X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
    I just spend 5 nights on the Nicoya peninsula in Costa Rica. We stayed in Santa Teresa, which is a expat surfer hangout. Beautiful beaches, really good food (maybe not too authentic, but embracing the wonderful seafood available), and because it's all stoned surfers a very chill attitude. I didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back.

That sounds wonderful.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Any one been to Lisbon? Looking at going in July.
      Yes, in 2004. Great city, great region. I'd go back in a second. Any specifics? Questions?
      Bugs Bunny - 96
      Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Leaving for Greece on Thursday. Athens Friday-Monday, Santorini Tuesday-Saturday, Athens Sunday-Monday and then back home.

One question from the discussion upthread: is the Acropolis a doable walk for a senior citizen? I know it's on a hill, obviously, but I'm not really sure how high or steep, and my wife's grandmother doesn't handle stairs so well.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
          Leaving for Greece on Thursday. Athens Friday-Monday, Santorini Tuesday-Saturday, Athens Sunday-Monday and then back home.

One question from the discussion upthread: is the Acropolis a doable walk for a senior citizen? I know it's on a hill, obviously, but I'm not really sure how high or steep, and my wife's grandmother doesn't handle stairs so well.
          It is a bit of a hike. However, according to TripAdvisor and frommers, they do have an elevator installed now for the older/handicapped/less agile.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            It is a bit of a hike. However, according to TripAdvisor and frommers, they do have an elevator installed now for the older/handicapped/less agile.
            I've seen that as well, but also read that it's only available for guests in wheelchairs, which she is not.
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
              I've seen that as well, but also read that it's only available for guests in wheelchairs, which she is not.
              Hm, I would hope they would accommodate those who would struggle/endanger themselves trying to climb the steps. Hope they do, it is certainly a magnificent site to see.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                Yes, in 2004. Great city, great region. I'd go back in a second. Any specifics? Questions?
                Well we are going to Barcelona in late june and then from there to Lisbon. So the question is what to see, where to stay, how long to be there and what's the best way to leave? Air connections on the way out look kind of scarce. We are thinking of going to Paris or Amsterdam and flying out of one of those. But the big question is how long do we need?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Well we are going to Barcelona in late june and then from there to Lisbon. So the question is what to see, where to stay, how long to be there and what's the best way to leave? Air connections on the way out look kind of scarce. We are thinking of going to Paris or Amsterdam and flying out of one of those. But the big question is how long do we need?
                  Getting there and back:
                  Yeah, it's tricky. You can see why Portugal was the only continental western European country Napoleon didn't conquer -- it's a pain to get through those mountains, man. The train from Barcelona to Madrid is about 3 hours; from Madrid on to Lisbon -- same distance, 390 miles -- is 10. The air connections might be scarce, but they're usually much more worth it. (FYI, we flew direct from New York to Lisbon on Continental, so that's obviously not going to work anymore.)

How long do you need:
                  I'd say three days. One of those days would be going up to Sintra (under an hour by train) to see the palaces and the castles ruins; you'll be back in Lisbon for dinner in the evening, no problem. It would also include at least half a day going out to Belém to see the monastery, cloisters, maritime sights, and have a pastéis or three at the amazing, famous cafe out there.

Most of the must-sees I read about in Lisbon were worth it: the old Castelo Sao Jorge and the amazing views from up there; a tram ride through the old Alfama district; Belém; Sintra. We didn't make it to the Botanical Gardens or the Gulbenkian Museum, though they're supposed to be amazing. I really enjoyed just walking around. It felt somewhat like San Francisco that way: it's a beautiful city, warm weather, strong breeze off the ocean; and though there are major sites you should see, a lot of it was just walking around and seeing those crazy mosaic sidewalks, finding a funicular and taking it up to the neighborhood above, stopping at a bar at 5pm or so where everybody drops in for a beer and whatever little snacks they set out before heading home.

