The Generic Racism Thread 1: Lift Every Voice and Sing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

New Rule: Let's stop taking the opinions of anyone still named after Confederate traitors here in the 21st century seriously

Now what did Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III do?

*clicks link*

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Dear BU Alum,

As part of our ongoing conversations about racism and the way it manifests itself in society and on campus, a number of you have pointed out that our mascot’s nickname, “Rhett,” pays tribute to a fictional character associated with the Confederacy, slavery, and sexual assault, and that has prompted important conversations.

We know that the University mascot was chosen in 1922 by student vote, with the majority favoring the Boston Terrier (over the bull moose). It is less easy to pinpoint when the nickname “Rhett” came into common use. What is clear is that “Rhett” is a reference to one of the lead characters in Margaret Mitchell’s novel, Gone with the Wind, which was made into the Hollywood film with Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh. In the Boston University context, the “Rhett” nickname is, of itself, a play on words. Since our school color is scarlet, it was a short leap for students—or perhaps a sports publicist—to link Rhett to Scarlett O’Hara, the other romantic lead in the book and movie.

Despite this seemingly cute connection between the movie and our mascot’s name, the fact is that the movie’s portrayal of the American Civil War, postwar reconstruction, and slavery is offensive. And it is reasonable for people to question why, at a university founded by abolitionists, we have a mascot nicknamed for a character in a film whose racist depictions are completely at odds with our own tradition. It is time to address this question.

I have asked Harvey Young, dean of the College of Fine Arts, and Steve Hall, vice president for alumni relations, to cochair a committee to consider the question of whether the “Rhett” nickname should be retired. The committee will be composed of representatives from the alumni community, undergraduate and graduate students, faculty members, and representatives from Athletics. We are currently working to recruit these committee members.

I have asked our cochairs to develop a work plan, engage the Boston University community, deliberate, and offer a recommendation for my consideration by mid-October. I look forward to reporting back to you.
      Please stay safe and well.

With best wishes,
      Robert A. Brown

President
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I had no idea that mutt had a nickname beyond "flea bag."
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

https://twitter.com/FenitN/status/1278368124136493056

At anti-D.C. statehood press conference, Senator Steve Daines (R-Mt.) urges lawmakers to "go out to where the real people are at across the country and ask them where they think."
          So the people who live in DC are what...androids?

Well the White ones...the Black ones are animals I am sure.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Stonewall Jackson statue in Richmond going down like it was Chancellorsville again ;-)
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Stonewall Jackson statue in Richmond going down like it was Chancellorsville again ;-)

Comment

I'm sure this was just a misunderstanding...

An isolated case here or there is one thing, but as often as this is happening it is not a coincidence or just micro-aggression or sub-conscious racism. These people are doing it on purpose because it is a state sanctioned way to harass black people. I mean what kind of a person is going to park in some random hotel parking lot just to use a fvcking pool?

Whether or not this person was fired (the article says they no longer work there but does not further elaborate) I applaud the fact they are not there anymore. I HOPE people's lives are made difficult or even destroyed by job loss when they choose to act on their bigoted impulses. Hopefully the next black woman taking advantage of a pool in her hotel can swim in relative peace while some bigoted hotel employee at least keeps his or her mouth shut because they don't want to lose their job.

Comment

https://twitter.com/_SJPeace_/status...19087539331072

Good god...
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The least capable people in the country. It's obvious why they gravitate to the right. They have no capacity to achieve anything; all they have is their fear and viciousness.

Every country has a lint filter for its worst third: a right wing of racism, homophobia, and ammosexuality.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Happened about a mile from my parents' house. Fun times.

Comment

How the South was stolen from America.
                        Cornell University

Comment

What a wonderful response by the Auburn Hills PD

(Also another reason why this “every little suburb needs its own PD” needs to end)
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            What a wonderful response by the Auburn Hills PD

(Also another reason why this “every little suburb needs its own PD” needs to end)
                            Everyone wants to jump on AH, and (while I don't know if they have their own problems), they're right in correcting the Tweet.

Unfortunately a little more tact could have been used in their redirect, but that would also have been greeted with similar responses. It's lose/lose.

I do agree that there needs to be some form of re-organizing/consolidating of resources. Unfortunately, the Michigan State Police has been scaling back due to budget concerns of their own over the last twenty years, leaving local County Sheriff departments, township police, and local city police departments to cover. The local Sheriff departments have also had budget issues, so that leaves you the well funded departments running roughshod.

With all that said: This woman was brandishing a firearm in a threatening manner (textbook, unlike the capitol protests). She needs the book thrown at her and I really don't give a sh** if she's just an innocent misunderstood white girl. Make her an example. And I don't mean an example where people like her can get away with this in the future.
                            Last edited by aparch; 07-02-2020, 09:53 AM.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Everyone wants to jump on AH, and (while I don't know if they have their own problems), they're right in correcting the Tweet.

Unfortunately a little more tact could have been used in their redirect, but that would also have been greeted with similar responses. It's lose/lose.

I do agree that there needs to be some form of re-organizing/consolidating of resources. Unfortunately, the Michigan State Police has been scaling back due to budget concerns of their own over the last twenty years, leaving local County Sheriff departments, township police, and local city police departments to cover. The local Sheriff departments have also had budget issues, so that leaves you the well funded departments running roughshod.

With all that said: This woman was brandishing a firearm in a threatening manner (textbook, unlike the capitol protests). She needs the book thrown at her and I really don't give a sh** if she's just an innocent misunderstood white girl. Make her an example. And I don't mean an example where people like her can get away with this in the future.
                              I couldn't tell from the video what the backstory is. It looks like another BS parking lot argument or something. Has anyone seen news stories that suggest what occurred?

That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

If AHPD had tweeted “This incident occured at X, which is unfortunately not in our jurisdiction. We have however forwarded this to (insert relevant authority) for investigation. Thank you for notifying us.” AHPD wouldn’t be getting any flak.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X