This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Not necessarily. One could be a drunk, an a*hole, a racist, etc, but there may be a line that that person DOESN'T cross, you know? Look at some lifers in prison. They've murdered, they've raped, they've robbed, but put a pedophile in their company? That pedo is gonna be whupped. Doesn't mean the lifer is a good person, it just means that that is a line that they won't cross.
    Because liars about small things are truthful about the big things? That's not how that works, generally speaking.

Comment

• Re: SCOTUS 13: Confirmation consternation contemplation

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      So are we now to believe that his classmates at Yale are part of the left wing conspiracy?
      Obviously...I mean, his name IS Chad.....

I bet his incel fans love that.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

And the reason he's lying about not being a big drinker, is that, the bigger, sloppier drunk he is, the more probable that he could have assaulted someone and have no memory of it the next day.

His whole defense is, I never assaulted anyone, and my memory is perfectly clear about everything in my past.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          I did once. Scared the shiat out of me. Never let it happen again. Didn't pass out, crawled into bed like any other night. Just couldn't remember a freaking thing after a certain point in the night.

You know it when you've done it, and other people know it when it happens to a friend.
          So in your whole life it's happened once. Yet you don't really believe someone like me when I say it's happened to me one time less than that?

Do you know when it's happening or has happened to a friend when you yourself are very intoxicated? I believe that is what K's classmate says, that he drank heavily with K and got smashed. Sure, perhaps if you have to literally carry them home with their eyes rolled back in their head and tongue lolling out, I get you might accurately make that assessment of someone else. Nobody has said that kind of thing about K to my knowledge. I don't believe stumbling or even slurring some words means that person automatically won't remember what happened. No doubt I've been in that condition on many an occasion as a youngster, but I'm not lying when I say I've never had the experience of not remembering. I tended bar to get through college and have seen thousands of drunks. Some, astonishingly, remember everything quite clearly the next day, some just don't. I disagree with your premise that someone else can make that definitive assessment of someone else's experience so easily.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

If he did what she said he did, he's done, I think everyone except Mitch will agree.

If he lied about his drinking habits, he's done because he cannot be trusted. And for the additional reason that we can probably safely conclude he committed the act and lied about that too.

Personally, the unhinged guy I saw Thursday should not be sitting on the SC in any event. I can see why his classmates are coming out with statements that contradict his testimony.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              So in your whole life it's happened once. Yet you don't really believe someone like me when I say it's happened to me one time less than that?

Do you know when it's happening or has happened to a friend when you yourself are very intoxicated? I believe that is what K's classmate says, that he drank heavily with K and got smashed. Sure, perhaps if you have to literally carry them home with their eyes rolled back in their head and tongue lolling out, I get you might accurately make that assessment of someone else. Nobody has said that kind of thing about K to my knowledge. I don't believe stumbling or even slurring some words means that person automatically won't remember what happened. No doubt I've been in that condition on many an occasion as a youngster, but I'm not lying when I say I've never had the experience of not remembering. I tended bar to get through college and have seen thousands of drunks. Some, astonishingly, remember everything quite clearly the next day, some just don't. I disagree with your premise that someone else can make that definitive assessment of someone else's experience so easily.
              Blacking out != passing out. There are telltale signs when someone crosses the threshold even when they're not aware of it themselves at the time. I can tell you several college friends who blacked out a lot.

Kavanaugh's classmates have stated he lied when he said he never blacked out. I believe them.

And I never said you've blacked out. I'm saying Kavanaugh did based on the evidence presented.
              Last edited by unofan; 10-01-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                If he did what she said he did, he's done, I think everyone except Mitch will agree.

If he lied about his drinking habits, he's done because he cannot be trusted. And for the additional reason that we can probably safely conclude he committed the act and lied about that too.

Personally, the unhinged guy I saw Thursday should not be sitting on the SC in any event. I can see why his classmates are coming out with statements that contradict his testimony.
                This is the part that bugs me. Just because he may have lied about one thing, doesn't make it true that he is lying about the other.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

This is the part that bugs me. Just because he may have lied about one thing, doesn't make it true that he is lying about the other.
                  But it makes it a helluva lot more likely he is.

Do you have to independently assess everything trump says, or do you just assume everything he says is a lie at this point like his track record shows?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Lying about anything under oath disqualifies you from this position. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      Lying about anything under oath disqualifies you from this position. Period.
                      I covered that part earlier. I am concentrating on only the assault allegation. Whether he's qualified to serve as SCOTUS is another matter (and I don't believe he is).
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I think for a lot of people it's the things we know or suspect he has lied about that has people questioning others.
                        Lying about boofing or devil's triangle is small and fairly easy to verify...why lie about it?
                        Drinking to blacking out? Can be verified by your friends...again why lie about it?
                        That's the thing...if you are willing to lie about small things and be so adamant about it...it isn't a stretch to buy that you are lying about the much bigger issue.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                          I think for a lot of people it's the things we know or suspect he has lied about that has people questioning others.
                          Lying about boofing or devil's triangle is small and fairly easy to verify...why lie about it?
                          Drinking to blacking out? Can be verified by your friends...again why lie about it?
                          That's the thing...if you are willing to lie about small things and be so adamant about it...it isn't a stretch to buy that you are lying about the much bigger issue.
                          On the flipside, white lies about the small things that don't really harm anyone but oneself is one thing. Lying about a big thing that does harm others is another.

I know this is a few posts back, so in case anyone missed it...I am not saying Kav DIDN'T do it, but as of this moment, I cannot say he DID do it, either.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            If he's that kind of drinker wouldn't that have been a red flag in the six prior FBI background checks?
                            You would be amazed at how long HFAs can get away with heavy drinking. No DUIs, no "drunk and disorderlies", no bar fights.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              You would be amazed at how long HFAs can get away with heavy drinking. No DUIs, no "drunk and disorderlies", no bar fights.
                              This.

Comment

On the flipside, white lies about the small things that don't really harm anyone but oneself is one thing. Lying about a big thing that does harm others is another.

I know this is a few posts back, so in case anyone missed it...I am not saying Kav DIDN'T do it, but as of this moment, I cannot say he DID do it, either.
                                I don't know if anyone can say for sure he did it...but his answers reasonably push it in that direction. And considering this isn't a trial...i think that's enough.
                                His behavior (especially the way he attacked senators...Klobuchar big time...) should be disqualifying.
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X