Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 12th Part: The Only Thing Worse Than This New Board Is TrumpVirus2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccine efficacy and effectiveness is not really super complicated. The cdc gives a decent explanation here

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dsepd/ss19.../section6.html

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

People like dx, more knowledgeable in statistics than me, might have a more accurate explanation, but I’ve always understood that if they say a vaccine is 90% effective they mean that there are 90% fewer instances of infection in the test group than they expected.
      This is my question. If you have a population who is willing to volunteer will they not be self selected out to be a certain mindset?

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

This is my question. If you have a population who is willing to volunteer will they not be self selected out to be a certain mindset?
        Yeah, I don’t know. I’ve kind of wondered if I participated in a study like that, would I be more or less likely to act in a way that exposes me to a possible infection.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• 47% of Americans plan to be *******s next week. **** all of them

https://mobile.***********/jesseltay...11901114486784

https://mobile.***********/RachelMCo...46350990839809

Comment

Yeah, I don’t know. I’ve kind of wondered if I participated in a study like that, would I be more or less likely to act in a way that exposes me to a possible infection.
            My understanding is only people who were likely to be exposed to the virus were selected.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

People like dx, more knowledgeable in statistics than me, might have a more accurate explanation, but I’ve always understood that if they say a vaccine is 90% effective they mean that there are 90% fewer instances of infection in the test group than they expected.
              You give me far too much credit. :-)

but my understanding is that they give 100 people the real vaccine and 100 people the placebo. They wait until X people get sick with the placebo. They then compare that to how many people got sick with the vaccine.

So if 10 got sick on the placebo and only 1 got sick on the vaccine, that’s a 90% reduction.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                I am honestly surprised it isnt more.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  Alternate headline:

”47% of Americans choosing to have bonfires in California forests during August holidays”
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• https://***********/LydenFOX9/status...29865037393920

Just heard from a friend who is an ICU nurse treating CoVid patients. She says they are getting crushed. They're at the point where they can only do the minimum, 'crisis-charting,' and many are buying malpractice insurance. It sounds horrific.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Yeah I think the crisis charting has been going on in Minnesota for a bit now.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Alternate headline:

”47% of Americans choosing to have bonfires in California forests during August holidays”

Problem solves itself.

I hope conservatives invite MORE people to Thanksgiving. Please, cram every last one of them into their kitchens and living rooms and whatever they have on the farm and in the mobile home.

"This is now a rebellion." Close the hospitals. God will know his own.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

You give me far too much credit. :-)

but my understanding is that they give 100 people the real vaccine and 100 people the placebo. They wait until X people get sick with the placebo. They then compare that to how many people got sick with the vaccine.

So if 10 got sick on the placebo and only 1 got sick on the vaccine, that’s a 90% reduction.
                          I get that but if they are in an area with a lot of masking, people being safe doesn't that skew what is going on? We know that masking decreases the numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Problem solves itself.

I hope conservatives invite MORE people to Thanksgiving. Please, cram every last one of them into their kitchens and living rooms and whatever they have on the farm and in the mobile home.

"This is now a rebellion." Close the hospitals. God will know his own.
                            Wait, are you saying you want some harm to befall these patriotic Americans? What are you, some kinda sociopath?

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              I get that but if they are in an area with a lot of masking, people being safe doesn't that skew what is going on? We know that masking decreases the numbers.
                              The trial design is key and in the case of Pfizer, I believe they covered everything. Besides the bare basics of being double blinded and controlled, they had their participants in several nations, across Age groups, ethnic groups, etc. so the participants would have been of a large cross section- some essential workers, some in schools, some in group homes, some in nations with no lockdown ..the key is in the control design .

the Class I had On study designs was one of the most interesting ones for me in the public health program

Comment

• Arizona out of icu beds

https://mobile.***********/Cleavon_M...77240388935680

Comment

Working...
                                X