Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One City, Four Sports, Pro "Mt. Rushmore"

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Now you’re just being flippant and sour.
    With which selection?

Brett Favre is more noteworthy than Bud Grant. I don't really even think that's questionable.
    Mike Modano is more noteworthy than Herb Brooks. Modano is probably the greatest American born player in the history of the sport.
    I agreed with Kevin Garnett.
    I believe there is a debate between Puckett/Killebrew/Carew/Molitor/Carlton/Thome. I would probably still side with Puckett...given the influence he had on my life...but I think there is room for debate.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      Confusing logic. Not mikan because franchise left, but picked North Star player...
      If there were any noteworthy Wild players, I would have gone that route.

I also noted that I would have no issues with Mikan.
      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        I’d also throw Nagurski out there. I am very unsure of whether he would be a candidate for Chicago or Minnesota.

Looking back at the thread title, I suppose it was professional. More interesting would be to open it up to all levels.
        I can't justify putting Nagurski over Walter Payton, so that should rule out Chicago. I'll defer to others on Minnesota.

Originally posted by burd View Post
        Yaz was my boyhood hero, but no way he is ahead of Williams.
        Bingo. I started watching baseball right at the tail end of Yaz's career.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          ... and Jim Thome in the mix.

did he even play for the twinkies?!?

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

With which selection?

Brett Favre is more noteworthy than Bud Grant. I don't really even think that's questionable.
            Mike Modano is more noteworthy than Herb Brooks. Modano is probably the greatest American born player in the history of the sport.
            I disagree on Favre 100%. Favre lasted one season in MN and even my kids know about Bud Grant - one of which could care less about the NFL while the other is a huge fan and has a decent historical perspective for someone all of 14.

Modano > Herb if we're talking pro hockey but Broten would give him a serious run because he had a legit NHL career that started in MN, and you also can't under-estimate the, "He's one of us" factor.

Comment

Modano only spent 4 seasons in MN. So a lot of his greatness was in Dallas.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I disagree on Favre 100%. Favre lasted one season in MN and even my kids know about Bud Grant - one of which could care less about the NFL while the other is a huge fan and has a decent historical perspective for someone all of 14.

Modano > Herb if we're talking pro hockey but Broten would give him a serious run because he had a legit NHL career that started in MN, and you also can't under-estimate the, "He's one of us" factor.
                Again, the quote you used was premised that the player only had to have a minor connection with the pro team. FWIW, my guess is your kids know who Brett Favre is too...and I would imagine if we conducted a poll it wouldnt even be close if we are basing it on name recognition.

That being said, and as discussed in my prior post, my Mt. Rushmore was Grant, Kirby, Broten, and Garnett.
                North Dakota

Comment

Favre would garner more recognition on a smaller segment of fans. Yes my kids recognize the name but know about Bud well more than that.

Comment

Favre would garner more recognition on a smaller segment of fans. Yes my kids recognize the name but know about Bud well more than that.
                    Brett Favre is way more recognizable than Bud Grant to about 99% of the population.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Brett Favre is way more recognizable than Bud Grant to about 99% of the population.
                      Not to Vikings fans and no not 99% of everyone else. We'll agree to disagree.

Comment

Not to Vikings fans and no not 99% of everyone else. We'll agree to disagree.
                        We definitely will. I find your position absurd, even as a fellow Vikings fan.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                        X