X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
    Tortas Neza. 3 blocks from that hotel. You're freaking welcome.
    I'll probably be able to check that out. Anyone know of any brewpubs/taprooms/etc. where I an get good beer, and a growler that is nearby, or easy to get to via one of those underground train dohickeys?
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I'll probably be able to check that out. Anyone know of any brewpubs/taprooms/etc. where I an get good beer, and a growler that is nearby, or easy to get to via one of those underground train dohickeys?
      Your best bets are probably either Brooklyn Brewery (In Brooklyn), or Heartland Brewery (Manhattan).

http://brooklynbrewery.com/verify

http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/locations/

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        Your best bets are probably either Brooklyn Brewery (In Brooklyn), or Heartland Brewery (Manhattan).

http://brooklynbrewery.com/verify

http://www.heartlandbrewery.com/locations/
        I have been scouring google, and Heartland is one that I found there, that looks like it has pretty good reviews. It looks like I can take a train to pretty close to there, though, that is completely new to me, so who knows how I'm going to be able to deal with that. I also looked up where Brooklyn Brewery is on the map and found the closest train station, it looks like there is like a 6-8 block walk to the brewery. Is it safe to walk to in these neighborhoods? I don't know anything about the areas where these 2 breweries are....should I be getting a cab, so I'm dropped off right at the front door?
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I have been scouring google, and Heartland is one that I found there, that looks like it has pretty good reviews. It looks like I can take a train to pretty close to there, though, that is completely new to me, so who knows how I'm going to be able to deal with that. I also looked up where Brooklyn Brewery is on the map and found the closest train station, it looks like there is like a 6-8 block walk to the brewery. Is it safe to walk to in these neighborhoods? I don't know anything about the areas where these 2 breweries are....should I be getting a cab, so I'm dropped off right at the front door?
          jmh is probably your best bet for that info. I haven't been to either brewery when I was in school up there, so I can't really give you info. I would guess most of Heartland's locations are in good areas, but I'm not too familiar with Brooklyn. As for the subway, it's pretty easy to figure out as long as you can read a map. There is also the HopStop app for your phone which will give you exact information on how to get there via mass transit.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            jmh is probably your best bet for that info. I haven't been to either brewery when I was in school up there, so I can't really give you info. I would guess most of Heartland's locations are in good areas, but I'm not too familiar with Brooklyn. As for the subway, it's pretty easy to figure out as long as you can read a map. There is also the HopStop app for your phone which will give you exact information on how to get there via mass transit.
            Understood. I'll wait for jmh to comment, if he's able. jmh, if you want to meet up for a beer, like we were originally kinda planning, I'd be up for it, probably Wednesday evening. Let me know.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Also, in completely different news, apparently Delta isn't going to be flying nonstop to St. Kitts after December 2014....so we will probably have to do the honeymoon in November or December so I can still use my Delta miles. Or find a new destination...which we don't want to do, we've kinda set on St. Kitts.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I can give you a couple of ideas but most are in Manhattan not near Laguardia

The Gingerman is in midtown near the Empire State Building has over 50 taps and craploads of bottles http://www.gingerman-ny.com/ cons are I can rarely find a seat and a limited food menu.

Rattle N Hum is in the same area a little closer to MSG primarily deals with US craft beers, a lot of taps and they usually will feature one or two craft breweries and have all of their beers on tap or bottle that week. http://www.rattlenhumbarnyc.com/ similar to the one above in food choices.

Never been there but The Blind Tiger in the village is supposed to be another top notch craft beer bar http://www.blindtigeralehouse.com/
                Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Understood. I'll wait for jmh to comment, if he's able. jmh, if you want to meet up for a beer, like we were originally kinda planning, I'd be up for it, probably Wednesday evening. Let me know.
                  I might be up for that, but need to check with permission from the boss (i.e. the wife). (By which I mean, I should invite her or she'll be upset that I left her out of the planning.)

Heartland Brewery is a better bet if you want a brewpub, they have a variety of their own stuff on tap and serve decent but kinda overpriced (even a bit by NYC standards) food. The vibe is more restaurant than bar or brewery. You're certainly safe taking the train to any of their locations. It takes a little while but it's less aggravating than driving and parking in Manhattan.

Brooklyn Brewery is more fun if you ask me, but their tasting room is only open on weekends.

Let me brainstorm a bit and I'll get back to you tomorrow to see if anything else comes to mind.

Edit to add: All of Probert's suggestions are great places for beer. They all do tend to be crowded; Ginger Man and Rattle and Hum are both pretty close to commuter train stations and will thin out appreciably after happy hour.
                  Last edited by jmh; 02-24-2014, 06:41 PM.
                  Cornell University Men's Hockey
                  NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                  Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

bb, your hotel is not really on the subway line, but... if you can get into Manhattan,( you can catch the bus to the subway right out the back door) like maybe on the 7 or the N:
                    my favorite place for this type of stuff is Fatcat's pool hall.
                    it's right on the one train, so you have to change at time sq.. you can google it. Great beer cheap, pool, also cheap , and live jazz.It's near NYU and the village..
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to figure out what I want to do now. jmh, let me know if you want to do something. I may not check the boards again today so shoot me a Facebook message or a text if you have my number.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        bb, your hotel is not really on the subway line, but... if you can get into Manhattan,( you can catch the bus to the subway right out the back door) like maybe on the 7 or the N:
                        my favorite place for this type of stuff is Fatcat's pool hall.
                        it's right on the one train, so you have to change at time sq.. you can google it. Great beer cheap, pool, also cheap , and live jazz.It's near NYU and the village..
                        Actually he is pretty close to the 7 train; I assumed he wouldn't when he said he was near LGA but his hotel is really more like right by Citi Field down along Roosevelt Avenue.
                        Cornell University Men's Hockey
                        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                          Actually he is pretty close to the 7 train; I assumed he wouldn't when he said he was near LGA but his hotel is really more like right by Citi Field down along Roosevelt Avenue.
                          Yeah, the 7 train is only a few blocks away, an easy walk.

Really tired tonight, got a bit of work done, and I was up too **** early. Got a good italian dinner though, a treat from one of my contacts at our distributor here that thought I needed to experience authentic New York City Italian food. It was really tasty.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Yeah, the 7 train is only a few blocks away, an easy walk.

Really tired tonight, got a bit of work done, and I was up too **** early. Got a good italian dinner though, a treat from one of my contacts at our distributor here that thought I needed to experience authentic New York City Italian food. It was really tasty.
                            I'm at hotels out that way quite a lot and one thing you can do that is not too far is go into Jackson Heights on the bus and get some good Peruvian or Columbian food. It's about 6 stops on the q 33.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              I'm at hotels out that way quite a lot and one thing you can do that is not too far is go into Jackson Heights on the bus and get some good Peruvian or Columbian food. It's about 6 stops on the q 33.
                              I was only here for 2 days, so I didn't have time to get out too much. Both dinners I had were with guys from the local distributors, so they picked the places, which were very good, and very Italian.

I did get to take the 7 train into Manhattan. Checked out Times Square, saw the Empire State Building, and Grand Central Station. Met up with jmh for some beers at a pretty cool little beer bar, Rattle and Hum. It was a good trip, even if it was very short.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I was only here for 2 days, so I didn't have time to get out too much. Both dinners I had were with guys from the local distributors, so they picked the places, which were very good, and very Italian.

I did get to take the 7 train into Manhattan. Checked out Times Square, saw the Empire State Building, and Grand Central Station. Met up with jmh for some beers at a pretty cool little beer bar, Rattle and Hum. It was a good trip, even if it was very short.
                                Grand Central is impressive every time I go there. Totally beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                                X