No announcement yet.

Can we go back to the prior format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else having trouble posting URL linked headlines? I find I no longer seem to be able to, although clearly some are able to. The format changes always take a few days to get used to, but these changes are just awful.

Comment

...couldn’t they have added like an Old Salty beast mode or Scarface kinda rage mode on here? I mean, destroy how the site looks, fine (guess i’ll Visit here less) but at least give us something fun to do.

remember when we had “Free the USCHO 3???”. “Dirty, we see you lurking!”

Thoughts after too much coffee and not enough ****s to give anymore.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        ...couldn’t they have added like an Old Salty beast mode or Scarface kinda rage mode on here? I mean, destroy how the site looks, fine (guess i’ll Visit here less) but at least give us something fun to do.

remember when we had “Free the USCHO 3???”. “Dirty, we see you lurking!”

Thoughts after too much coffee and not enough ****s to give anymore.
        USCHO has never been quite the same since NAPALM was picked up for human trafficking or whatever happened to those losers. The site IQ went up but the Schadenfreude Quotient for watching knucks get their balls handed to them and not even realize it went way down. The Bay of UNH Pigs earlier this year was the closest we've come to that level of whack-a-mole since.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Whoa! Kepler, I missed that one from this year. Wow.

Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Agree... this change is terrible. The old site was much better. Doubt I will use it much any more.

Comment

It is almost as if they are trying to sabotage the forum with some of these changes. Does USCHO WANT to get rid of it? Because they seem to be driving a lot of people away. It appears the rate of posting on a number of these threads has slowed way down. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it, but so far the opinion seems pretty universal that this version is much worse. I wonder if the USCHO PTB are paying attention.

Comment

too bright. brain hurts.

Comment

Pretty sure vBulletin 4 is going or has gone EOL, so don't expect any rollback.

Comment

Piling on- this ain't no improvement. Lost some of the features I used all the time, can't see the threads I subscribed to, they killed my avatar and the ads are intrusive. I have been trying to decrease my screen time. This should help- all the things that kept me on have been killed or made next to impossible to navigate without multiple steps.

Comment

Saw the board went offline last night, and assumed they were trying to fix stuff. I don't see any changes today, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Well for some reason that advanced editor is toggled off...
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

There was supposed to be an improvement for mobile users switching to this format and I'm still trying to figure out what was changed for the better. The only one I can think of is that the text size for the thread list is larger, but I think they may have even gone overboard with that. It's gigantic now.

Most boards on mobile try to minimize the size of the username and other user information since there isn't enough real estate to format things. On the browser you can put all that info into a nice sidebar, but that doesn't work in mobile since most are reading it in portrait mode. Instead of just leaving us with a username they include all of the sidebar information on the top bar, but now there's roughly a one inch block containing name, slogan, rep bar, join date, and number of posts. That just isn't needed on mobile. Especially when it's larger than the area the actual text of the post is taking up, which happens if someone uses less than four or five lines.

Signatures should not show up on mobile. This may be an option within settings, but since I'm not logged in 100% of the time that isn't a full-time solution. Some people have multiple quotes in their signature. Again, not a huge deal on a browser where there's more space to work with, but not great on mobile where it should be fairly minimalist.

The above were just criticism about design. That doesn't even touch on actual utilization being more difficult. Last post, if you're in portrait, doesn't even say who made the last post, and the "go to" button is smaller than the old "last page" or "page number" buttons. Not to mention those are gone now too, so now you always have to start a thread at the beginning or at the end and work your way to the last part of the thread you missed.

I still don't know how a newer version can disable embedding tweets. Twitter is almost 15 years old at this point.

Ok, I think my airing of grievances is done.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Maybe new tech is leaning towards deliberately NOT embedding twitter, on purpose, for security (or just good social practice)?
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Maybe new tech is leaning towards deliberately NOT embedding twitter, on purpose, for security (or just good social practice)?
                              Most likely, because a lot of the HTML tricks I knew are now broken (err, fixed) in this new format
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                It’s possible, since language filters and whatnot don’t apply to embedded tweets. If that’s the reasoning, it makes sense.

All the other display and interface issues? Maybe there are still some tweaks needed. I hope so at least.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X