Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The programmers that fixed computers for Y2K went too far. Or maybe my company just needs to change their part numbering scheme.
    Excel changes my part number 11-9082 to Nov-82 (or 11/1/9082). Does anyone really think humans will be around in 9082, or that I am concerned with something 7,050 years from now, or that if the first 1 is true, anyone will still be using Excel in seven thousand years?
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.



    Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

    Comment


    • Welp, I had “that parent” moment as I got kicked out of my daughter’s volleyball game.

      Trouble began when another girl on my daughter’s team dove for the ball and tried to kick it instead of diving with her arms (TBF, it is legal to use your foot). Then next point the same girl did it again. The girls mom actually said to her “ok, knock it off” and even motioned to the coach to take her out. Right before the next serve the opposing coach looked right at our girl and loudly said “it was funny once” a couple of times. After the second time he said it I finally stood up (mostly because at that point most of our teams parents were PO’d and I stood up knowing as the white guy I can take the heat easier than others) and I loudly told the coach “don’t talk to our players, you coach your team!” The coach then yelled at me “you talking to me?” I said “yeah I am, don’t talk to our players, you coach your team!” At that point the referee blew her whistle and I sat back down. The coach said something to me again and I stood back up and told him “don’t talk to our players, you coach your team” again. At that point the referee blew her whistle again and “ok, both of you out!” I stood for a second, looked at referee and nodded and walked out to the parking lot. I guess the coach spent 10-15 minutes arguing with the referee and league administrator before he came out to the parking lot and tried to confront me again. Thankfully another Dad from my daughters team was with me and got in front of the coach while I walked away. The coach then proceeded to threaten the other Dad, including threatening some physical violence.

      Eventually another administrator showed up and got the coach off property. I was walking the track at the school with my wife when the administrator finally came over and politely said I needed to go too (which I agreed with) though at this point the game was over. Thankfully my Mom was with us so she eventually drove my wife and daughter home so I could leave right away.

      I don’t feel like I did the wrong thing, though I absolutely deserved to be ejected, but I’m definitely not proud of what happened.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

      Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

      Comment


      • I don't think you were That Parent based on what you wrote. I don't think I'd spend too much time dwelling on it. That was a tepid 1.5 out of 10 on the scale.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

        Comment


        • I had one of those but I was completely in the wrong and I don't think you were. It was not a good day. You'll get past it.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

          Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

          Comment


          • I had one of those during a school play. I was wrong to get involved even though the theater teacher was an idiot.

            The rule is once you get involved you make it 100x worse for everyone, especially your kid. TBH that's the real punishment -- your embarrassment.

            Yeah, it was a bad decision, but you'll remember it long, long after everyone else has forgotten it, so give yourself a break.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • I'll be honest , if I were the ref I don't think I'd have even tossed you.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

              Comment


              • While the opposing coach started things and was definitely the sparkplug, yeah, I imagine they want their to be a "wall" between parents (and others in the stands) and players/coaches on the teams, since once interactions there start they have a way of getting much worse. So I don't think you did a bad thing, per se, but definitely something they were going to stand for. But it is good you accepted what they decided and didn't decide to raise things further, since doing otherwise is how you end up on the internet.

                Cornell '04, Stanford '06


                KDR

                Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

                Test to see if I can add this.

                Comment


                • I give this a 1/3 Cheeseburger rating...

                  As an official, fighting parents are just annoying AF. So that is likely why you were asked to leave.

                  That being said, I think it was ok for you to defend your kid's team and that the opposing coach was wrong to make comments like that to a player. I'm assuming by the child's parent's comment, this is likely a rec league and not super competitive. So yea, let the kids have some leeway with behavior (within reason of course).
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

                  Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

                  Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

                  Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I had one of those during a school play. I was wrong to get involved even though the theater teacher was an idiot.

                    The rule is once you get involved you make it 100x worse for everyone, especially your kid. TBH that's the real punishment -- your embarrassment.

                    Yeah, it was a bad decision, but you'll remember it long, long after everyone else has forgotten it, so give yourself a break.
                    How did this happen at a play? Elementary or middle school? Because high school is essentially community theater where the show should be rehearsed enough to go on without any interruptions.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                    1966, 1986, 2007

                    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

                      How did this happen at a play? Elementary or middle school? Because high school is essentially community theater where the show should be rehearsed enough to go on without any interruptions.
                      High school play. One of the actors forgot his lines. The theater teacher let him dangle, no prompt, just let him die there on stage, and the other actors weren't experienced enough to paper around it and save him. The teacher stopped the play, walked on stage, spoke to the crowd and apologized "for" the student. I told him it wasn't the kid's fault, and given how the teacher was handling it I had a pretty good idea whose fault it was. The teacher got super heated, super quick, and when I saw that and I de-escalated, but I felt like crap and then I learned later my daughter had heard my statement from off stage and she was desperately embarrassed, so then I felt about an inch tall. Remembering it right now I feel like an absolute heel. I didn't make anything better, I was just angry at that idiot and was stupid. I was being selfish and not thinking about the greater good.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        I give this a 1/3 Cheeseburger rating...

                        As an official, fighting parents are just annoying AF. So that is likely why you were asked to leave.

                        That being said, I think it was ok for you to defend your kid's team and that the opposing coach was wrong to make comments like that to a player. I'm assuming by the child's parent's comment, this is likely a rec league and not super competitive. So yea, let the kids have some leeway with behavior (within reason of course).
                        As a ref myself I knew why I was getting kicked out and I was fine with it. I actually felt bad for her, she’s a good ref and is pretty good with the kids.

                        We had issues with this coach in previous games, which part of the reason I stood in the first place. I wish our coach had stood up instead but I think he has issues confronting things like that.

                        My daughter didn’t seem very embarrassed, she was more excited about how good her tips and blocks were. My mom was actually very proud of me.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

                        Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                          High school play. One of the actors forgot his lines. The theater teacher let him dangle, no prompt, just let him die there on stage, and the other actors weren't experienced enough to paper around it and save him. The teacher stopped the play, walked on stage, spoke to the crowd and apologized "for" the student. I told him it wasn't the kid's fault, and given how the teacher was handling it I had a pretty good idea whose fault it was. The teacher got super heated, super quick, and when I saw that and I de-escalated, but I felt like crap and then I learned later my daughter had heard my statement from off stage and she was desperately embarrassed, so then I felt about an inch tall. Remembering it right now I feel like an absolute heel. I didn't make anything better, I was just angry at that idiot and was stupid. I was being selfish and not thinking about the greater good.
                          Lol, I think this is the most Kepler story I’ve heard. The only thing missing is you muttering under your breath “I can’t believe I missed The Bachelor for this!”
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

                          Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Lol, I think this is the most Kepler story I’ve heard. The only thing missing is you muttering under your breath “I can’t believe I missed The Bachelor for this!”
                            I should have asked to see his diploma. That would have been on brand.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Lol, I think this is the most Kepler story I’ve heard. The only thing missing is you muttering under your breath “I can’t believe I missed The Bachelor for this!”
                              Nah, he would have quoted something from Tosca.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                We had issues with this coach in previous games, which part of the reason I stood in the first place. I wish our coach had stood up instead but I think he has issues confronting things like that.
                                Yeah, with admittedly complete 20/20 hindsight the best avenue would have been to privately tell your team's coach to tell the other coach to knock it off, though it sounds like maybe even with prompting your team's coach may not have.

                                Cornell '04, Stanford '06


                                KDR

                                Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

                                Test to see if I can add this.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X