• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rover
    replied
    Re: SCOTUS 13: Confirmation consternation contemplation

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    They could ram someone thru in the lame duck session if they needed to. McConnell would do it in a heartbeat. So I don't get it.
    I don't think they can. Right now the WH can't vet any replacements because that would undercut Kavanaugh before the vote. Purely for their own political survival, they cannot send another problematic nominee before the Senate right now. That means a really, really thorough vetting basically going back to conduct on the pre-school playground (as toddlers, unless Roy Moore or Dennis Hastert in the nominee ). That's going to take awhile especially with the election and holidays coming up, and then said nominee needs to meet with key Senators, etc.

Itch is going all in during October because that's the only hand he can play. If Republican retain the Senate, as expected, then they have time to find someone with no baggage. If they don't break out the popcorn because the recriminations are going to be legendary.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I don't think we're missing anything. I think Mitch knows that he won't get anyone through after the midterms and he only had time for one candidate. He begged Trump not to pick this guy. That was more about the paper involved, but someone probably knew he was a rich entitled white boy as well.

There must be something about the timing that has Mitch dying on the hill. It's the only thing that jives.
    But Graham isnt just playing the good soldier...he is doing his best Clarence Darrow impression here. He only ever got this emotional talking about John McCain. I am telling you there is something else. Maybe it is the Clinton thing...

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

There must be something about the timing that has Mitch dying on the hill. It's the only thing that jives.
    Does Mitch believe any action (yeah or nay) is better than inaction for his party's chances in November.
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 10-02-2018, 10:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

I'm saying any Democrat who provides the 51st vote will be persona non grata in the party. No one will care if they provide the 52nd.
    Yup. If Heitkamp or Manchin were even leaning yes Flake doesnt pull off the move he made. He is assuming no and I guarantee they arent voting yes unless every GOPer goes no.

Heitkamp would be better off switching parties because any chance the Dem Senate Committee helps her in any subsequent election is nil. They would openly go against her in the primaries and give her the least amount of money possible. She will get no good committee spots and will have no help on any legislation. Its career suicide at this point. Schumer will borrow from Itch's book.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

I'm saying any Democrat who provides the 51st vote will be persona non grata in the party. No one will care if they provide the 52nd.
    Imagine the nightmare scenarios:
    Two Rs say no, two jammed up Ds say yes.
    Or worse, three Rs say no, two Ds say yes, and Mike Pence goes "Van Halen".

That would require popcorn.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

They could ram someone thru in the lame duck session if they needed to. McConnell would do it in a heartbeat. So I don't get it.
    There has to be something about that that Mitch doesn't want to touch.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    I don't think we're missing anything. I think Mitch knows that he won't get anyone through after the midterms and he only had time for one candidate. He begged Trump not to pick this guy. That was more about the paper involved, but someone probably knew he was a rich entitled white boy as well.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Why this guy?
    Because he was on Romney's short list?

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

That is by far the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

And again there are dozens of judges just as qualified who will vote the way the GOP base wants them too (including ACB) and will skate through without the baggage. Why this guy? Why are the GOP really willing to die on a hill for a guy who the American people dont like and who is lacking in restraint? Why the hell does it matter to anyone but Trump? Graham will never be President so it isnt like it helps him in any way. Trump wont be removed from office (and even if he is they are better off with Pence than Trump cause Pence knows how to shut up) anyways so just pick someone else and be done with it. Do they really think this is helping them for the midterms? Since they started this BS the odds of the Senate flipping went from slim to possible and any chance the Blue Wave would subside went away. Politically this guy is killing them and even though they could have their cake and eat it too (SCJ and not take the hit at the polls) they are still trudging on.

There has to be more to it, what are we missing?

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

... while I wouldnt agree with them I could see solid legal footing for them which is all you can ask.
    And if the FBI came back with not just "unsubstantiated" but "untrue", you'd have a problem; however, Kavanaugh solved it for you (us) with ...

