This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by burd View Post
    At the risk of seriously addressing your question, Slap, what takes you to Manila? And for how long?
    Two year gig with my current company and I'll be involved with the startup of a new office location. Additionally it's closer to my wife's family in Bangkok, chance to see more of the world (I lived in Bahrain for a year back in 96 so I have some previous experience), after that we'll have to see.

Comment

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by jmh View Post
      We're going to be staying in Grand Case, supposedly (it's hard to find precise locations, it seems) within walking distance of the restaurants, but I think we'll probably rent a car regardless because it seems to be very cheap.

Anguilla seems like it would be a cool trip but I'm not sure it'd necessary be worth the time commitment for, basically, just the novelty factor of it.
      If you are looking for a nice quiet relaxing time then don't bother with a car. You can achieve that fully if you are walking distance to the restaurant strip. But find out how much transport to/from the airport is going to cost, it might not be too bad relative to the cost of a rental car.

Anguilla's draw is the beaches which are pretty spectacular. But it is a lot of effort.
      Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Two year gig with my current company and I'll be involved with the startup of a new office location. Additionally it's closer to my wife's family in Bangkok, chance to see more of the world (I lived in Bahrain for a year back in 96 so I have some previous experience), after that we'll have to see.
        Sounds like a great opportunity. And with the wonders of modern technology, you can take us with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Lucky you. That sounds amazing.
          Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Never travel to Paris, FR in August. What were we thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
              Vive le France in my pants?
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Everything closed? I had that problem when I was there too.
                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

That you'd enjoy Paris without the Parisians?

Comment

If you are looking for an interesting place..

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/tr...n-glasgow.html
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Sorry for the double post.
                      This being the 100th anniversary year of world war one starting, over the next couple of years a number of memorial things will take place, mostly in France. There will be ceremonies for the Lafayette Escadrille, etc. http://francerevisited.com/2012/05/m...al-near-paris/

As the writer points out there are quite a few monuments and historic places within easy reach of Paris.

There is also nothing like coming into a small village somewhere in northern France and seeing a large American flag and a sign reading "Welcome our Liberators." In 2014.

Also a number of articles in the NYT about visiting recently.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/tr...tude.html?_r=0
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                        Everything closed? I had that problem when I was there too.
                        Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.

Comment

I realize the irony of asking about this location here on USCHO, but here it goes

Cincinnati, OH

Thinking about heading down there for a weekend last weekend in September... Leave Chicago Friday Morning, return Sunday... Just doing this on a whim... Came up with the idea of checking out King's Island amusement park at some point, and just kinda went from there... I see that the Reds are hosting the Pirates on the 26th, so that will probably be a priority.... Then we would do the amusement park on Saturday... Anything else worth checking out while I'm there? Bengals are on a bye that week, so no cheap NFL game option
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            I realize the irony of asking about this location here on USCHO, but here it goes

Cincinnati, OH

Thinking about heading down there for a weekend last weekend in September... Leave Chicago Friday Morning, return Sunday... Just doing this on a whim... Came up with the idea of checking out King's Island amusement park at some point, and just kinda went from there... I see that the Reds are hosting the Pirates on the 26th, so that will probably be a priority.... Then we would do the amusement park on Saturday... Anything else worth checking out while I'm there? Bengals are on a bye that week, so no cheap NFL game option
                            I remember having fun there when I checked out a brewers/reds game but I don't remember much else. I remember walking across to Covington, KY for the hell of it and enjoying some of the brew pubs downtown. That's about it beyond the game.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Cincinnati, OH

We spent a couple of days in Cincinnati in May. Had a fun time.

Going to a Red's game was a lot of fun. There is also a great little hole in the wall Irish Pub called O'Malley's in the Alley, or something like that, on Ogden, between Race and Vine. I highly recommend it.

You should also take a moment to stroll over the John Roebling suspension bridge. This bridge, of course, was designed by the man who did the Brooklyn Bridge in NY, and has many similar characteristics.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Cincinnati to Cedar Point is only 4 hrs. Could check out 2 amusement parks!
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X