X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
    But, .... Why would you?
    That's just what I thought when I read Brenthoven's post...

Comment

Anyone got any recommendations for restaurants in Downtown Denver and around the Denver Convention Center that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm staying at the Brown Palace Hotel or something like that.

I'm going to be at a Technology conference starting Friday there and I'd love some recommendations.

Also, would love some advice on what to do in the evening. I have two evenings I'm not busy.
      Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
        Quick NYC Baseball Trip

A buddy and I are driving down to NY for a Mets game on Sun Aug 1 and a Yankees Game Mon Aug 2. We have no idea where we're staying Sun night (any suggestions?), and I'd like to work a trip to the Central Park Zoo in there on Monday morning/early afternoon, but have NO idea the best way to get around.

Any suggestions on parking/public transportation/lodging?
        Gibber - look at hotels in the financial district. They are packed during the week and have much better rates on the weekend. Not cheap but still a better deal than staying near TS or CP. The Hilton right next to the WTC site is relatively new, near the subway and has some nice views. It is near the Seaport and ferries. That is a hike to the games but, from my experience, you will save enough to offset the longer subway/taxi ride.

Anybody got advice for driving to and/or activities near Huntington WV from the philly area? Soccer regionals are July 4th weekend (ugh) and it looks like we are in for a long, long ride.
        Last edited by pirate; 06-24-2010, 07:34 AM.
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing77 View Post
          Anyone got any recommendations for restaurants in Downtown Denver and around the Denver Convention Center that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm staying at the Brown Palace Hotel or something like that.
          the Brown Palace is cool. there is a neat retro bar downstairs. no specific recommendations but wander the downtown - its full of neat bars and restaurants. Rockies game? US Mint? Western Art Museum? Museum of Natural History? Denver has a very good light rail system.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            the Brown Palace is cool. there is a neat retro bar downstairs. no specific recommendations but wander the downtown - its full of neat bars and restaurants. Rockies game? US Mint? Western Art Museum? Museum of Natural History? Denver has a very good light rail system.
            Thanks for responding!

Unfortunately the Rockies aren't in town or I'd definitely go watch them play. I love going to MLB games even if the Rockies aren't my team.

I can't wait. Tomorrow it all goes down!
            Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

I'm going to be at a Technology conference starting Friday there and I'd love some recommendations.

Also, would love some advice on what to do in the evening. I have two evenings I'm not busy.
              Based on our experience at the FF, staying near the 18th Street pedestrial mall is great. The pedestrian mall is many blocks long, and is lined with fun stores, restaurants, etc.

http://www.denver.org/what-to-do/att...ail?memid=2435

Comment

Thanks for responding!

Unfortunately the Rockies aren't in town or I'd definitely go watch them play. I love going to MLB games even if the Rockies aren't my team.

I can't wait. Tomorrow it all goes down!
                you'll have a great time! its a fun city.
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Is there a site/function out there that allows you to see hotels on your route? I have a 8-9 hour trip to make and am thinking of leaving the night before and driving as far as makes sense and then stopping for the night...I can't be sure where I'll be at what time and don't want to pick a town in advance and get there too early or too late. My gps will help with some of that but I'd prefer to have some planning in advance so I can know what type of hotels are in the reasonable distance.

Traveling through MD and into WV so it is likely there will be stretches without hotels...don't want to get stranded where the next place is far away and I'm getting tired.

This must exist someplace...or I call dibs and will make the millions myself.
                  I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pardonme View Post
                    Driving in the city sucks, use the subway. You may be better off staying somewhere outside of the city and just using a train to get in, but thats up to you. Parking can be pretty expensive although if you stay at a hotel in the city it may have a decent rate for parking.
                    Originally posted by jmh View Post
                    pardonme is right; drive most of the way down, park at a Metro-North station (you might have to pay to park but that plus train fare will be cheaper than parking and gas and tolls in and around the city; Stamford might be a good bet because I believe there are a lot of trains from there) and take the train to Grand Central. Find a cheap hotel near there (for one night, the saying "they all look the same with the lights off" is especially true) and then you're right by the 7 train to get to the Mets game and the 4 train to get to the Yankees game. I'm told that Yankee Stadium is very strict about bringing bags inside, but there are places nearby that let you do bag check, and then you could grab a direct train back up to Stamford from Yankee Stadium after the game.

