Can we go back to the prior format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    support for Windows 7 ended in January 2020 and all remaining customers are expected to upgrade to Windows 10 to continue receiving updates and customer support.
    This is the sole reason my boss finally approved us moving up from a DB suite 8 years out of date to one just 2 years out of date. We had no choice.

Obsolescence is your friend. It's the reason we're not all still stuck with WordPerfect.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

This is the sole reason my boss finally approved us moving up from a DB suite 8 years out of date to one just 2 years out of date. We had no choice.

Obsolescence is your friend. It's the reason we're not all still stuck with WordPerfect.
      I still use Word Perfect, but I don't regard it as "stuck" because IMHO it is a superior product in most respects.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I still use Word Perfect, but I don't regard it as "stuck" because IMHO it is a superior product in most respects.
        The only people I know still using WordPerfect are attorneys who are so obstinate, self-important, and obsolete they use 8.5 x 14.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• But if they stopped supporting the latest version why did we seem to revert to a version that was already not supported (confused face) WOuldn't it keep on running but just not have anything new? Bodies are supposed to be confusing. Computers are supposed to make sense or at least that is what they always told me.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            But if they stopped supporting the latest version why did we seem to revert to a version that was already not supported (confused face) WOuldn't it keep on running but just not have anything new? Bodies are supposed to be confusing. Computers are supposed to make sense or at least that is what they always told me.
            They didn't revert, they moved on to the next version. The next version just sucks.

You can't keep running software that isn't supported for very long because there are no patches and no tech support and also whatever it talks to will quickly make changes that break the connections to the software. The only thing that keeps a particular version of software functional is the O&M tail.

In some cases like Windows your key will fail -- they won't let you keep running old software. That's okay if you're Joe Schmoe, you just find a workaround. But if your product or service is commercial that violates the EULA and you're in trouble or in any case without recourse if anything happens that damages your users.

It's the same reason you can't be below code if you run a hotel. I mean, yeah... you can be... for a while. But it's an excellent way to get into serious trouble.
            Last edited by Kepler; 08-05-2020, 04:04 PM.
            Cornell University

Comment

They didn't revert, they moved on to the next version. The next version just sucks.

You can't keep running software that isn't supported for very long because there are no patches and no tech support and also whatever it talks to will quickly make changes that break the connections to the software. The only thing that keeps a particular version of software functional is the O&M tail.

In some cases like Windows your key will fail -- they won't let you keep running old software. That's okay if you're Joe Schmoe, you just find a workaround. But if your product or service is commercial that violates the EULA and you're in trouble or in any case without recourse if anything happens that damages your users.

It's the same reason you can't be below code if you run a hotel. I mean, yeah... you can be... for a while. But it's an excellent way to get into serious trouble.
              OK, I get it now. So basically they went retro, got rid of anything that would make it functional and decided that if you weren't on here when they had the very first version they were going to go the nostalgic route

Comment

• Can "board" at least ban the obvious troll that's poisoning a very active thread?
                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                  Can "board" at least ban the obvious troll that's poisoning a very active thread?
                  Telling you- the idjits responding to him have not stopped. If they want to show volume, which Board is significantly lacking after this abomination, they can't take the risk of decreasing the post count

Comment

• So...since it appears that nothing is being done to fix or improve this site do we want to look into maybe starting our own board? I have been looking into it this morning and we could probably start up something with much better functionality than this. I am willing to look into having it hosted (I dont have a server so it would be web hosted) and will even pay for it. (the prices arent too bad from what I gather)

Assuming we are willing and able to do this what would we want out of the forum? I am probably going to go with something like phpbb since it has a ridiculous amount of functionality (and doesnt cost $Texas like Xenforo or vbulletin) for all of us...but I would be open to any and all ideas. If we want to do this, it is important we make this as pleasant an experience for all of us.

I feel like we have a good swath of people who represent various different needs and likes and when it comes to forums so I think we can get a good representative sample and can figure something out that will be pleasing to all of us.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      So...since it appears that nothing is being done to fix or improve this site do we want to look into maybe starting our own board? I have been looking into it this morning and we could probably start up something with much better functionality than this. I am willing to look into having it hosted (I dont have a server so it would be web hosted) and will even pay for it. (the prices arent too bad from what I gather)

Assuming we are willing and able to do this what would we want out of the forum? I am probably going to go with something like phpbb since it has a ridiculous amount of functionality (and doesnt cost $Texas like Xenforo or vbulletin) for all of us...but I would be open to any and all ideas. If we want to do this, it is important we make this as pleasant an experience for all of us.

I feel like we have a good swath of people who represent various different needs and likes and when it comes to forums so I think we can get a good representative sample and can figure something out that will be pleasing to all of us.
                      I’m in and can Venmo some cash

Comment

• I will contribute. My first instinct is to affiliate with another college hockey provider as a way of recruiting new fans. We are... how can I put this?... really, really old.

The thirty-somethings on our forum are the "kids." That aint it, folks. We need to appeal to the fans who were undergrads sometime within the last decade. Maybe even... gasp... current students.

Plus that way we can remind the little f-ckers to vote.

Last edited by Kepler; 08-07-2020, 05:27 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Unfortunately Forums are a dying thing used by us old ****s.... For NMU at least, we have a decent amount of current students posting on NMU Hockey related posts and in an NMU Hockey Facebook group. But a few times I've mentioned USCHO for one reason or another, I just get blank stares. That is where them kids are after I kick them off the lawn...
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I will contribute. My first instinct is to affiliate with another college hockey provider as a way of recruiting new fans. We are... how can I put this?... really, really old.

The thirty-somethings on our forum are the "kids." That aint it, folks. We need to appeal to the fans who were undergrads sometime within the last decade. Maybe even... gasp... current students.

Plus that way we can remind the little f-ckers to vote.

That’s because they’re using Twitter, or other real-time social media that I don’t yet know exists. We’re the legacy users on what’s becoming a niche social media platform, and I don’t mean this specific site.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

That’s because they’re using Twitter, or other real-time social media that I don’t yet know exists. We’re the legacy users on what’s becoming a niche social media platform, and I don’t mean this specific site.
                              Makes sense. I assume since I have heard of twitter, tumblr, and instagram the kids have long left them as obsolete as buggy whips.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• They still use those...but they prefer Tik Tok and stuff like that. I have never even looked at that...

Twitter I like as an aggregator...and if I want to yell at people who say racist stuff.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X