X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    How do you have the best chance to score a seat with the most legroom. I'm not a supertall guy, but have long legs. 36"+ inseam or so. I've gotten lucky with people I know or online ticket booking, but I'd like to know a for sure way.
    I've found generally, Airbusses have no leg room, while the old DC-9/10's have plenty. Boeings are hit and miss depending on which one you're on, but always seem better than Airbusses. None of the small commuter planes that I have been on have enough leg room for me.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I've found generally, Airbusses have no leg room, while the old DC-9/10's have plenty. Boeings are hit and miss depending on which one you're on, but always seem better than Airbusses. None of the small commuter planes that I have been on have enough leg room for me.
      The quantity of rows in the plane is 100% dependent on the airline, not the type.
      Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Here's what my trip is shaping up to be next week...

Wednesday, drive from St. Paul to Milwaukee. Twins Game.
        Thursday, fly from Milwaukee to Philadelphia. Drive to Atlantic City.
        Friday, Six Flags in New Jersey.
        Saturday, Belmont Park, NYC.
        Sunday, Twins-Mets game.
        Monday, fly back to Milwaukee, drive to St. Paul.

What else should I check out?

Comment

Well, time for some input:

I will be in Madison this August for a wedding. Arriving on a Tuesday sometime, and Fri/Sat I will be obviously wedding oriented. Dunno how much free time I'll have, and if it matters, I will be staying at the Holiday Inn in east Madison, just east of Lake Mendota.

Any must sees besides State Street? Basically looking for a good time, not traditional touristy stuff. Any non-chains that are noted for their good burger, or good breakfast, etc etc etc. will be appreciated, as well.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Mickies Dairy Bar for breakfast. especially good with a hangover.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I will be in Madison this August for a wedding. Arriving on a Tuesday sometime, and Fri/Sat I will be obviously wedding oriented. Dunno how much free time I'll have, and if it matters, I will be staying at the Holiday Inn in east Madison, just east of Lake Mendota.

Any must sees besides State Street? Basically looking for a good time, not traditional touristy stuff. Any non-chains that are noted for their good burger, or good breakfast, etc etc etc. will be appreciated, as well.
              Wow, that's a long time to be there for the wedding.

The general consensus is that Dotty Dumpling's Dowry has the best burgers in town. There are a few good Italian places around town. Some of them are on State Street- I have two sentimental favorites (Paisan's and Portabella) that are both downtown and close to State Street. Come Back In/Essenhaus is a great German place east of Capitol Square. It's best on weekends, but last I knew they still had live music every night.

State Street is actually a very good place to go for good eats. Lots of chains, but there are quite a few longstanding places to get food, with a good variety of ethnic options (from African to Nepalese to Middle Eastern in addition to the standard Mexican/Italian/Etc. joints).

If you have a bike, the trails around Madison are fantastic. Mrs. EoDS and I used to do a loop: start on campus, take the Southwest Path past the Beltline, head left into Fitchburg on the Captial City Path, follow that path all the way up to Lake Monona, and reconnect with the Southwest Path back into campus. There are other trails around (going from the Arboretum- the huge park south of Lake Wingra- all the way out to John Nolen Drive is a delight) and the city as a whole is very bike friendly.

The Memorial Union Terrace is a classic hangout during Madison summers. Cheap pitchers of beer available (including a very good variety of Wisconsin brews) and some nice Mendota breezes for a relaxing afternoon or evening.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Quick NYC Baseball Trip

A buddy and I are driving down to NY for a Mets game on Sun Aug 1 and a Yankees Game Mon Aug 2. We have no idea where we're staying Sun night (any suggestions?), and I'd like to work a trip to the Central Park Zoo in there on Monday morning/early afternoon, but have NO idea the best way to get around.

Any suggestions on parking/public transportation/lodging?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                  Quick NYC Baseball Trip

A buddy and I are driving down to NY for a Mets game on Sun Aug 1 and a Yankees Game Mon Aug 2. We have no idea where we're staying Sun night (any suggestions?), and I'd like to work a trip to the Central Park Zoo in there on Monday morning/early afternoon, but have NO idea the best way to get around.

Driving in the city sucks, use the subway. You may be better off staying somewhere outside of the city and just using a train to get in, but thats up to you. Parking can be pretty expensive although if you stay at a hotel in the city it may have a decent rate for parking.

Comment

I learned something new today. You can actually travel to Pyongyang. Well maybe not you specifically, but tourists in general.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                      Quick NYC Baseball Trip

Originally posted by pardonme View Post
                      Driving in the city sucks, use the subway. You may be better off staying somewhere outside of the city and just using a train to get in, but thats up to you. Parking can be pretty expensive although if you stay at a hotel in the city it may have a decent rate for parking.
                      pardonme is right; drive most of the way down, park at a Metro-North station (you might have to pay to park but that plus train fare will be cheaper than parking and gas and tolls in and around the city; Stamford might be a good bet because I believe there are a lot of trains from there) and take the train to Grand Central. Find a cheap hotel near there (for one night, the saying "they all look the same with the lights off" is especially true) and then you're right by the 7 train to get to the Mets game and the 4 train to get to the Yankees game. I'm told that Yankee Stadium is very strict about bringing bags inside, but there are places nearby that let you do bag check, and then you could grab a direct train back up to Stamford from Yankee Stadium after the game.

For what it's worth, if you or your friend are really into zoos, you might be happier going to the Bronx Zoo rather than the Central Park Zoo; you'll be up in that direction anyway if you're going to the Yankee game that night, and it's a *lot* bigger.
                      Cornell University Men's Hockey
                      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Wow, that's a long time to be there for the wedding.
                        Well, he's flying to the Twin Cities from CO about a week earlier, for the whole bachelor thing and to see friends that won't make the wedding, etc, then we're driving out to Madison on Tue, picking his fiancee up at the airport, and then we all have a couple days for fun (or for last minute fixes for the wedding) before that weekend.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Come Back In/Essenhaus is a great German place east of Capitol Square. It's best on weekends, but last I knew they still had live music every night.
                          I will second the Essen Haus, great place.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                            I will second the Essen Haus, great place - for Wisconsin.
                            FYP

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                              I learned something new today. You can actually travel to Pyongyang. Well maybe not you specifically, but tourists in general.
                              But, .... Why would you?
                              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                                The quantity of rows in the plane is 100% dependent on the airline, not the type.
                                Well, it has held true on all of the airlines I've flown on, so I'm going with it.

In addition to the other suggestions, Ian's Pizza is quite tasty and in addition to the burgers at that Dotty's place (which are excellent, BTW) I also think the burgers at the Nitty Gritty are excellent.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X