Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    That is strange.....

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I think some people just don't like their faces on social media. And good or fun ideas (like using an emoji) spread in communities first before they catch on with other groups. At least that's how I imagine it happening.
    I understand that end of it. But at the same time, women/kids are left open when in a picture with the guy. And many times these photos are tagged with a legit names of all parties involved (meaning their FB name seems like it is the person's legit name. Not something like Wylie E Coyote). So it's just a strange (to me) attempt at trying to circumnavigate digital identification. And seeing it multiple times clearly makes it appear as it has become a social norm.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I think some people just don't like their faces on social media. And good or fun ideas (like using an emoji) spread in communities first before they catch on with other groups. At least that's how I imagine it happening.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied
    I don't know where to put this, so I'm gonna put this here...

I'm gonna ask a question that I'm not fully sure I can ask as a 40 year old, suburban white guy, but here it goes...

On a couple of Facebook groups related to fishing in the Chicago area there is a significant portion of the group's population that is obviously of Latin-X decent. Also being a fishing page, most are male, and many are 30+ years old. Over the past few years, it has been increasingly common for these Latin-X men to share photos of their catches with their faces replaced by emojis. This almost always coincides with a cover photo that has the same thing or doesn't show a person.

I get the concerns about facial recognition, but it's quite striking that it's something in these groups that is done exclusively by middle-aged or older Latin-X males. You never see someone who is black/white/asian do this. Also if you look into the profiles of the dudes that do this, it's never done to kids/women in shared pictures.

Doesn't really effect me in any way/shape/form, but it's a recurring observation. So I am curious as to what the social background of this trend is... Would anyone know why this is a thing with regard to Latin-X social norms? Dare I assume that it is tied to criminality or is it just a more generic concern over facial recognition?

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied
    MLK day.

The day where Republicans fetishize "I have a dream," but conveniently ignore his warnings against capitalism and the dangers of moderates.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The dumbest part, and that's saying something because this is all dumb, is where they screamed at the Travelocity rep and still refused to honor the reservation. Like, it's one thing to be a racist idiot when someone is just trying to check in, it's another level of dumb to be racist to a rep for one of the preeminent travel companies that is a) undoubtedly recording said phone call and b) has an army of lawyers working for them to protect them from racist idiots like this.
    Yeah that is just a new level of dumb. Cause you know he would deny the racism saying it is just a family lookin to cash in on rep...but yelling at the Travelocity rep is going to be a gut punch! My guess is Expedia has blacklisted them or will soon.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Yeah...I mean...wow.
    The dumbest part, and that's saying something because this is all dumb, is where they screamed at the Travelocity rep and still refused to honor the reservation. Like, it's one thing to be a racist idiot when someone is just trying to check in, it's another level of dumb to be racist to a rep for one of the preeminent travel companies that is a) undoubtedly recording said phone call and b) has an army of lawyers working for them to protect them from racist idiots like this.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Yeah...I mean...wow.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The Dakotas have entered the chat.
    Can’t even be subtle about it? JFC what a bunch of idiots.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    The Dakotas have entered the chat.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Oh that is not going to go well for them.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    It's not derp, it's strategy. The cruelty is the point.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Kansas derpin’

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...-boy-105007080

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Just finished reading King: A Life, by Jonathan Eig. Longish but worth it. Extensively researched, including a treasure trove of previously unavailable recordings, memos, letters, phone messages from the offices of Presidents Kennedy and Johnson, FBI wire tap recordings, etc. One of MLK's most remarkable characteristics was his unflagging belief in his cause and in the human capacity for good. Still, in an interview with David Halberstam not long before his death, an exhausted and dispirited King said, "Most Americans are unconscious racists."

Most. Is there reason to think that has changed much since 1968? So when the curtain on the voting booth closes . . .

edit: Actually, I think there is reason to think things have changed, since we are a more diverse group. In some areas.
    Last edited by burd; 11-14-2023, 07:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    https://www.threads.net/@americansfo...c4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Leave a comment:

Working...
X