This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

You know one other thing I did near cincinnati that was pretty cool was I went to Milan, IN...the town that the movie Hoosiers was based on...Pretty cool little stop and its only about 13 miles south of I-74 near Batesville, IN.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Skyline chili, if for no other reason to say you did it.

Been a long time since I had family around Cinci, but if you like BBQ, there is a restaurant called Montgomery Inn that has a handful of locations in the greater Cinci area. Best known for their ribs, but everything was good when I went.

Cincinnati zoo is also a decent way to kill time if you need a reason to.

And GABP is a real nice stadium to catch a game. Nice view over RF to the Ohio River and the towboats going past.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        Never travel to Paris, FR in August. What were we thinking?
        Originally posted by jmh View Post
        Everything closed? I had that problem when I was there too.
        Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        That you'd enjoy Paris without the Parisians?
        I think there may be a distinction: In early August, I'm guessing there's a lot of stuff closed, so yeah - no chance to enjoy good ole Parisian haughtiness. Mid-to-late August, many of the locals have returned, but it's just that tourists outnumber natives about 3:1. The popular sites are crazy madhouses as a result. Prepare for long waits unless you spent a lot on tours ahead of time.

Comment

Going thru the thread I noticed several people have been to Greece recently.

I am heading out next week for a combination mainland tour/cruise but have 3+ free days in Athens. I have a general idea what I want to see since I was there in 1998 but wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation for a day with visits Thermopolye, Marathon and Salamais. I did a Normandy tour with a company called Battle Bus or something similar of the Normandy Beaches when I was in Paris and was looking for something similar.

Right know I am planning on hitting the Archaeological Museum the day I get in since the plane lands 9:00 a.m. this will probably kill that day. Day 2 is Parthenon, Agora, Temple of Olympian Zeus and the other ancient sights. Day 3 I'd like the hit the battlefields and then day 4 I am going to play by ear since how much time I have depends on when the cruise boat gets in. I was also thinking about catching a show at the theater below the Acropolis if they have a show going on.

Anybody have any other recommendations for Athens and the surrounding area?
          Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post

I am heading out next week for a combination mainland tour/cruise but have 3+ free days in Athens. I have a general idea what I want to see since I was there in 1998 but wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation for a day with visits Thermopolye, Marathon and Salamais. I did a Normandy tour with a company called Battle Bus or something similar of the Normandy Beaches when I was in Paris and was looking for something similar.

Right know I am planning on hitting the Archaeological Museum the day I get in since the plane lands 9:00 a.m. this will probably kill that day. Day 2 is Parthenon, Agora, Temple of Olympian Zeus and the other ancient sights. Day 3 I'd like the hit the battlefields and then day 4 I am going to play by ear since how much time I have depends on when the cruise boat gets in. I was also thinking about catching a show at the theater below the Acropolis if they have a show going on.

I've been to all those battlefields. I looked at the tours but decided that they were too expensive for what you got and how long you were there. that might be different for you.

Thermopylea is about a 2 hour drive n of Athens. there is a nice visitor center that explains the battle well and has a number of good displays. You can go to the hot gates at the north end, and to the hill where the final 300 died. there is a memorial at the top. the Phocian wall is also there but much shorter due to silt filling in the area.The statue to Leonidas is also there and is visited by every Greek class of incoming soldiers in basic training. I thought it was great. it took us about 2.5 hours once we got there.
            Marathon is about 45 minutes from central athens and is mostly developed. the plain of marathon is about 15 sq miles and there is a memorial where the Athenians who fell are buried and a statue of Miltiades. Also there is a small museum at the back of the plain and separately a hard to find monument towards the east of the plain at the site of where the Persians turned and ran.This is the spot that the battle turned and a lot of persians fell here.. The old memorial dates from 400 BC roughly and fell down and is laying in the weeds nearby. the new memorial is what you see now.

Further to the east, the olympic rowing venue is now on what was the swamp that many of the persians ran into before they were slaughtered.
            We got a cab to take us around Marathon but a tour might be better as the cab ended up being expensive after we had him drive us all over seeing the places of the battle.

salamis, being a sea battle is best seen from a hill. The site can be seen in the distance from Lycabettus hill in Athens, but it's better to go out there. I don't know about the tour there, I got a book on it.

other battle fields that might be on interest are Plataea, where the persians were finally defeated, or leuctra, where the Spartans lost their first major battle and were subjugated, actually Greece is covered with these kinds of places.

all of these take at least half day. good luck. let us know how you like them.
            Last edited by manurespreader; 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

The new Acropolis Museum that opened in 2009 is fantastic. Might be a bit duplicative of the Archaeological Museum that you've already got in your plans but it's definitely worth a look.
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

The new Acropolis Museum that opened in 2009 is fantastic. Might be a bit duplicative of the Archaeological Museum that you've already got in your plans but it's definitely worth a look.
                Seconded. Well worth the visit.

