Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45:47: I Never Said There Was No Collusion!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45:47: I Never Said There Was No Collusion!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    None of her actual statement is loopy.
    And why is big tech bad? Is it because it's both progressive and liberal?

Note: except MS Word, there are no tech monopolies.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

No, it's because competition breeds great innovation. Monopolies and oligopolies tend to make minor tweaks to existing products.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

And why is big tech bad?
        Because it is monetizing people.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

LOL

I do everything in Google Docs. Word is ****.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            LOL

I do everything in Google Docs. Word is ****.
            Nah, Word is fine. I hate MS but a billion person install base buys you a ton of excellent development.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              No, it's because competition breeds great innovation. Monopolies and oligopolies tend to make minor tweaks to existing products.
              But, so long as they aren't engaging in anti-competitive practices, their incrementalism leaves them vulnerable to being leapfrogged by new competitors - if there is market demand for a significantly better product. Think Kodak trying to sell incrementally better film. They're the Death Star - immensely powerful, but vulnerable to small, nimble opponents.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                True. And it's one of the central reasons why IT is a crap job right now.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Exactly. Tesla thinks they can compete with all of the OEM's in the world because of their experience without competition.

Once they started to try, they found out that that auto industry is one of THE most competitive markets- given the number of manufacturers and the choice of cars.

Make big tech have to deal with the same kind of competition, all using the same kind of constraints (like all cars drive on the same roads, use common fuel, all maintain safety and emissions limits, etc as examples), and we would ALL be a lot better off. The fast pace of progress would speed up along with the quality of work, and the price would drop.

BTW, 5mn_Major- who is Facebook's competition? On a large scale, not minor one. Who is a scale competitor for Google? And ignoring the name plates- who is the scale competitor for who makes most of the computers in the world?

There are a TON of monopolies in tech relative to other markets.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    But, so long as they aren't engaging in anti-competitive practices, their incrementalism leaves them vulnerable to being leapfrogged by new competitors - if there is market demand for a significantly better product. Think Kodak trying to sell incrementally better film. They're the Death Star - immensely powerful, but vulnerable to small, nimble opponents.
                    Yes, and we've seen that. The problem that some people see is that the Tech Empire doesn't try to out-duel the Tech Rebel forces with better products, rather the Rebels now just take some cash and start working for the Empire.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      Only if it's actually scaleable, and when it becomes that- it's not gobbled up by bigger fish.

Comment

I guess I have to agree with AOC on monopolies. They aren't great for the consumer when it comes to innovation or driving prices down.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Yes, and we've seen that. The problem that some people see is that the Tech Empire doesn't try to out-duel the Tech Rebel forces with better products, rather the Rebels now just take some cash and start working for the Empire.
                          Which hasn't worked out for the layman or the workers at all.

Comment

Because it is monetizing people.
                            I really didn't understand that concept until my techie-best direct report (the guy is a software artisan*) and I had lunch one day.
                            He explained that concept to me and I'd never seen tech in that light before.
                            It was startling to see we're just data to be sold.

*I pound a banana on the keyboard compared to him and I've written reactor control algorithms. <-- reference to monkeys and typewriters and Shakespeare
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Nah, Word is fine. I hate MS but a billion person install base buys you a ton of excellent development.
                              Plug-in architecture is your friend.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

You are clearly not from L.I. BU is every Long Island kid's safety school.
                                I really wish I had a better understanding of east coast geographical slights.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X