... assume he will be biased against them because of the things he said.
    He all but threatened directly to rule in one direction. He's stated he won't be disinterested. That's disturbing.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Lindsay Graham goes all in.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...lot-box-decide

To steal a phrase, "... bold strategy, Cotton."

I still say: If not Kavanaugh, it's Amy Coney Barttett.
    That is by far the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

And again there are dozens of judges just as qualified who will vote the way the GOP base wants them too (including ACB) and will skate through without the baggage. Why this guy? Why are the GOP really willing to die on a hill for a guy who the American people dont like and who is lacking in restraint? Why the hell does it matter to anyone but Trump? Graham will never be President so it isnt like it helps him in any way. Trump wont be removed from office (and even if he is they are better off with Pence than Trump cause Pence knows how to shut up) anyways so just pick someone else and be done with it. Do they really think this is helping them for the midterms? Since they started this BS the odds of the Senate flipping went from slim to possible and any chance the Blue Wave would subside went away. Politically this guy is killing them and even though they could have their cake and eat it too (SCJ and not take the hit at the polls) they are still trudging on.

There has to be more to it, what are we missing?

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    So, in your scenario, one (or more) R peels, Heidi votes no, and I'm left with Kevin Cramer as ND's junior Senator*.

*And if you've been paying attention, I'm no Cramer fan.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

There's a key: If the candidate freely offers it up, as the interviewer you're clean.
    Exactly. Did he act as his own attorney cause if he did he has a moron for a client. No lawyer with even a half of a brain lets him make the opening statement he made. He opened himself up to so much it isnt even funny. Never categorically say anything you cant fully prove (I never blacked out) because every hole they poke in your story becomes a hole in your credibility.

Plus speaking the way he did just makes you sound guilty. Think about when you were accused of something by your parents or a friend and you did it...how did you react if you went into denial? You say "I 100% never did that, I was never there, I never talked to that person, I was never in that room, I have no clue what you are talking about!!". Perception-wise the more vehemently you protest it the more it looks like you are lying. That is why you are always better off giving short answers like yes or no.

The last dumb thing he did was let his emotions get out of control. The crying is one thing (though to me it didnt look genuine at all it looks rehearsed) because this is a very scary thing to have happen to you if you are innocent, but you never get angry. You never lash out and you never attack the people asking you the questions. He not only attacked specific Senators because he didnt like their questions but he attacked half the citizens of the country by claiming anyone who buys any of this story is part of a Vast Left Wing Conspiracy.

For the record I dont think at this point Kavanaugh is a bad guy. I bet he treats his wife very respectfully for the most part. (unless he still drinks to excess) While I believe Ford, I also know in 1982 people watched Animal House and Porky's and Revenge of the Nerds and sick crap happened in that and was considered cool so the line is blurred. (I dont think he is a sexual predator now, I think he was then before that was really a thing) I bet if I went back and read his decisions, while I wouldnt agree with them I could see solid legal footing for them which is all you can ask. With that said he should NOT be on the Supreme Court. At this point anyone who is even left of center has to assume he will be biased against them because of the things he said. If the Dem party, or any organization with an open affiliation to them, brings suit and ends up before him they have to believe they wont get a fair shake. He cant just recuse himself from every liberal v conservative case so he shouldnt be there.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

The only 3 that matter are the first 3. No Dem will vote yes if they'd be the deciding vote.
    So, in your scenario, one (or more) R peels, Heidi votes no, and I'm left with Kevin Cramer as ND's junior Senator*.

*And if you've been paying attention, I'm no Cramer fan.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    The Supreme Court.
    Five votes.

No, not those.
    These.

Murkowski, Collins, Flake, Manchin, and Heitkamp.

Personally, I think Donnelly (D-IN) got short shrift. Depending on the first five he could be in the jam.
    The only 3 that matter are the first 3. No Dem will vote yes if they'd be the deciding vote.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X