Also, take the hike (or the tram) up Mount Lycabettus. Best view of the city.
                Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

I am definitely hitting this on the second day. Planning on starting at the Acropolis and working my way thru the ancient sites in the area, Parthenon Museum, Agora, Temple of Olympian Zeus etc. Taking my time since the tour actually goes to the Parthenon but since it reads City Tour of Athens with a visit to the Acropolis then on to cross the Corinth canal and onto Mycenae means a little bit of time there and I do not want to be rushed around. Last time I was there I stupidly only added 1 extra day and that was mainly taken up by the Archaeological Museum and I didn't visit the Agora.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I've been to all those battlefields. I looked at the tours but decided that they were too expensive for what you got and how long you were there. that might be different for you.

Thermopylea is about a 2 hour drive n of Athens. there is a nice visitor center that explains the battle well and has a number of good displays. You can go to the hot gates at the north end, and to the hill where the final 300 died. there is a memorial at the top. the Phocian wall is also there but much shorter due to silt filling in the area.The statue to Leonidas is also there and is visited by every Greek class of incoming soldiers in basic training. I thought it was great. it took us about 2.5 hours once we got there.
                  Marathon is about 45 minutes from central athens and is mostly developed. the plain of marathon is about 15 sq miles and there is a memorial where the Athenians who fell are buried and a statue of Miltiades. Also there is a small museum at the back of the plain and separately a hard to find monument towards the east of the plain at the site of where the Persians turned and ran.This is the spot that the battle turned and a lot of persians fell here.. The old memorial dates from 400 BC roughly and fell down and is laying in the weeds nearby. the new memorial is what you see now.

Further to the east, the olympic rowing venue is now on what was the swamp that many of the persians ran into before they were slaughtered.
                  We got a cab to take us around Marathon but a tour might be better as the cab ended up being expensive after we had him drive us all over seeing the places of the battle.

salamis, being a sea battle is best seen from a hill. The site can be seen in the distance from Lycabettus hill in Athens, but it's better to go out there. I don't know about the tour there, I got a book on it.

other battle fields that might be on interest are Plataea, where the persians were finally defeated, or leuctra, where the Spartans lost their first major battle and were subjugated, actually Greece is covered with these kinds of places.

all of these take at least half day. good luck. let us know how you like them.
                  I basically went to Trip Advisor clicked on the tour companies and checked out what they all offered. Only 1 which was a private tour and cost 350 euros went to both. Many companies did Marathon as a 1/2 day or a full day tour with Marathon and Souunion or Marathon and the ruins of Corinth. Right now I am leaning towards doing the Full day with Corinth. I think I may try to work on the tour manager and if we drive by Termopolye maybe I can talk them into stopping. We did stop at a scenic overlooking Salamais when I was there in 1998 so I do have some photo's of the bay where the battle took place. I know from looking at photo's of them that there isn't really a whole lot to the battlefields but would like to visit if possible without spending beau-coup bucks.
                  Last edited by Probert; 10-05-2014, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I am definitely hitting this on the second day. Planning on starting at the Acropolis and working my way thru the ancient sites in the area, Parthenon Museum, Agora, Temple of Olympian Zeus etc. Taking my time since the tour actually goes to the Parthenon but since it reads City Tour of Athens with a visit to the Acropolis then on to cross the Corinth canal and onto Mycenae means a little bit of time there and I do not want to be rushed around. Last time I was there I stupidly only added 1 extra day and that was mainly taken up by the Archaeological Museum and I didn't visit the Agora.

I basically went to Trip Advisor clicked on the tour companies and checked out what they all offered. Only 1 which was a private tour and cost 350 euros went to both. Many companies did Marathon as a 1/2 day or a full day tour with Marathon and Souunion or Marathon and the ruins of Corinth. Right now I am leaning towards doing the Full day with Corinth. I think I may try to work on the tour manager and if we drive by Termopolye maybe I can talk them into stopping. We did stop at a scenic overlooking Salamais when I was there in 1998 so I do have some photo's of the bay where the battle took place. I know from looking at photo's of them that there isn't really a whole lot to the battlefields but would like to visit if possible without spending beau-coup bucks.
                    You can find group tours of these places for about 120 euro's which might be ok. Corinth is worthwhile but's not really in the direction of thermopylea. if you are going that way( korinth) I'd consider Epidavros, or I suppose you could go out to the airport on the train, rent a car and then go where you want.

Comment

You can find group tours of these places for about 120 euro's which might be ok. Corinth is worthwhile but's not really in the direction of thermopylea. if you are going that way( korinth) I'd consider Epidavros, or I suppose you could go out to the airport on the train, rent a car and then go where you want.
                      Epidaurus is include on the mainland part of my tour along with Mycenae, Delphi, Olympia, Sparta and Meteora . I just remember last time I was their after we got back to Athens I asked the tour manager why we didn't stop at Thermoplye and she said sometimes we stop and let people look at the field and statue, I think the visitor's center is fairly new, after The 300 I'm guessing. This time I will ask before we get back to Athens. the tour has a free day in Athens between the end of the mainland tour and the start of the cruise that I am planning on playing by ear so if I find a couple of people interested we can split a cab 2,3,4 ways rather than having to do it on my own.

