X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Did any of them do a fishing charter have like who they went with? I'm working on that right now and everyone that I know has gone through the resort, has no idea who the charter was and very mixed reviews.
    Not that I know of, but I can ask.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Something of a follow-up to my last question: my wife would like to apply for a new passport since she changed her name after we got married last summer (and also I think because her current passport is close to expiring). The State Department says that, in this situation, she should mail in her current passport along with the appropriate form and they will replace it. However, she is hesitant to put her passport in the mail. Does anyone know if this must be done by mail, or whether she could instead go to an acceptance facility in person?
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
        Something of a follow-up to my last question: my wife would like to apply for a new passport since she changed her name after we got married last summer (and also I think because her current passport is close to expiring). The State Department says that, in this situation, she should mail in her current passport along with the appropriate form and they will replace it. However, she is hesitant to put her passport in the mail. Does anyone know if this must be done by mail, or whether she could instead go to an acceptance facility in person?
        I don't know if it must be done by mail but my wife did it that way when she changed her name and everything went fine...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

When my wife did the same thing it went fine. She was similarly nervous. You could presumably bring it down to the Tip O'Neill passport office, but they'll probably just mail it to the processing center in South Carolina.
          Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Mailed my renewal forms and old book in last week (Saturday). I dropped the envelope off at the Post Office in effort to avoid some of the handling involved (plus I needed to buy postage... $0.77-worth). Observed that the included check was cashed already this week, so I must assume that everything arrived at the processing center without incident. I believe that the new book and old (expired) book will be sent separately, but the old one will be returned according to all info that I read.

I do believe that you must send the old one back, or fill-out a form claiming that the original was lost or stolen. I believe that if you claim that the old one was was lost or stolen, additional information must be sent (such as an original birth certificate) to "start the whole process all over again from scratch". She may have to send-in the Marriage License as well (copy or original... not sure).

Cheers,
            ~TTF
            Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 02-18-2014, 04:19 PM.
            Dave
            RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
              Mailed my renewal forms and old book in last week (Saturday). I dropped the envelope off at the Post Office in effort to avoid some of the handling involved (plus I needed to buy postage... $0.77-worth). Observed that the included check was cashed already this week, so I must assume that everything arrived at the processing center without incident. I believe that the new book and old (expired) book will be sent separately, but the old one will be returned according to all info that I read.

I do believe that you must send the old one back, or fill-out a form claiming that the original was lost or stolen. I believe that if you claim that the old one was was lost or stolen, additional information must be sent (such as an original birth certificate) to "start the whole process all over again from scratch". She may have to send-in the Marriage License as well (copy or original... not sure).

Cheers,
              ~TTF
              A fried of mine just got her first passport about a month ago. She was shocked to get it in the mail about three weeks after submitting it because the promised timeline is around the six-week mark. Either demand for passports is low or they've advanced their tech in that office to help speed things along for us.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Since my friends can't do our Civil War trip this spring I booked a week in San Antonio. Does anybody have any interesting stuff to do in San Antonio besides the obvious (Alamo). I'm going to do the Alamo and a couple of the other missions one day and do a day trip to the LBJ Ranch and Nimitz Museum on another but still looking for stuff to do the other 2 days. Also any good breweries or brew pubs to hit in town.
                Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  A fried of mine just got her first passport about a month ago. She was shocked to get it in the mail about three weeks after submitting it because the promised timeline is around the six-week mark. Either demand for passports is low or they've advanced their tech in that office to help speed things along for us.
                  It's not as bad as around 2008 when they changed the rules for going to Canada or Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    It's not as bad as around 2008 when they changed the rules for going to Canada or Mexico.
                    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    I think it is what FlagDUDE said, its just the lack of the glut from around 2008 when they changed the rules and a large group of people needed passports in a short period of time. I haven't had a problem since.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
                      Since my friends can't do our Civil War trip this spring I booked a week in San Antonio. Does anybody have any interesting stuff to do in San Antonio besides the obvious (Alamo). I'm going to do the Alamo and a couple of the other missions one day and do a day trip to the LBJ Ranch and Nimitz Museum on another but still looking for stuff to do the other 2 days. Also any good breweries or brew pubs to hit in town.
                      We went to Austin last year, but did several day-trips around the area, just like you're planning. Based on our experience I'd say no, there isn't anything else to do in San Antonio. We enjoyed it a lot, but it was one nice afternoon. We did The Alamo, the RiverWalk boat cruise (a very nice way to spend an hour), one mission (Mission San Jose, just south of downtown; very beautiful; the missions are definitely worth it). Brewpub-wise I can't help you. But -- and you probably know this -- use chowhound. They've always led us to great places, including this trip, where we found a really nice Mexican lunch outside of the RiverWalk/convention circuit.

