Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.45: The Wall or a Shut Down. Your Choice Pelosi!!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.45: The Wall or a Shut Down. Your Choice Pelosi!!!!!!

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Wait...asking people to assimilate to the norms of a society is racist? That might be the most obscenely ridiculous thing I have read all week.

I am not sure I like the idea of a pee test though when they enter background check should suffice.

I find it funny that Rube basically just gave a 3 step immigration process that is easier than anything us liberals have come up with and you are all attacking him for it. For all intents and purposes his policy opens the border if you arent a criminal. No need for special dispensations, no need for asylum...nothing. Just come here, pass a background check, get asked a few questions as to what you plan to do in America and then get your Green Card. (you couldnt just hand them citizenship Rube they would need to be put on a path)

If Obama had done this you all would have been dancing a Jig and I would have been doing it with you. Basically Rube wants to go back to the Ellis Island system.
    I'd be open to tweaks (your point about the pee test, and citizenship path). Obviously there would be some details to be worked out, etc.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Wait...asking people to assimilate to the norms of a society is racist? That might be the most obscenely ridiculous thing I have read all week.

I am not sure I like the idea of a pee test though when they enter background check should suffice.

I find it funny that Rube basically just gave a 3 step immigration process that is easier than anything us liberals have come up with and you are all attacking him for it. For all intents and purposes his policy opens the border if you arent a criminal. No need for special dispensations, no need for asylum...nothing. Just come here, pass a background check, get asked a few questions as to what you plan to do in America and then get your Green Card. (you couldnt just hand them citizenship Rube they would need to be put on a path)

If Obama had done this you all would have been dancing a Jig and I would have been doing it with you. Basically Rube wants to go back to the Ellis Island system.
      It can be viewed that way, but extremely vague laws and regulations are very easy to abuse. Assuming the applicant has the burden of proof, how do you prove you will be a productive member of society to someone who does not want you in?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        It can be viewed that way, but extremely vague laws and regulations are very easy to abuse. Assuming the applicant has the burden of proof, how do you prove you will be a productive member of society to someone who does not want you in?
        I would guess that a good number of people who want to enter this country have some sort of connection here already. Family, friends, maybe even a job of some sorts lined up. To use my "job interview" comparison, an employer can get a feel for a person when interviewing them. I would like to think the same thing applies here.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

He wasn't asking about the norms, but the culture. There's a difference. One is just knowing that you should not do X or Y in a country. The other is part of your identity.

As a reminder here's the post:

That being said, the immigration system needs to be more efficient/streamlined. Background check, pee test, a few questions to show that they can acclimate to our laws/culture/etc, good to go.
          That's not saying you should be aware that jaywalking isn't legal, that more about you need to change your identity. Not sure how you read "culture" and change that into "norms".

And yes, making one lose your home culture to assimilate to your culture can easily be racist. It's not as if brent hasn't been called out on that thinking before.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            He wasn't asking about the norms, but the culture. There's a difference. One is just knowing that you should not do X or Y in a country. The other is part of your identity.

As a reminder here's the post:

That's not saying you should be aware that jaywalking isn't legal, that more about you need to change your identity. Not sure how you read "culture" and change that into "norms".

And yes, making one lose your home culture to assimilate to your culture can easily be racist. It's not as if brent hasn't been called out on that thinking before.
            And if you read back, I said that "culture" was the wrong word to use, and that was my error.

Comment

Chris Christie says thanks but no thanks to the job

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                So anyone wondering if the summer camp at the border for the kids is that great...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.ebaebd458b46

It's not.

joe, a kid died. You should be outraged. Just reminding you.
                Man, imagine if that had been a fetus!

But luckily, it's just a boring old living and breathing person with hopes and dreams and yada yada yada.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  I would guess that a good number of people who want to enter this country have some sort of connection here already. Family, friends, maybe even a job of some sorts lined up. To use my "job interview" comparison, an employer can get a feel for a person when interviewing them. I would like to think the same thing applies here.
                  Yeah, its called chain migration. Red Don wants to end that too.

But not before it got the parents of his eff pig citizenship.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

"Nobody except for me would be looked at like this -- nobody," Donald Trump said, asked about his alleged campaign crimes.
                    He's not too familiar with the Presidency is he? Being Celebrity Apprentice Dude doesn't get near the scrutiny.

What a *****.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      Lol. Omg.

Literally no one wants this **** job.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        He's not too familiar with the Presidency is he? Being Celebrity Apprentice Dude doesn't get near the scrutiny.

What a *****.
                        He's President solely because his opponent got ten times the scrutiny over thirty years. What a sniveling *****.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          He's President solely because his opponent got ten times the scrutiny over thirty years. What a sniveling *****.
                          True. Very true.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            No way he was eating anymore White House meatloaf.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Lol. Omg.

Literally no one wants this **** job.
                              Jared Kushner does.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Jared Kushner does.
                                Kushner sucks at the jobs he already has. Plus I don't know how you can be chief of staff when you can't even get the proper security clearance to do the job.

Comment

Working...
                                X