag Fire Decree to detain several SPD deputies. A few others saw the writing on the wall and fled into exile.

Later that day, the Reichstag assembled under intimidating circumstances, with SA men swarming inside and outside the chamber.[15] Hitler's speech, which emphasised the importance of Christianity in German culture,[17] was aimed particularly at appeasing the Centre Party's sensibilities and incorporated Kaas' requested guarantees almost verbatim. Kaas gave a speech, voicing the Centre's support for the bill amid "concerns put aside", while Brüning notably remained silent.

Only SPD chairman Otto Wels spoke against the Act, declaring that the proposed bill could not "destroy ideas which are eternal and indestructible." Kaas had still not received the written constitutional guarantees he had negotiated, but with the assurance it was being "typed up", voting began. Kaas never received the letter.[15][page needed]

At this stage, the majority of deputies already supported the bill, and any deputies who might have been reluctant to vote in favour were intimidated by the SA troops surrounding the meeting. In the end, all parties except the SPD voted in favour of the Enabling Act. With the KPD banned and 26 SPD deputies arrested or in hiding, the final tally was 444 in favour of the Enabling Act against 94 (all Social Democrats) opposed. The Reichstag had adopted the Enabling Act with the support of 83% of the deputies. The session took place under such intimidating conditions that even if all SPD deputies had been present, it would have still passed with 78.7% support. The same day in the evening, the Reichsrat also gave its approval, unanimously and without prior discussion.[18] The Act was then signed into law by President Hindenburg.
    The Republicans are a fascist party. Republican voters are Nazis. These people have broken the social contract of America and are no longer citizens of a democratic state. They are traitors.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      Everyone knows it's hard mentality.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
        I'm still baffled by the outcry against wearing masks. I know, its purely political at this point. Which makes it even more stupid.

Half these people protesting probably wear masks as part of their jobs at some point, or even in their private lives. The motorcyclist wearing a bandana on the road, the carpenter or lumber mill worker dealing with dust or sawdust, anyone working with paint, mineral spirits, or chemicals etc. They don't complain about that.

But they do complain about wearing them when doing so might help save other peoples lives. The only reasons to do so are pure selfishness and in consideration, or because their political identity mandates they do. And again, its just ****ing stupid. But that's what stupid people do.

And Hovey, you can take your 'both sides' and shove it.
        The most disappointing part is the people like Hovey who know better and still support not wearing masks.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• If there was no asymptomatic spread (or even, significantly reduced), I'd probably be philosophically opposed to mask mandates and business closures as well.

But as many as 40% of the infected are totally asymptomatic or have virtually no symptoms - and spread it like crazy - so to me that changes the calculus substantially. We don't close down even in awful flu years because, for the most part, the sick stay home and spread is relatively light. That absolutely isn't the case with SARS2. Compound that with the fact that it's deadlier in acute cases and, as we're learning, the long-lasting issues it causes can be all over the map, I feel that my general libertarian views are not contradictory to mask mandates and closures.

It isn't much more complicated than that. It isn't a personal choice that you're making to go eat in a restaurant that only impacts you. It's a choice you make that impacts you and anyone you come into contact with. You don't have the right to decide for them.
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• I saw a tweet yesterday from an ER doctor (or nurse) treating a woman who had a Thanksgiving dinner with 22 people who were all fine. Then the next day one person started feeling sick and now all 22 people are positive and a few of them are severe. I just don't understand why people can't take one year off of doing a crazy busy holiday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

The most disappointing part is the people like Hovey who know better and still support not wearing masks.
              As I have written repeatedly on this board, I wear a mask whenever I am out in public. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of repeating myself for those with reading comprehension problems.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Kaas sounds like Susan Collins.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  I saw a tweet yesterday from an ER doctor (or nurse) treating a woman who had a Thanksgiving dinner with 22 people who were all fine. Then the next day one person started feeling sick and now all 22 people are positive and a few of them are severe. I just don't understand why people can't take one year off of doing a crazy busy holiday.
                  But they NEEDS to!!!
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

As I have written repeatedly on this board, I wear a mask whenever I am out in public. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of repeating myself for those with reading comprehension problems.
                    I really think that a few people do it to needle you. others, like a certain Mainer, are just jerks towards people who don't think and vote like them. There's then the third group who can't remember anything regarding other people because at arms' reach is a wall of mirrors.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      I saw a tweet yesterday from an ER doctor (or nurse) treating a woman who had a Thanksgiving dinner with 22 people who were all fine. Then the next day one person started feeling sick and now all 22 people are positive and a few of them are severe. I just don't understand why people can't take one year off of doing a crazy busy holiday.
                      Because it's fine. They're all fine, it's all fine. Stop overreacting.

Comment

• When You Let Jesus Take The Wheel

God tried to help you all...and you ignored him. Don't expect much sympathy when you reach the Pearly Gates.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          When You Let Jesus Take The Wheel

God tried to help you all...and you ignored him. Don't expect much sympathy when you reach the Pearly Gates.
                          Can you summarize for us who can't read that?

Comment

I know you personally do, but you also condone those who don’t.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I know you personally do, but you also condone those who don’t.
                              I think you'd have to clarify "condone." In my place of business, we require masks, so I don't "condone" either employees or visitors who would like to not wear them.

If there is a law or rule in place, I don't "condone" people breaking that law or rule.

That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I think you'd have to clarify "condone." In my place of business, we require masks, so I don't "condone" either employees or visitors who would like to not wear them.

If there is a law or rule in place, I don't "condone" people breaking that law or rule.
                                Dude, you're a fellow traveler. You're not a Nazi but it's not a deal breaker.

That's no bueno. You don't get a pass.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X