No announcement yet.

USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As someone who has spent the last 1.9 years converting all of his recipes from wheat flour to gluten-free for his wife, we’ve gotten a lot better.

That said, it’s almost impossible to make good yeasty bread GF AND have it come out even similar to wheat flour bread in terms of structure, texture, or even size.

One of the biggest problems is that GF flours don’t hold moisture or release it the same way wheat does. They just don’t cook anywhere near the same, which is why most GF breads are much, much smaller than their traditional counterparts. Google Ohmic bread. We’re getting closer.

We've mostly learned to just do recipes that are well-suited to GF cooking. Things where gluten formation is bad. Cake, brownies, muffins, scones*, pancakes, cornbread, etc. For savory type foods, we’ve mostly avoided it except for things like gnocchi, and a few others. My goal is to find a way to do a good puff pastry recipe or brand and do a Wellington at some point.

We did do pizza successfully once and it stood up really well to the wheat flour original recipe I made that night. It’s a different texture altogether and you will never (not without extreme experimentation with custom blends, which we’ve been working on; so let us know if you find something that works) get that same crust. The beauty of Detroit/St Louis/Minnesota/Midwest-style pizza is it tends to be less gluten-heavy to start with and requires by definition less rise. Find a good recipe from that style (many have cornmeal or milk in them) and start there.

I can recommend two books from a friend who gave up wheat. Marie Porter. You’d like her. Beyond Flour and Beyond Flour II. Great recipes, though be forewarned, almost all recipes have custom flour blends and it’s a PITA to keep all in stock at home.

That said, we have found some good in-store products. We've absolutely loved Domata 1:1 (blue and white bag, Hy-Vee). It works for all non-gluten-necessary recipes (better in some cases) than wheat flour. Most 1:1s will be good. DOmata is the best we’ve found. King Arthur has INCREDIBLE GF mixes that are in many cases better than the original wheat blends. Their brownies mix is killer if you sub in some Kahlua for the liquids. Their pancakes are a staple of our relationship. One of the first times I ever cooked for Mrs. dx was KAF pancakes because I panicked and didn’t have anything I could make. We have spiked them with apple cider whiskey for a treat.

*first time today. They turned out ok. I knew the recipe had issues from the start because of the flour:butter ratio and the choice of brown sugar instead of white. We wanted to use bananas and this was the first half decent recipe I could find in five minutes. Easy to build on though.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Oh god, I completely forgot about Pizza Luce. Their GF crust is almost as good as wheat. So good and don’t even miss normal crust when we scratch our pizza itch.

They buy it locally but can’t remember where
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Made some killer tacos recently. Smoked pork belly, quick pickled red cabbage, julienned carrots and apple, a Bleu cheese aioli, topped with finely chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Just all around great flavor. Bold and savory but balanced nice by the pickled cabbage and sweetness of apple. Quite a pungent breath afterwards though.

Also made a lemon basil cake with lemon glaze recently that turned out fabulous. Vibrant and refreshing. Had a slice at breakfast this morning because I'm an adult and can do what I want (plus how is it any different than having coffee cake or a muffin). Great with coffee.

If I can figure out photos I'll post some.

Comment

• I made a GF coffee and chocolate bread that turned out well. Used 2.25 cups of GF flour, then used 2 cans of Chameleon cold brew, and a bag of espresso chips (you measure these with your heart). Basically, I'm not using the GF flour for a French toast bread, but for small pizzas and treats.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• So far this weekend:

1. Smoked wings two ways: jerk and herbs de Provence. Both excellent.
            2. Maple sage smoked turkey breast for homemade deli meat. God this was good and it was such a throw at the wall and see what happens guessipe. (Yes I just made that word up.)
            3. Smoked pork butts - this time I collected the drippings and have distilled flavor in both fat and gelatinized form.
            4. Smoked corn on the cob. Screw the grill, this is easier and tastier.
            5. Chipotle mashed potatoes with some of the drippings added. Amazing what adobo and smoked pork fat will do to potatoes.
            6. Strawberry chocolate chunk ice cream

If Minnesota ever changes the laws, I think my wife would be ok with opening our marriage to the smoker.
            Code:

Comment

• Holy cow. We finally got around to pulling the pork after a long rest. It was great on its own, but then we pulled out the pork drippings. I decided to take a small taste of the Pork Jello and it was incredible. Not too smoky, a good amount of dark, caramelized sweetness, and some of the spices in the background. It tasted like a dark port. Why have I never collected the drippings before!?!
              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 09-06-2020, 11:22 PM.
              Code:

Comment

• I don’t like to grill, so I don’t make steak very often. Plus I’m trying to cut way back on meat.

anyway, got a real good deal on a nice streak so decided to get it. I forgot how much I love sous vide cooking. Just seal it up after seasoning and let it go, perfectly medium rare steak comes out and a quick sear at the end finishes it off.

i need to try more things sous vide

Comment

• Oh man. I love grilling. But Sous vide is great too. We’ve used it a couple of times with great success. Pork is where it really shines. You can nail temps on pork tenderloins which is sometimes difficult on the grill. Super healthy cut of meat, so finicky.