For what it's worth, if you or your friend are really into zoos, you might be happier going to the Bronx Zoo rather than the Central Park Zoo; you'll be up in that direction anyway if you're going to the Yankee game that night, and it's a *lot* bigger.
                    Thanks for the suggestions. I know the Bronx Zoo is bigger and closer proximity to Yankee Stadium, but Central Park Zoo has been suggested, and We're hoping to be in that area in the morning/early afternoon... still ironing out details, but looking forward to this quick trip to the city...

Comment

So, our trip to the southwest is set, as far as flying/rental car.

We're flying into Vegas Friday Sept 24 and home Monday Oct 4, so basically we'll have 9 days to drive around Southern Utah and Northern Arizona... I'm still having a hard time trimming down the itinerary so we can appreciate the places we stop. Assuming we don't get selected in the lottery on Thursday to hike into "The Wave", We're going to do a loop (not sure which direction yet) that includes Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Lake Powell/Antelope Canyon and a few quicker stops along the way (Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Capitol Reef National park, scenic drive up Rt 12, etc..

Has anyone done this type of trip while camping for the majority of the time, and if so, where? Also, does anyone have experience renting camping/hiking equipment? Instead of lugging so much stuff (most of which we'd have to buy anyway) out there, we're looking into renting at least a tent/bags/pads/backpacks/poles... but have never done this before....

Any suggestions?

Comment

Looking for a day trip from Madison/Milwaukee/Chicago area? Try Lake Geneva, WI. My wife and I went there yesterday (6/27) and the 21-mile lake walk is cheap (free) and fun to do. EVERYTHING ELSE in the town is horribly expensive. The path follows the entire shore of Geneva Lake, right through the grounds of all of the huge mansions by the shoreline. If you don't want to walk all 21 miles (we were only there for 3-4 hours, so we didn't), start in the city and go a few miles along the north or south shore - the north shore has more mansions, I think, but the south shore has several spectacular ones.
                        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post

Anybody got advice for driving to and/or activities near Huntington WV from the philly area? Soccer regionals are July 4th weekend (ugh) and it looks like we are in for a long, long ride.
                          new river gorge bridge on 19 is a sight to see.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                            I learned something new today. You can actually travel to Pyongyang. Well maybe not you specifically, but tourists in general.
                            I have to say that North Korea would be an awesome place to visit. It's just an amazing place. I would love to see the nuttiness for myself, canned guides and all.

Boing Boing today published this link:
                            http://www.korea-dpr.com/users/thai/Us.htm

It contains murals "depicting" American troops' behavior during the Korean War at one of Kim's museums.
                            Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                              I have to say that North Korea would be an awesome place to visit. It's just an amazing place. I would love to see the nuttiness for myself, canned guides and all.

Boing Boing today published this link:
                              http://www.korea-dpr.com/users/thai/Us.htm

It contains murals "depicting" American troops' behavior during the Korean War at one of Kim's museums.
                              Agreed. Those "closed history" countries always fascinated me. Personally, I'd love to see all of Russia because of that.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                                So, our trip to the southwest is set, as far as flying/rental car.

We're flying into Vegas Friday Sept 24 and home Monday Oct 4, so basically we'll have 9 days to drive around Southern Utah and Northern Arizona... I'm still having a hard time trimming down the itinerary so we can appreciate the places we stop. Assuming we don't get selected in the lottery on Thursday to hike into "The Wave", We're going to do a loop (not sure which direction yet) that includes Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Lake Powell/Antelope Canyon and a few quicker stops along the way (Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Capitol Reef National park, scenic drive up Rt 12, etc..

Has anyone done this type of trip while camping for the majority of the time, and if so, where? Also, does anyone have experience renting camping/hiking equipment? Instead of lugging so much stuff (most of which we'd have to buy anyway) out there, we're looking into renting at least a tent/bags/pads/backpacks/poles... but have never done this before....

Any suggestions?
                                No Grand Canyon?

Sure, it's a bit passe and the main view points are crowded with tour buses, but it really is incredible. I've been 3 times (only hiked all the way to the bottom once), and would go again in a heartbeat. If you haven't been, I think it would be a shame to pass up the chance. Bryce and Zion are beautiful, and possibly a bit more "fathomable" - you really feel like you can get up close with the formations and really enjoy them, but the, well, grandeur of the Grand Canyon is in another league.

I've never planned the kind of trip that you're talking about, unfortunately, so I can't help with camping or equipment recommendations. Definitely check out a Golden Eagle pass - $80 gets you and up to 3 other adults in the same car access to essentially all of the national parks. It pays for itself in 2-4 park entries, depending how many people you have in the car.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X