• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One City, Four Sports, Pro "Mt. Rushmore"

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    No Nolan Ryan?

Mookie thinks of Texas Rangers, Ryan only picture he sees
    Good candidate. Didn't Ryan beat the crap out of Robin Ventura when he was on the Rangers?
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      Good candidate. Didn't Ryan beat the crap out of Robin Ventura when he was on the Rangers?
      Think so.
      Certainly before inter league play
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I’d put Nolan Ryan in Houston. I think about Pudge before Ryan when I think of the Rangers.

And yes, Ventura repeatedly irritated Ryan’s fists with his head when Ryan was a Ranger.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Dionne over Gretzky.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Dionne over Gretzky.
            qft
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              qft
              You're older than I am.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                To me, the Red Sox are very clear cut. The conversation starts and ends with Ted Williams. I'm sorry, but Yastrzemski does not match up with Williams, and no one else can hold a candle to Yaz, let alone Williams.

With the Celtics, you have Russell and Bird, and everyone else is in line behind those two.
                Cousy. Havlicek

Philly, BBall. Dr J was great but Wilt
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  To me, the Red Sox are very clear cut. The conversation starts and ends with Ted Williams. I'm sorry, but Yastrzemski does not match up with Williams, and no one else can hold a candle to Yaz, let alone Williams.

With the Celtics, you have Russell and Bird, and everyone else is in line behind those two.
                  Yaz was my boyhood hero, but no way he is ahead of Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Kirby (anything else is absurd)
                    Herb
                    Garnett (ditto here)
                    Bud Grant (The KFAN bobos will probably go with Tarkenton; in realitywe deserve just a pair of uprights)
                    The Kirby vs. Killebrew vs. Carew debate is quite interesting. Killer hit a ton of home runs; Carew might be the best second basemen in the history of the game, but only played slightly over half of his career with the Twins; and Kirby is my childhood hero, and led the franchise to its only World Series titles since moving to Minnesota. I would probably go with Puckett, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three.

As for Herb...I'm not sure where you are going with this one. His brief stint with the North Stars was god awful. I would go with Neil Broten or Dino...with Broten likely getting the edge.

I agree with Kevin Garnett. I would have no issues with George Mikan either...he did bring the city 5 championships...but that franchise left.

I like the Bud Grant pick. He is the most identifiable person with the Vikings' best run of success. If we had to go with a player, I would probably go with Alan Page. The dude is one of only 2 defensive players to ever win the MVP (the other being LT in '86).

So my Mt. Rushmore would be:
                    Kirby Puckett
                    Neil Broten
                    Kevin Garnett
                    Bud Grant
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      The Kirby vs. Killebrew vs. Carew debate is quite interesting. Killer hit a ton of home runs; Carew might be the best second basemen in the history of the game, but only played slightly over half of his career with the Twins; and Kirby is my childhood hero, and led the franchise to its only World Series titles since moving to Minnesota. I would probably go with Puckett, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three.

As for Herb...I'm not sure where you are going with this one. His brief stint with the North Stars was god awful. I would go with Neil Broten or Dino...with Broten likely getting the edge.

I agree with Kevin Garnett. I would have no issues with George Mikan either...he did bring the city 5 championships...but that franchise left.

I like the Bud Grant pick. He is the most identifiable person with the Vikings' best run of success. If we had to go with a player, I would probably go with Alan Page. The dude is one of only 2 defensive players to ever win the MVP (the other being LT in '86).

Kirby Puckett
                      Neil Broten
                      Kevin Garnett
                      Bud Grant
                      Works for me. If we're not gonna go with Ron Vander Kelen.

Comment

Kirby Puckett
                        Neil Broten
                        Kevin Garnett
                        Bud Grant
                        The original criteria was pick someone noteworthy. Herb is the most noteworthy in my opinion. Certainly Mayasich. If the criteria was best professional player, I would probably take Herb off. But I’ll stick with it.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I’d also throw Nagurski out there. I am very unsure of whether he would be a candidate for Chicago or Minnesota.

Looking back at the thread title, I suppose it was professional. More interesting would be to open it up to all levels.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            The original criteria was pick someone noteworthy. Herb is the most noteworthy in my opinion. Certainly Mayasich. If the criteria was best professional player, I would probably take Herb off. But I’ll stick with it.
                            Well, if the person only had to have minor connections with the professional teams...then there are far more noteworthy Vikings than Bud Grant...Brett Favre being the most obvious.

Mike Modano is far more noteworthy than any other North Star...even Herb Brooks.

Kevin Garnett probably still takes it for the T-Wolves.

And I think the debate is still between Kirby/Killebrew/Carew for the Twinkies...although you would probably have to throw Paul Molitor, Steve Carlton, and Jim Thome in the mix.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Now you’re just being flippant and sour.
                              Code:

Comment

Kirby Puckett
                                Neil Broten
                                Kevin Garnett
                                Bud Grant
                                Confusing logic. Not mikan because franchise left, but picked North Star player...
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X