Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    So people have been noticing that twitter always focuses on the white person in a picture and not any of the darker-skinned people. Recently it’s become a meme and they’ve been doing things like black lab vs yellow lab, Lenny vs Carl (also Simpsons), and every time the lighter subject gets focus.

and finally, the source:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L104LViQeIw

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    I admit it...I dont get it.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    There have been a slew of sad and hilarious black vs white people being focused on by Twitter’s algorithm, but this one takes the ****ing cake

https://twitter.com/aftertheboop/sta...863888896?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Follow up:

The car was linked to a pro cop activist and there is video of the cops protecting people getting into the car before it sped off into the crowd.

https://twitter.com/NoahHurowitz/sta...73210988822528

edit: mind some of the language. The person filming is not very PC...
    The tweet has been taken down. Also there's maybe more to the story.

The protesters were said to have recognized the vehicle from the prior counter-protests and surrounded it, including a bicyclist who blocked the car from moving further.

The vehicle involved appears to be formerly used as a police cruiser, complete with a bull bar in the front, likely purchased at a surplus auction. Police say it was not an NYPD vehicle.

Two people struck the car window, one with a punch and one banging on it.

At that point, the car started to accelerate through the crowd and ultimately sped away, making a quick right onto Broadway into traffic.

"We are lucky there was no vehicle collision," a police official said.

Officers had previously asked the counter-protesters to leave the area and cleared a route for them under the Marriott Marquis Hotel, using its taxi stand. But the driver instead continued east on 46th Street.

Authorities are now investigating whether a crime was committed. Detectives are attempting to talk to the people in the vehicle or the protesters at the location.

They say no one has come forward or claimed they were hurt, though the protesters have their own volunteer medical unit to treat minor injuries.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-05-2020, 02:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Follow up:

The car was linked to a pro cop activist and there is video of the cops protecting people getting into the car before it sped off into the crowd.

https://twitter.com/NoahHurowitz/sta...73210988822528

edit: mind some of the language. The person filming is not very PC...

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    A car drove through a BLM protest in Times Square...

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I don't know anything about the Portland events, but it sucks about your friend. Our truly great friends are our long term friends. They're the ones with whom we share the huge bank of memories.

Honestly, we live in a forest, or a North Dakota grass prairie, that hasn't seen measurable rain for a couple of years. A single spark creates immeasurable damage.

If I could have spoken to you before you responded to your friend, now knowing the backstory, I would have told you to respond with your first sentence and hold the rest. Your complete response is entirely appropriate for a response on this board had it been me, for example, who posted the video. But I wouldn't have sent it to your friend.

I hope you can repair that relationship, if that's your choice.
    I agree; I should have waited until morning. Nothing that happens after 2 a.m. is productive.

On the other hand, this is a good friend. We have heard the chimes at midnight. And, current dalliance with RWNJery aside, he's a very smart man. He can see around corners and outside the heat of these arguments he is wise enough to know Paris is worth a mass.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. And hey -- maybe I've got an opening now for a knuck friend! ;-)

Edit: he responded (this morning) saying (1) what worries him is they weren't a gang, they were a random cross section of people walking around and they were all hated-crazed, (2) you can't arrest somebody when you've defunded the cops, and (3) he's voting for Biden reluctantly because even with all that Dump is unacceptable.

I sent him back a single sentence: "You are more important to me than politics."

So we're cool.

I will try not to be such an as-shole on the Cafe moving forward. This resolution will probably last until lunch. :-)

Last edited by Kepler; 08-25-2020, 09:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Some background: my friend went ballistic a few months ago after I sent him some stuff documenting attacks by white supremacists on the protesters, and also documenting how at least some of the violence was committed by right wing groups pretending to be protesters as agents provocateur. He basically went nuts about it and ended our 35-year friendship, then apologized a few days later. I agreed not to poke him on politics and scrupulously stuck to that. Now he sends me this.

This is how I responded to him:
    I don't know anything about the Portland events, but it sucks about your friend. Our truly great friends are our long term friends. They're the ones with whom we share the huge bank of memories.

Honestly, we live in a forest, or a North Dakota grass prairie, that hasn't seen measurable rain for a couple of years. A single spark creates immeasurable damage.

If I could have spoken to you before you responded to your friend, now knowing the backstory, I would have told you to respond with your first sentence and hold the rest. Your complete response is entirely appropriate for a response on this board had it been me, for example, who posted the video. But I wouldn't have sent it to your friend.

I hope you can repair that relationship, if that's your choice.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Some background: my friend went ballistic a few months ago after I sent him some stuff documenting attacks by white supremacists on the protesters, and also documenting how at least some of the violence was committed by right wing groups pretending to be protesters as agents provocateur. He basically went nuts about it and ended our 35-year friendship, then apologized a few days later. I agreed not to poke him on politics and scrupulously stuck to that. Now he sends me this.

This is how I responded to him:

On this video: all the people attacking innocents should go to prison.

As evidence of the generalized racist and violent delusions the right has about society: it means nothing. This is a bunch of thug as-sholes committing a hate crime – send them to prison. On the other hand, the people in the Comments glorying in it as justification for their racist worldview are more dangerous, because they are more numerous and have access to more powerful weapons as well as media outlets and a political party that (currently) controls most of our government. So I am more scared of them. The kids in the video are a gang of lethal thugs who could kill dozens. The people circle jerking in the comments are Hutus who could kill millions.

This sh-t could destroy our friendship. I made a mistake a few months ago, now you have made one. No more of this. Let us regard one another as idiots, but friends.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-25-2020, 12:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    A good friend of mine who has become an off the hook racist Dumpy sent me this. It's a REALLY bad attack by a mixed race group of Portland kids on a couple people. The Comments are horrific for other reasons.

I'd like to know if anybody's seen it or knows anything about it.

News story.

Last edited by Kepler; 08-25-2020, 12:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    So apparently in the hopes of scaring the base a few Right Wing sites started talking about "Antifa Goes to Sturgis" trying to make it seem like riots and violence are gonna happen. (there is a video of the "incident" where like 6 people showed up to counter protest...maybe) Most likely is it is completely staged and on Twitter the hashtag is all liberals mocking the obvious BS of it all. A few cons are around though pretending this is legit.

I would post the link but I dont want to give the powerlineblog, which is who leaked the video of the "incident", the clicks.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    https://twitter.com/hellokatepayne/s...326579715?s=21

For when Iowa gets back from crying about how no one is paying attention to how they picked up their community.

Someone might want to tell them their subtle racism is not-so-subtle anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

They'd tip over.
    “Took a lot of money to make that statue look that cheap.”

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Confederate Rally in Stone Mountain Georgia. Bunch of Larpers in camo with assault rifles there to "protect the rally" because counter protesters from BLM are there protesting the rally. (armed with very very dangerous signs and chants!!)

Remember though the young people with spray paint and water bottles are the danger!! The GI Joe wannabes with the body armor and the high powered guns are the true patriots!
    Apparently Stone Mountain shut the gates in the 3%er dopes' faces. M O R O N L A M E.

Just sandblast the dumb thing. It won't draw Nazis anymore.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Question....

do we have budget cuts and impacts to systemic racism to thanks for rap?

back when music was taught and instruments available for black musicians to create rock and blues

however recent generations didn’t have access to this. So they created rap instead.

very few of the biggest stars can play instruments and use their skills to sample and mix incredible art.

now there are true musicians like flav who can play multiple instruments

but while mookie can imagine snoop learning guitar and becoming another chuck berry, can one assume this situation caused him to find his voice in this alternate path...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X