Ive been thinking of ways to get creative with it. Questioning what I could use it for. But the same goes with every cooking tool I have. Smoker, grill, Sous Vide, and after watching an episode of Alton Brown’s quarantine show, the waffle iron. He used the latter to cook frozen pizzas with mixed success. ;-)
                  Code:

Comment

• Epic stock-the-freezer weekend. Cooked and portioned:
                    Eight quarts chili (with an ‘i’)
                    2 lbs taco meat
                    2 lbs homemade sloppy joes (this is the first I’ve made this in years. Since I’ve learned to enjoy veggies, I can finally load this up on the good stuff to offset the not-so-great part ;-) )
                    2 pans lasagna
                    a dozen muffins (breakfasts this week)
                    1/2 batch of my famous cookies (froze the other half)
                    Prepped half a dozen bell peppers for fajitas, two bunches of green onions, celery, and a couple other veggies. Sadly, our green peppers that didn’t have time to ripen before the frost were just too bitter to use.

First time we’ve cooked ground beef in months, maybe May. Stocked the freezer full of chicken breasts and thighs as well. Have a couple pork butts and loins too that will help fill in the gaps.

Trying to make it easy on ourselves over the next several months to try to minimize needing to go out shopping as covid washes over the populace. Figure we will still try to do regular meals on Sundays and have leftover for half the week. Intersperse with the stuff above and we should be set.

One other thing we’ve been doing lately (but not this weekend). We like turkey sandwiches for quick and easy weekday lunches. Weren’t huge fans of the deli meat with all the additives and whatnot. So we’ve been making our own. Overnight brine (swapping back and forth between maple-sage and tomato-basil) and then a quick smoke. Bring it to like 150 for five minutes and pull. Wrap, refrigerate, slice. We don’t get those perfect deli slices, but it’s nice having homemade, low-salt, zero nitrate/nitrite, zero preservative lunch meats.

Oh, and we have a dutch oven full of coq au vin is cooking right now.
                    We'll be finishing our from-scratch macarons after dinner.

now I know how our resident cookie fiends feel. Whew!
                    Code:

Comment

• I baked a frozen pizza, threw away the crust.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Epic stock-the-freezer weekend. Cooked and portioned:
                        Eight quarts chili (with an ‘i’)
                        2 lbs taco meat
                        2 lbs homemade sloppy joes (this is the first I’ve made this in years. Since I’ve learned to enjoy veggies, I can finally load this up on the good stuff to offset the not-so-great part ;-) )
                        2 pans lasagna
                        a dozen muffins (breakfasts this week)
                        1/2 batch of my famous cookies (froze the other half)
                        Prepped half a dozen bell peppers for fajitas, two bunches of green onions, celery, and a couple other veggies. Sadly, our green peppers that didn’t have time to ripen before the frost were just too bitter to use.

First time we’ve cooked ground beef in months, maybe May. Stocked the freezer full of chicken breasts and thighs as well. Have a couple pork butts and loins too that will help fill in the gaps.

Trying to make it easy on ourselves over the next several months to try to minimize needing to go out shopping as covid washes over the populace. Figure we will still try to do regular meals on Sundays and have leftover for half the week. Intersperse with the stuff above and we should be set.

One other thing we’ve been doing lately (but not this weekend). We like turkey sandwiches for quick and easy weekday lunches. Weren’t huge fans of the deli meat with all the additives and whatnot. So we’ve been making our own. Overnight brine (swapping back and forth between maple-sage and tomato-basil) and then a quick smoke. Bring it to like 150 for five minutes and pull. Wrap, refrigerate, slice. We don’t get those perfect deli slices, but it’s nice having homemade, low-salt, zero nitrate/nitrite, zero preservative lunch meats.

Oh, and we have a dutch oven full of coq au vin is cooking right now.
                        We'll be finishing our from-scratch macarons after dinner.

now I know how our resident cookie fiends feel. Whew!
                        Yum

Comment

• The macarons had horrible technique but we’re super tasty.
                          Code:

Comment

• My SIL just bought some molds for Springerle but is struggling with finding a right recipe. Does anyone have one?

Comment

• I took the easy way out and made Ice Cream Bread for snacks or toast for the morning.Dreyess S'mores and Rolo + more mini chocolate chips. In case you didn't know the "pint" containers are no longer a pint---14 ounces.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

• Made Alton brown’s reloaded pot roast tonight. We used the chuck roast from our share of the quarter cow (grass fed, non-cert organic).

holy moly. I wish we had pot roast like this growing up. That was good. Watch out on the salt in the recipe. I think it’s a hair too much.

Also, we didn’t have potatoes so we chunked a couple sweet potatoes. That was a great call. They sat lighter in our stomachs and were more flavorful than regular.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X