Comment

Anyone been to Puerto Rico? I'm going in november for an undetermined number of days, but can stay as long as It takes within reason of course.

Comment

Anyone been to Puerto Rico? I'm going in november for an undetermined number of days, but can stay as long as It takes within reason of course.

I haven't, but when looking into it as a possible destination, this looked like a must visit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieques,_Puerto_Rico

Especially for the Bioluminescent Bay. I read somewhere that you can even snorkel in it.

Comment

Strap-in... this is a long reply (my apologies in-advance)!!

I have logged many trips to Puerto Rico from 1990-2005 for both business and pleasure, but have not been there since 2005, so this info may be a bit ‘dated’. Plenty of hotels in San Juan, many with beach-front, and as a result most visitors to the island do not venture too far from the city. The typical “touristy stuff” to do is hitting the beaches, and walking/shopping around the cobblestone streets of Old San Juan & the El Morro fortress. At the risk of having Gurtholfin kick me in the head for even suggesting it, you could also tour the Bacardi plant across the bay from Old San Juan, with a tasting afterwards (this is where I got hooked on Bacardi Limon and tonic... the only Bacardi product I will consume by-choice).

A must-do on your list is a visit to El Yunque, which is a tropical rain forest between San Juan and the beaches of Luquillo and Fajardo. I highly recommend hiking some trails there... some will lead to awesome waterfalls with shallow natural swimming pools to enjoy. It’s a rain forest, so you’re likely to get wet during your excursion, especially if you go during the “rainy season” (aka – “Hurricane season”, June through November).

My travels took me to the central mountain region, with a LOT of time spent in Caguas and Cayey. Not much to do there unless you know some locals that could take you to some fantastic places to eat and/or drink, but an absolutely beautiful drive through the Cayey mountains en-route to Ponce on the southern coast, should you choose to go there. I’ve only spent an afternoon in Ponce, so I cannot offer much on this city other than I understand that there is a high density of museums and art there.

If you like to surf, the beaches on the northwest coast are for you. Also in that general area of the island is Arecibo, home of the large radio observatory constructed within the mountains (a science nerd like me would really enjoy that, and I did!). A really cool experience.

There is a lot to see and do there, so I suppose it just comes-down to what you want to do. There is culture, art, outdoor adventure, coastal relaxation, nightlife (with some great Latin entertainment), unique foods, and no passport required for US citizens. By the way, the locals are extremely passionate about elections, so if you are going in late October/early-November, it can be a bit crazy. Christmas in Puerto Rico is absolutely fantastic, and of course much different than my northern “roots” and traditions (I especially enjoyed the holiday consumption of Pitoro!).

Speaking of foods, some hints – Rice and Beans is the Puerto Rican equivalent of French Fries in the states, it comes with almost everything. Fried Plantains (Tostones) are also popular, and some local dishes include Mofungo and Lechon, both are excellent when prepared well, but like anything can be hit-or-miss depending on the restaurant. One beverage I really miss is Acerola juice. The Acerola (also known as the Caribbean Cherry) is the size of a crab apple, and one of them has like 400% your vitamin C requirements. Mix it with Rum, and you have a truly magical elixir!

Getting-around. Ah yes, here’s the catch. Prior to my first trip to the island in 1990, my Boss at the time gave me some words of wisdom. He said: “There are 3-million people on that island. 1-million live in San Juan, and the rest are in cars”. The numbers have certainly changed since then, but the concept still applies. Driving there requires a level of aggressiveness that is an acquired skill. Having driven in Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, and LA (among others), and I would put San Juan as the worst experience of ‘em all. Red lights are mere suggestions, and I’ve been nearly T-boned on more than one occasion. Not saying it’s impossible to manage, but as long as you are alert and ready for anything, anytime, you’ll be fine driving in-and-around San Juan.

In summary... my family and I really want to go back to Puerto Rico, but we just cannot seem to find the opportunity. However, the desire to return is very strong. I do not believe you will be disappointed should you choose to go.

Cheers!!!
                            ~TTF
                            Dave
                            RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                              At the risk of having Gurtholfin kick me in the head for even suggesting it, you could also tour the Bacardi plant across the bay from Old San Juan, with a tasting afterwards (this is where I got hooked on Bacardi Limon and tonic... the only Bacardi product I will consume by-choice).

Nah... I'm all about "to each their own."

The vast majority of folks aren't snobby like me when it comes to rum.

I went on the Heileman's brewery tour many times when I lived in LaCrosse back in the day and enjoyed it each time.

Comment

Working...
                              X