X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
    It's mooncake season..
    It's also a public holiday here in Hong Kong -- the Mid Autumn Festival, that is; kind of like the Chinese Thanksgiving. No work, no school. People headed out last night, a lot of them carrying cool lanterns, to go look at the moon, eat those famous mooncakes, etc.

Since this thread is for advice as well as questions, if you're planning a trip to Hong Kong then fall is definitely the time to go. Starting just about now and running through Christmas is when you get the beautiful weather: sunny, low humidity, light breezes. I haven't been to Hawaii, but people say it's like that. In the summer through mid-September you still get typhoons, and very hot and humid weather; and in January you start with the cold, gray, rainy season weather. But in-between is really nice.
    Bugs Bunny - 96
    Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

My brother is doing a semester abroad in England currently, Liverpool to be exact, and I've convinced my mother that we must go visit him at some point. We're thinking of leaving on a Friday night returning the following Sunday (10 days). I'm in charge of putting this trip together so I'm thinking of spending 1/2 to 2/3 or the time in Liverpool/London and the remainder somewhere else in Europe, but wasn't sure what the best use of my time might be. So naturally, the first idea that popped into my head was to post to the travel thread on a college hockey messageboard ( ). I've been to England previously ('92) and was just in Paris last September. I've been looking at taking a train somewhere (Italy, Denmark). If I have 2-4 days, where might some good places to go be? Roughly, this would be the beginning of December.
      Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
      Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
      sigpic
      Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
      1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
        My brother is doing a semester abroad in England currently, Liverpool to be exact, and I've convinced my mother that we must go visit him at some point. We're thinking of leaving on a Friday night returning the following Sunday (10 days). I'm in charge of putting this trip together so I'm thinking of spending 1/2 to 2/3 or the time in Liverpool/London and the remainder somewhere else in Europe, but wasn't sure what the best use of my time might be. So naturally, the first idea that popped into my head was to post to the travel thread on a college hockey messageboard ( ). I've been to England previously ('92) and was just in Paris last September. I've been looking at taking a train somewhere (Italy, Denmark). If I have 2-4 days, where might some good places to go be? Roughly, this would be the beginning of December.
        Norway, duh!

Um Ya Ya!
        I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
          Jealous. I had a blast in Liverpool 2 years ago, it's turned (turning? construction was going on while we were there) into a real nice city.

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
            Norway, duh!

Um Ya Ya!
            Indeed. My wife would be jealous though as she's the one with the Scandinavian ancestry, and she's not coming along.
            Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
            Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
            sigpic
            Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
            1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

I posted this elsewhere also, but it really does belong in this thread. I'm trying to plan a trip to Vegas with some buddies over new years. We've never been there before, so we're wondering which hotels are recommended from anyone with prior experiences.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I've been looking at hotels and online reviews for a while now. But I know people around here have been to Vegas before, so I want to get some opinions. I'm leaning towards getting a room at the MGM Grand, overall it looks like it gets great reviews and it is right in the middle of the strip. But I also found rooms for cheaper at The Signature @ MGM Grand, which appears to be off Las Vegas BLVD a couple blocks. The rooms look nicer at The Signature. Would it be best to stay at a hotel right on the strip or would it be ok to stay at one a block or 2 away. If it is part of the MGM, is that entire complex connected so we would just walk through the MGM complex to get the couple blocks it would take to get to Las Vegas BLVD? Thanks the for help everyone.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I posted this elsewhere also, but it really does belong in this thread. I'm trying to plan a trip to Vegas with some buddies over new years. We've never been there before, so we're wondering which hotels are recommended from anyone with prior experiences.
                haven't stayed at the MGM myself, but know lots of people who have and all have liked it. on New Years Eve I would definitely stay on the Strip.
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I stayed at the Flamingo...The room was nothing special, but I was rarely in it.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                    I stayed at the Flamingo...The room was nothing special, but I was rarely in it.
                    That is why I'm not interested in spending a bunch on a nice room. If I'm in Vegas, I don't want to sit in the hotel room, with the exception of certain recreational activities. I'm thinking I should go with the cheapest room I can find that is in the middle of the strip, which won't be anywhere close to cheap, but still, I'm not going to spring for the Bellagio.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Planning out a London-Paris-Zurich trip for late February. Curious if people who have been to Zurich have recommendations for things to do. We may go over the the Bodensee (Lake Constance) while we are in Switzerland so ideas for there would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by pardonme View Post
                        Planning out a London-Paris-Zurich trip for late February. Curious if people who have been to Zurich have recommendations for things to do. We may go over the the Bodensee (Lake Constance) while we are in Switzerland so ideas for there would be nice too.
                        Go see the Zurich Lions play hockey at the Hallenstadion. The rink holds about 10,000 and the fans there are pretty into it.

http://www.zsclions.ch/

Comment

That is why I'm not interested in spending a bunch on a nice room. If I'm in Vegas, I don't want to sit in the hotel room, with the exception of certain recreational activities. I'm thinking I should go with the cheapest room I can find that is in the middle of the strip, which won't be anywhere close to cheap, but still, I'm not going to spring for the Bellagio.
                          The Flamingo would probably work out well for you. It's right in the middle, the room was fine, but nothing special. You can get it pretty cheap when you purchase in a package.

Comment

The Flamingo would probably work out well for you. It's right in the middle, the room was fine, but nothing special. You can get it pretty cheap when you purchase in a package.
                            I was looking at that one too. I ended up finding a package that was $650/person for 4 days, 3 nights, airfare and hotel over New Years. We'll be staying at Excalibur...not my top choice for hotel, but really, we won't be spending much time there so no biggie. And it is pretty much across the street from the MGM, so location isn't much different than I was originally looking at. Now we just need to figure out what to do for nightlife kind of stuff. Everywhere has New Years Eve parties it looks like, and we may have to buy tickets and other BS, so I'm going to have to figure that out over the next couple weeks.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Excalibur is also a good value if you want no frills. Just don't tell the girls you meet at the club that you're staying there.
                              Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                                Excalibur is also a good value if you want no frills. Just don't tell the girls you meet at the club that you're staying there.
                                Will do.
                                That makes it tougher when they want to go back to the room, though...

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X