X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    No Grand Canyon?

Sure, it's a bit passe and the main view points are crowded with tour buses, but it really is incredible. I've been 3 times (only hiked all the way to the bottom once), and would go again in a heartbeat. If you haven't been, I think it would be a shame to pass up the chance. Bryce and Zion are beautiful, and possibly a bit more "fathomable" - you really feel like you can get up close with the formations and really enjoy them, but the, well, grandeur of the Grand Canyon is in another league.

I've never planned the kind of trip that you're talking about, unfortunately, so I can't help with camping or equipment recommendations. Definitely check out a Golden Eagle pass - $80 gets you and up to 3 other adults in the same car access to essentially all of the national parks. It pays for itself in 2-4 park entries, depending how many people you have in the car.
    I am going to do a more southern trip which will include the Grand Canyon (and Sedona, and a few more places). If we do go on this trip, it'll be to the north rim, but we're primarily staying north of the GC in th relatively short amount of time.. My goal is by next year to be able to hike down to Havasu Falls which is west of the Grand Canyon, but would be included in with the same trip... Not something I could do this year..

I'm ordering the National Parks Pass soon as a few friends and I are camping at Acadia (I've never been and its so close, inexcuseable!) at the end of August for a few days, so I'll get good use out of it right there, and it'll more than pay for itself in Sept/Oct

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
      So, our trip to the southwest is set, as far as flying/rental car.

We're flying into Vegas Friday Sept 24 and home Monday Oct 4, so basically we'll have 9 days to drive around Southern Utah and Northern Arizona... I'm still having a hard time trimming down the itinerary so we can appreciate the places we stop. Assuming we don't get selected in the lottery on Thursday to hike into "The Wave", We're going to do a loop (not sure which direction yet) that includes Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Lake Powell/Antelope Canyon and a few quicker stops along the way (Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Capitol Reef National park, scenic drive up Rt 12, etc..

Has anyone done this type of trip while camping for the majority of the time, and if so, where? Also, does anyone have experience renting camping/hiking equipment? Instead of lugging so much stuff (most of which we'd have to buy anyway) out there, we're looking into renting at least a tent/bags/pads/backpacks/poles... but have never done this before....

Any suggestions?
      I've camped this many many times. don't know anything about renting. I think ? REI does some of that. Is there one in Vegas? We almost always stay at the National Park campgrounds. Dead Horse State Park (Utah) near Moab is exceptional. Probably need reservations. the whole Moab area is very cool. there is an awesome bookstore with books, maps, guides, etc about the area. The slot at Antelope Canyon costs $26. for a half hour guided tour. We went instead to the one near the wave. They share the same beginning of the trail. Its fairly short but you get the "slot" experience. some scrambling but you won't need ropes. at the end, where it joins Buckskin Gulch there are beautiful petroglyphs. (not the ones idiots have carved into the giant graffiti wall). if you have to jettison something I might skip Bryce. its beautiful, but a bit of a one trick pony. perhaps Capital Reef also. its very pretty (nice campground) but way out there and its a lot of driving between trails. Horseshoe Bend near Page is well worth the short hike. Navaho Bridge - Lee's Ferry is cool if you drive that way - you might see the California Condors! Natural Bridges has cool hiking and a very nice (small) campground. Enjoy! its a great area!
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I could so go on and on about this area. the Glen Canyon dam is amazing and worth a quick stop. are you interested in the Anasazi ruins? or restaurants? let me know.
        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Another really cool spot to visit, but it's a little further SE, is Canyon de Chelly. It's beautiful and really interesting, as a good number of Navajo still live in the canyon and farm, etc. There's one public hike down the the White House ruins, and you can hire a native guide for other trips into the canyon. Just a thought.
          Originally posted by Priceless
          Good to see you're so reasonable.
          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
          Very well, said.
          Originally posted by Rover
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
            Another really cool spot to visit, but it's a little further SE, is Canyon de Chelly. It's beautiful and really interesting, as a good number of Navajo still live in the canyon and farm, etc. There's one public hike down the the White House ruins, and you can hire a native guide for other trips into the canyon. Just a thought.
            CdC is definitely on my list of future places to visit, along with Mesa Verde and Chaco Canyon. I honestly could spend months exploring out there

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            are you interested in the Anasazi ruins? or restaurants? let me know.
            Definitely to some extent

I've camped this many many times. don't know anything about renting. I think ? REI does some of that. Is there one in Vegas? We almost always stay at the National Park campgrounds. Dead Horse State Park (Utah) near Moab is exceptional. Probably need reservations. the whole Moab area is very cool. there is an awesome bookstore with books, maps, guides, etc about the area. The slot at Antelope Canyon costs $26. for a half hour guided tour. We went instead to the one near the wave. They share the same beginning of the trail. Its fairly short but you get the "slot" experience. some scrambling but you won't need ropes. at the end, where it joins Buckskin Gulch there are beautiful petroglyphs. (not the ones idiots have carved into the giant graffiti wall). if you have to jettison something I might skip Bryce. its beautiful, but a bit of a one trick pony. perhaps Capital Reef also. its very pretty (nice campground) but way out there and its a lot of driving between trails. Horseshoe Bend near Page is well worth the short hike. Navaho Bridge - Lee's Ferry is cool if you drive that way - you might see the California Condors! Natural Bridges has cool hiking and a very nice (small) campground. Enjoy! its a great area!
            I'm going to have to pick your brain as we go along planning this

There is a brand new REI in Vegas, I believe I stumbled upon it while researching..
            We're likely going to do an Antelope Canyon photography tour (usually a little longer). Might take a boat tour of Lake Powell out to Rainbow Bridge...Dead Horse is definitely on our list of stops. Horseshoe Bend is, as well, likely at Sunrise. thats my biggest challenge, planning out stops for sunrise (and the hour or so after) and sunset (and the hour or so before) to get the best light for photos. And while Photography is a big reason for this trip, I don't want it to be the ONLY reason, I really want to soak it in and enjoy it as well!

