This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Wife and I are spending a week in Hawaii in July. Think we have the itinerary mapped out.

But we're flying non stop from Dulles to Honolulu. Any advice on how to survive an 11 hr plane flight? Flying United in Economy Plus in a 767.

Is there a way to game the system to get a bump to First Class?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I received a call last week that I won a $5,000, 7 day Caribbean cruise on Clebrity Cruise lines. Life is good.
      Originally posted by mookie1995
      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
        I received a call last week that I won a $5,000, 7 day Caribbean cruise on Clebrity Cruise lines. Life is good.
        Nigerian flagged vessel?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
          Until you find out your celebrity bunkmates are Carrot Top, Alec Baldwin and Verne Troyer.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Wife and I are spending a week in Hawaii in July. Think we have the itinerary mapped out.

But we're flying non stop from Dulles to Honolulu. Any advice on how to survive an 11 hr plane flight? Flying United in Economy Plus in a 767.

I've found brownies work well for the Maui to Chicago flight.

Comment

Nigerian flagged vessel?
              Nope. A legit raffle. The mother of a BC player publicized the raffle. $50 a ticket and 3 for $100. It's on Celebrity Cruise Line.
              Originally posted by mookie1995
              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                I've found brownies work well for the Maui to Chicago flight.
                Colorado brownies?
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Colorado brownies?
                  Kitty Forman: [about Hyde's brownies] Well, I know Steven put the special ingredient in.
                  Eric: I told him not to!
                  Hyde: [At the same time] Special ingredient?
                  Kitty Forman: Of course! Love!
                  Hyde: Yes, ma'am, Mrs. Forman. There's a whole big bag of love in here.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I just got back from 3 weeks in Spain. it's great and lot's to see. look out for pick pockets though. it's a real problem.I took my wallet out of my pocket and put it in my GF's purse. We did it for less than 150 per day.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Unless you're willing to try and negotiate a price at the ticket counter then pay on the spot, good luck getting that bump ahead of all the PlatinumGoldDiamondSapphire loyalty people on standby for the bump.

Comment

Has anyone stayed at a Sandals? We're weighing all honeymoon options and all-inclusive is on the table. I'm curious to know if people felt like they got their money's worth.

If we did Sandals, it would probably be in the Bahamas if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
                          Has anyone stayed at a Sandals? We're weighing all honeymoon options and all-inclusive is on the table. I'm curious to know if people felt like they got their money's worth.

If we did Sandals, it would probably be in the Bahamas if that makes a difference.
                          Sandals resorts (at least, the ones we looked into when we were planning our honeymoon) are huge and, from a brief visit to one while on the honeymoon (we stayed somewhere else, but went on a zipline tour with Sandals guests and they had a photographer there, so we bought a disc with our pictures) seem kind of impersonal. They're also, from the research I did, not really any less expensive than smaller independent all-inclusives. On the other hand, because of the massive scale (for example, Sandals La Toc, one of the three Sandals properties on St. Lucia, has 341 rooms; the two resorts between which we split our stay each had something like 30 or 40 rooms), they offer a lot wider variety of services to their guests (for example, the photographer I mentioned before; more activities; multiple restaurants per property).

As far as all-inclusives generally, you will probably spend more, but on the other hand you will have (more or less) cost certainty. And, if you're staying at a resort that has an all-inclusive option but not staying all-inclusive, the a la carte restaurant and bar prices will often be quite steep. I would advise you to read the fine print about what's included (things I've seen excluded include lunch and premium alcohol) and look for reviews about the restaurant(s) at the resort (separately from the resort itself) because if you're going to be paying up front to eat all your meals at one place or a limited set of places, you want them to be good.

Questions to ask yourselves:
                          A) Will you be renting a car? (Makes it more feasible not to do all-inclusive if it's easier to get off-property.)
                          B) Will you have the energy/desire/attention span to seek out different restaurants? (We correctly predicted that we would not; your own wedding weekend is a draining experience.)
                          C) Do you drink a lot, and will you want to on your honeymoon? (All-inclusive is a better deal if you're having a lot of drinks.)
                          D) Will you want to socialize with other couples or have quiet time just the two of you? (If you don't want to be social, Sandals is less likely to be a good option for you.)

Sorry for the long answer.
                          Cornell University Men's Hockey
                          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

I appreciate the long answer. You raise some good points that I didn't even think about, like the quality of restaurants. Thanks.

It's nice to have helpful internet friends when looking into this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
                              I appreciate the long answer. You raise some good points that I didn't even think about, like the quality of restaurants. Thanks.

It's nice to have helpful internet friends when looking into this stuff.
                              Happy to help. If you guys are considering St. Lucia, I can add some specifics and would highly recommend the resorts we stayed at.
                              Cornell University Men's Hockey
                              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

St. Lucia. must go there. bucket list. it looks beautiful from the air.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X