Hope that helps. If you want I can talk about the food and the wine, but we might be here for a month.
                  Bugs Bunny - 96
                  Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Rick Steve's program covered Lisbon recently. In fact, they might have handled much of the Iberian penninsula in a series of shows. You might want to see if they're at your local library.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                      Getting there and back:
                      Yeah, it's tricky. You can see why Portugal was the only continental western European country Napoleon didn't conquer -- it's a pain to get through those mountains, man. The train from Barcelona to Madrid is about 3 hours; from Madrid on to Lisbon -- same distance, 390 miles -- is 10. The air connections might be scarce, but they're usually much more worth it. (FYI, we flew direct from New York to Lisbon on Continental, so that's obviously not going to work anymore.)

How long do you need:
                      I'd say three days. One of those days would be going up to Sintra (under an hour by train) to see the palaces and the castles ruins; you'll be back in Lisbon for dinner in the evening, no problem. It would also include at least half a day going out to Belém to see the monastery, cloisters, maritime sights, and have a pastéis or three at the amazing, famous cafe out there.

Most of the must-sees I read about in Lisbon were worth it: the old Castelo Sao Jorge and the amazing views from up there; a tram ride through the old Alfama district; Belém; Sintra. We didn't make it to the Botanical Gardens or the Gulbenkian Museum, though they're supposed to be amazing. I really enjoyed just walking around. It felt somewhat like San Francisco that way: it's a beautiful city, warm weather, strong breeze off the ocean; and though there are major sites you should see, a lot of it was just walking around and seeing those crazy mosaic sidewalks, finding a funicular and taking it up to the neighborhood above, stopping at a bar at 5pm or so where everybody drops in for a beer and whatever little snacks they set out before heading home.

Hope that helps. If you want I can talk about the food and the wine, but we might be here for a month.
                      thanks, that helps a lot. !
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So was watching a program on NatGeo last night about the possibility of tsunamis in the Caribbean. They talked about fault lines near Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands and then went on to focus on the volcanic activity in the Lesser Antilles.

I love the gloom and doom tone that they take on those programs that make it sound like it could all go to **** tomorrow. I'm pretty much terrified to go to St. Lucia now.

Kind of interesting that we have our own little ring of fire right in the Caribbean. Before researching for our trip, I had no idea that these islands were all volcanic in origin. Excited to be on/see one.
                        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-19-2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          So was watching a program on NatGeo last night about the possibility of tsunamis in the Caribbean. They talked about fault lines near Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands and then went on to focus on the volcanic activity in the Lesser Antilles.
                          Was there any mention of the Wedge Antilles?
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Was there any mention of the Wedge Antilles?

Dude, this is serious ****. I could be vaporized in a pyroclastic flow or be washed away in a tsunami with 100 foot waves when Martinique collapses triggering an underwater landslide (both of which some of you are probably hoping for). The TV show said so!

As far as Wedge goes, wonder if he'll be in the reboot. According to the mythos, he is involved.
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-19-2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Dude, this is serious ****. I could be vaporized in a pyroclastic flow or be washed away in a tsunami with 100 foot waves when Martinique collapses triggering an underwater landslide (both of which some of you are probably hoping for). The TV show said so!

As far as Wedge goes, wonder if he'll be in the reboot. According to the mythos, he is involved.
                              He's the only character to pilot a fighter craft during both Death Star battles. How can you overlook such a pivotal character? In the books that have now been relegated, he actually becomes a fairly important character.

That said, maybe you should switch your trip to another island. I hear Greenland's nice that time of year. It's right there in the name of the island!

Comment

I love the gloom and doom tone that they take on those programs that make it sound like it could all go to **** tomorrow. I'm pretty much terrified to go to St. Lucia now.

Kind of interesting that we have our own little ring of fire right in the Caribbean. Before researching for our trip, I had no idea that these islands were all volcanic in origin. Excited to be on/see one.
                                except for Barbados. it is limestone and coral. yes, I would cancel that St. Lucia trip immediately. NOT.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X