Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The association between population density and ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The association between population density and ...

... happiness.

"Life is significantly less happy in urban areas," according to researchers at the Vancouver School of Economics and McGill University.

They found that average population density in the 20 percent most miserable communities was more than eight times greater than in the happiest 20 percent of communities.

It may seem contradictory that greater happiness is correlated with both lower population density (implying fewer interpersonal interactions) and a greater sense of "belonging" in one's community (implying stronger social connections). But a significant body of research shows that having a strong social network is key to well-being. Some studies indicate that small towns and rural areas are more conducive than cities to forming strong social bonds, which would explain some of the greater sense of belonging observed in the happiest Canadian communities.

Perhaps even more surprising are the factors that don't appear to play a major role in community-level differences in happiness: average income levels and rates of unemployment and education. People may move to cities for good-paying jobs, but the Canadian study strongly suggests it's not making them any happier.

These findings comport with similar studies done in the United States, which have revealed a "rural-urban happiness gradient:" The farther away from cities people live, the happier they tend to be.

And with that, here's wishing all you coasties a happy day from here in the wide open hinterlands of North Dakota.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Re: The association between population density and ...

One study of the US.
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=rurb20

I guess I didn't realize there was this much scholarly work on subject.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=urba...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Interesting.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I don’t think it’s that crazy. The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

I don’t have a dog.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

more to it than that. mookie likes being around people. more to do.

have to believe it all comes down to money. (like everything)
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
        X