X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 13: Confirmation consternation contemplation

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Ok that makes sense. But for myself, I drank A LOT as a young man. My 18th birthday, my older brother tried to murder me through alcohol poisoning, as was the custom. I remember even today, quite clearly, falling down and laying in the lawn on the way to my house, and thinking I could just stay there, but I probably really should get up and go in the house to avoid the mocking and harrassment I was sure to suffer the next day should I stay there. So I got up and went in. I have just never had that experience that I didn't remember what happened. Maybe it's one of those things that if you have had it, you have a hard time believing someone else hasn't and vice versa. I don't know. Maybe I'll drink 40 beers Friday and see what happens, just to be sure!
    Yeah, but you're a 'Sconnie, so you get a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      I don't know if anyone can say for sure he did it...but his answers reasonably push it in that direction. And considering this isn't a trial...i think that's enough.
      His behavior (especially the way he attacked senators...Klobuchar big time...) should be disqualifying.
      Again, DQ from his nomination is one thing. Him being a sex offender is another. I think he should be DQed, but I cannot say if he's a sex offender at this time.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Again, DQ from his nomination is one thing. Him being a sex offender is another. I think he should be DQed, but I cannot say if he's a sex offender at this time.
        Fine. My issue is the court...whether he is an offender isn't part of that for me...even though it seems he could be an offender and that won't matter for the court either.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Yeah, but you're a 'Sconnie, so you get a pass.
          I don't know if Wisko qualifies as a real Sconnie. His drinking history sounds like light beer.

Of course, he could be pulling a Kavanaugh on us.

Comment

No one is asking to lock him up or add him to a sex offender registry. We just don’t think he deserves to be on the Supreme Court for life.

Comment

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/...naugh-is-lying
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                So in your whole life it's happened once. Yet you don't really believe someone like me when I say it's happened to me one time less than that?

Do you know when it's happening or has happened to a friend when you yourself are very intoxicated? I believe that is what K's classmate says, that he drank heavily with K and got smashed. Sure, perhaps if you have to literally carry them home with their eyes rolled back in their head and tongue lolling out, I get you might accurately make that assessment of someone else. Nobody has said that kind of thing about K to my knowledge. I don't believe stumbling or even slurring some words means that person automatically won't remember what happened. No doubt I've been in that condition on many an occasion as a youngster, but I'm not lying when I say I've never had the experience of not remembering. I tended bar to get through college and have seen thousands of drunks. Some, astonishingly, remember everything quite clearly the next day, some just don't. I disagree with your premise that someone else can make that definitive assessment of someone else's experience so easily.
                You remember everything about every time you went out drinking?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Blacking out != passing out. There are telltale signs when someone crosses the threshold even when they're not aware of it themselves at the time. I can tell you several college friends who blacked out a lot.

Kavanaugh's classmates have stated he lied when he said he never blacked out. I believe them.
                  I looked up what the classmate's statement was to be sure. He talks about K getting in a fight which landed one of their friends in jail and as he says that he didn't purposely socialize with K after, I guess I'd take that as the thing that caused them to no longer be friendly. But here's the important part:

I can unequivocally say that in denying the possibility that he ever blacked out from drinking, and in downplaying the degree and frequency of his drinking, Brett has not told the truth
                  What would be helpful is if he states some specific instance in which K blacks out. "It took three of us to get K into his bed because he was so drunk." Simple, easy, everybody gets it.

But he doesn't, he leaves it in the odd phrasing of "denying the possibility that he ever blacked out". Is he saying definitively K has blacked out? He saw it. At Squiggy's Bar. Definitely happened! Or is he saying that it's "possible" K has blacked out because he drank heavily, and because it's possible, K shouldn't have denied it. Seems the latter to me, and seems like a lawyer advised on the wording so he didn't get sued. But I'm no expert on these things.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    No one is asking to lock him up or add him to a sex offender registry. We just don’t think he deserves to be on the Supreme Court for life.
                    Some are, sorta. They believe he is a sex offender.

The latter part of your post, I agree with.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      Flagg Admitted he’s scared to fly, so we would have had a delay
                      Must spread rep.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If he sexually assaulted women...he is one.
                        He won't end up on the registry though...of that I'm sure.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

If you think he should be voted down, then why are you concerned whether he committed the act, Brent?

Comment

Add witness tampering to the list.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...idence-n915566

Ummm, so why is Kavanaugh asking people about Debbie Ramirez before her story even became public? Perhaps he knew something that had happened between himself and her a long time ago?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              If you think he should be voted down, then why are you concerned whether he committed the act, Brent?
                              Because that's a big friggin' deal, if he did or did not commit the act. The vast majority of us are not qualified to be SCOTUS. But, the vast majority of us are not sex offenders, either.

There's some old saying, to the effect of: "I may be a liar, but I'm not a cheat." Well, he may be an unqualified ahole, but he's not a sex offender (potentially).

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Because that's a big friggin' deal, if he did or did not commit the act. The vast majority of us are not qualified to be SCOTUS. But, the vast majority of us are not sex offenders, either.

There's some old saying, to the effect of: "I may be a liar, but I'm not a cheat." Well, he may be an unqualified ahole, but he's not a sex offender (potentially).
                                But I still have to ask: why does it matter to you? He cannot be convicted by this process. It's just about whether he is appointed or not. Do you think he should be charged so those issues can be put before a jury? Or do you just feel the need to know enough to pass judgment one way or another to ease your own mind?

If I sound sarcastic, I'm not trying to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X