No announcement yet.

Can we go back to the prior format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like how it gives me a notification saying I've been quoted, but then does not tell me which of my posts was quoted and in what post it was quoted in.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      There was supposed to be an improvement for mobile users switching to this format and I'm still trying to figure out what was changed for the better. The only one I can think of is that the text size for the thread list is larger, but I think they may have even gone overboard with that. It's gigantic now.

Most boards on mobile try to minimize the size of the username and other user information since there isn't enough real estate to format things. On the browser you can put all that info into a nice sidebar, but that doesn't work in mobile since most are reading it in portrait mode. Instead of just leaving us with a username they include all of the sidebar information on the top bar, but now there's roughly a one inch block containing name, slogan, rep bar, join date, and number of posts. That just isn't needed on mobile. Especially when it's larger than the area the actual text of the post is taking up, which happens if someone uses less than four or five lines.

Signatures should not show up on mobile. This may be an option within settings, but since I'm not logged in 100% of the time that isn't a full-time solution. Some people have multiple quotes in their signature. Again, not a huge deal on a browser where there's more space to work with, but not great on mobile where it should be fairly minimalist.

The above were just criticism about design. That doesn't even touch on actual utilization being more difficult. Last post, if you're in portrait, doesn't even say who made the last post, and the "go to" button is smaller than the old "last page" or "page number" buttons. Not to mention those are gone now too, so now you always have to start a thread at the beginning or at the end and work your way to the last part of the thread you missed.

I still don't know how a newer version can disable embedding tweets. Twitter is almost 15 years old at this point.

Ok, I think my airing of grievances is done.
      So I've complained a few times that it does not at all show up in my Safari. I think I know why- when I was using chrome, I noticed how incredibly obnoxious the ads were- like even being logged in, there would be an ad for every single post. But since the ads are so uncontrolled, random, and slow things down a LOT- I've been employing an ad blocker- which works for Safari but not Chrome.

Which means that the new board software blocks the board when you have an ad blocker on a mobile device.

And that means that I will not be using the board on my mobile device, as the ads are really bad. Yes, i know it's google, but they put so bulky of ads in, including video ads, that I just can't deal with them.

IMHO, the ads can be better controlled than that, and if they do, then I will unblock the ads, and the owners can make money. Until then, well....

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Maybe new tech is leaning towards deliberately NOT embedding twitter, on purpose, for security (or just good social practice)?
        Nah the other board I go to that switched to this format allows tweets. They added the feature a day after the reboot IIRC. I am pretty sure you just need the admin to go in and click on the option. At worst it is a mod you add that doesnt take much effort at all. And that place posts tweets at a much higher rate. They also allow posts from other sites like Instagram or Vero and even Tik Tock I think.

If I had to guess the admins of this board are asleep at the wheel.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

How the hell are you supposed to go to the first unread post in a thread? I tried to go to latest posts and all it does it bring me to the first post in the thread. Even the ones I started reading from the beginning. This is really the worst downgrade of software I think I have dealt with. Stopped following almost every thread. Too much work and clicking to get to what used to be a click to get to

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            How the hell are you supposed to go to the first unread post in a thread? I tried to go to latest posts and all it does it bring me to the first post in the thread. Even the ones I started reading from the beginning. This is really the worst downgrade of software I think I have dealt with. Stopped following almost every thread. Too much work and clicking to get to what used to be a click to get to
            Latest activity takes you to the most recent post. You have to scroll back to where you last were. I don't think it saves where you were on the thread anymore.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Latest activity takes you to the most recent post. You have to scroll back to where you last were. I don't think it saves where you were on the thread anymore.
              The double down-arrow at the left of the tread title
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

They don't allow tweets but make it easy to tweet something from here using the link on the left.
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 06-12-2020, 11:45 PM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

The double down-arrow at the left of the tread title
                  Thank you!
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    They don't allow tweets make it easy to tweet something from here using the link on the left.
                    Which nobody wants...
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

MIne brings me to the very beginning. If I try to go to the last page it still brings me to the same place.

Comment

I had to go back to "Posts" because I had the same issue with "Last Activity". Posts takes me to the new posts in threads if I click the double arrow.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

As one who has run forum software for a long time... I feel the pain you are all having. But like it was said before, vBulletin 4 was at its end of life so they needed to upgrade. With vB there is always a cost. This software is not free. Any upgrades and MODs are not free as well.

This is a massive board, with massive amounts of users... But there are only a few people that actually implement these types of changes. Likely one or two people. It's summer... The college hockey "offseason"... This is the perfect time to make these kind of changes and use that time to iron the problems out before the season starts up again.

So be patient and things will get tweaked over time.
                          Gopher Puck Live

Comment

Well Holy crap Jup is here! [insert shocked face here]

I think purple would be less abhorred if the moderator we all know stopped by to communicate with us.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Jupiter View Post
                              As one who has run forum software for a long time... I feel the pain you are all having. But like it was said before, vBulletin 4 was at its end of life so they needed to upgrade. With vB there is always a cost. This software is not free. Any upgrades and MODs are not free as well.

This is a massive board, with massive amounts of users... But there are only a few people that actually implement these types of changes. Likely one or two people. It's summer... The college hockey "offseason"... This is the perfect time to make these kind of changes and use that time to iron the problems out before the season starts up again.

So be patient and things will get tweaked over time.
                              This sounds just like something the man would say. : )

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Well Holy crap Jup is here! [insert shocked face here]

I think purple would be less abhorred if the moderator we all know stopped by to communicate with us.
                                Who actually are the moderators?

Another comment.... the ads make the mobile version almost unusable.

Comment

Working...
                                X