I've located what seem like pretty good campgrounds in or near the national parks. Still gotta wait until Thursday to find out if we were fortunate enough to get into the Wave to start planning..

I'm interested in visiting mesa arch in Canyonlands (sunrise is a must), and also, trying to find False Kiva in the same area..

Comment

Antelope is the place for photos for sure. Another interesting overlook (like Horseshoe) is Goosenecks overlooking the San Juan. just a short drive off the main road near Mexican Hat. worth a quick stop. Blanding has a great Anasazi museum - Edge of the Cedars - with a ruin to tour. the museum has a scarlet Macaw feather cape, lots and lots of pottery and other cool stuff. Bluff is another cool little town with a nice campground on the river.
              Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Antelope is the place for photos for sure. Another interesting overlook (like Horseshoe) is Goosenecks overlooking the San Juan. just a short drive off the main road near Mexican Hat. worth a quick stop. Blanding has a great Anasazi museum - Edge of the Cedars - with a ruin to tour. the museum has a scarlet Macaw feather cape, lots and lots of pottery and other cool stuff. Bluff is another cool little town with a nice campground on the river.
                Goosenecks is on our list coming down from Moab towards Monument Valley. I think Winger, who'll be joining me on this adventure, is interested in some ruins so I'll suggest Blanding... I might just decide to not come home

Comment

the Burger King (go figure) in Kayenta has a display about the Navaho Code Talkers. the campground in Bluff on the San Juan has a nice petroglyph panel. quick stop, easy viewing.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Comment

the Burger King (go figure) in Kayenta has a display about the Navaho Code Talkers. the campground in Bluff on the San Juan has a nice petroglyph panel. quick stop, easy viewing.
                    I'm going to have a really tough time cutting things out to make it a good (not stressful) 9 days

Comment

No luck with 'Wave' hiking permits this go-round... I might talk winger into picking one day along the trip (probably while we're in the Page area) to go down there in the AM and try to get in on the lottery, but we'll see

I also might just enter the lotto random days every month until I get it, and if so, plan another quick trip out there for that

Comment

An update on my previous post about Thrifty rental car. I had pulled together all the information I could find on the problems we had with them. I gave them one last call and told them that we'd prefer to resolve the situation with them, but otherwise we'd dispute it with our credit card company. The gal who I spoke to was 180 degrees from previous people we'd dealt with. She apparently is assigned to problem cases where there are disputes. I faxed and e-mailed her various documentation, and within half an hour she called back and said that after what we'd been through with Thrifty, they'd refund our entire rental cost. She even said one of their site managers would be reprimanded for the way they dealt with us. Can't complain about that, though it's been a hassle to pull everything together, etc. So, kudos to Thrifty for doing the right thing eventually, though I'm still not enamored with the idea of renting from them again.
                        Originally posted by Priceless
                        Good to see you're so reasonable.
                        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                        Very well, said.
                        Originally posted by Rover
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

So, here's a very basic sketch outline of the first possible itinerary I've come up with:
                          Las Vegas>
                          Valley of Fire State Park>
                          Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park>
                          Page, Arizona (Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe bend and Alstrom Point are all focuses)>
                          Monument Valley>
                          Goosenecks State Park>
                          Mesa Verde NP>
                          Moab (Arches NP, Dead Horse Point SP and Canyonlands NP)>
                          Bryce Canyon NP(Drive through and quick stops at Capitol Reef NP and scenic Rt 12)>
                          Zion NP>
                          Las Vegas

Comment

Note for people applying for a new passport (or replacing theirs):
                            Prices to rise on July 13th

Comment

• Indianapolis?

I'm headed to the Indianapolis area tomorrow for 12 days to shoot a baseball tournament. We'll be north of Indianapolis (Westfield) and I'm wondering if there's anything worth checking out, probably at night (I think the games will be over by dark)...

Comment

Has anyone been to Jordan? Am looking at this for my Jan-Mar 2011 trip. Lots of nice archaeological sights, Petra, Pella and Jerash along with a crusader fort or two. Wondering about safety, food any other possible issues. Is a visa required for US citizens? Plus I will probably add at least one day in Amman, anything to do in the city. Also since the trip is only 8 days, I am wondering how difficult it would be to go to Jerusalem from there to spend a few days.

On a US note my buddies and I are taking our annual Civil War trip soon and was looking for restaurant and bar recommendations in the Winchester VA, Charlottesville VA and Gettysburg PA areas.
                                Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Working...
                                X