And I'm glad you're going to the National Museum of the Pacific War and the LBJ Ranch. Amazing places. You could spend three days at the Pacific War museum. Plus afterwards you can stroll over to Main Street there in Fredericksburg and get a nice German meal.

I'd consider two other day-trips:

1) AUSTIN
                      State Capitol Building and Grounds -- beautiful grounds, awesome building, tours are self-guided or guided (free)
                      Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center -- if you're a nature guy it's a cool place to walk around
                      Driscoll Hotel / Downtown Area -- nice area to walk around, you get a good feel for what Austin's like. Bikers, techies, politicians, etc. And The Driscoll is a fantastic old hotel to see inside of.
                      Congress Ave Bats -- Somehow we missed the big bat migration. Maybe you'll be luckier.
                      South Congress neighborhood -- If you want that mellow Austin vibe you have to pretend you're Matthew McConna-whatever and just stroll around for a while. That normally wouldn't be my choice of how to spend an afternoon or an evening, but after a little time in Austin you see how it could work. Stroll around, check out the scene, stop somewhere for a Mexican martini. Could be worse. We liked it.
                      Allens Boots -- If you've ever wanted a pair of boots, they really know what they're doing here. Very helpful and patient, not pretentious. More like they're aficionados who are glad you're interested in what they're interested in.

2) EAST OF SAN ANTONIO
                      LULING -- about 60 miles east. Home of the famous City Market. Always on the list of Texas' best bbq. There's a weird system where you order your meat in the back where the smokehouse is, pick up your condiments there (pickles, onions, white bread), then back in the dining room there's a counter where you order drinks and sides (potato salad, beans). Crazy.
                      GONZALES -- About 10 miles further east. Site of the first battle of the Texas Revolution. Beautiful historic courthouse. Their food market is supposed to have good bbq also.
                      SHINER -- another 20 miles east. Home of the Spoetzl Brewery. Used to have free tours at 11:30, M-F.

And generally, look out for barbecue, and kolaches. With the huge German and Czech immigrant populations in Central TX you find really good kolaches, and, alongside the famous bbq'd brisket, you see amazing smoked sausages. If you like pastries and/or sausages, stop if you see a sign. Even a little gas station might have fantastic kolaches.

Have a good trip.
                      Last edited by DaveStPaul; 02-21-2014, 09:03 AM.
                      Bugs Bunny - 96
                      Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

My trip to New York City, which has been rescheduled 4-5 times now, is finally going to happen, I think. Last week they had me book a trip, for the 3rd time. This time they said be there Friday, Feb. 28th. So I booked Thursday afternoon, through Saturday morning. Get into work today, and "change of plans, get here ASAP, this afternoon if possible" Uhhh, no. We settled on me flying out tomorrow. So I'll be in New York tomorrow through Thursday morning. Also, this is the 3 different New York airport they've had me book flights into. The first 2 times they had me books something (and then later cancel), it was JFK. Then they said I should fly into Newark, and I had my flight for this Thursday-Saturday booked for there. Now they're telling me to fly into La Guardia, so that is where I'm booked now. I really have no ****ing clue, I'm just going where they're saying they'll pick me up.

So, tomorrow night and Wednesday night I'll be in New York. Staying at a Holiday Inn right near La Guardia. Fun times.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          My trip to New York City, which has been rescheduled 4-5 times now, is finally going to happen, I think. Last week they had me book a trip, for the 3rd time. This time they said be there Friday, Feb. 28th. So I booked Thursday afternoon, through Saturday morning. Get into work today, and "change of plans, get here ASAP, this afternoon if possible" Uhhh, no. We settled on me flying out tomorrow. So I'll be in New York tomorrow through Thursday morning. Also, this is the 3 different New York airport they've had me book flights into. The first 2 times they had me books something (and then later cancel), it was JFK. Then they said I should fly into Newark, and I had my flight for this Thursday-Saturday booked for there. Now they're telling me to fly into La Guardia, so that is where I'm booked now. I really have no ****ing clue, I'm just going where they're saying they'll pick me up.

So, tomorrow night and Wednesday night I'll be in New York. Staying at a Holiday Inn right near La Guardia. Fun times.
                          How much do you wanna bet that you get a call at 8pm tonight telling you that things are off
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

That sucks that they jerked you around like that.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Tortas Neza. 3 blocks from that hotel. You're freaking welcome.
                              Bugs Bunny - 96
                              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

That sucks that they jerked you around like that.
                                Yeah, this is par for the course with this customer it seems, and they buy a **** ton from us, so when they say jump we listen. This is the same customer that had me book a ticket on a Friday, to be in Scotland on Monday. Also, if I'm reading the writing on the wall correctly, we're not too far off from them asking me to fly to South Africa on little to no notice.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X