X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Im all over the place, anyone got any input on the Florida Keys in April?

Been there a bunch. What do you want to know?

I like many parts of Florida... I LOVE the Keys.

Got engaged in Key West.

Comment

Im all over the place, anyone got any input on the Florida Keys in April?
      They're many miles south of the Frozen Four and have much less college hockey.
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Been there a bunch. What do you want to know?

I like many parts of Florida... I LOVE the Keys.

Got engaged in Key West.
        Well, the wife and I want to go down there for our anniversary. Looks like we'll be flying into Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Renting a car and driving down to the Keys somewhere. Trying to figure out where.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Well, the wife and I want to go down there for our anniversary. Looks like we'll be flying into Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Renting a car and driving down to the Keys somewhere. Trying to figure out where.
          The Keys are nothing like the rest of Florida. They're really much closer to being in the Caribbean. Most people would call the attitude and pace as "laid back." I don't disagree. It's chill. It's comfortable. It's unhurried.

To me, the Keys don't really start till Islamorada or so. Key Largo is in a lot of ways a suburb of Miami. Close enough so that they can "live in the Keys." Not that there isn't stuff to do there - just never really liked Key Largo.

As to where? We never stayed anywhere, including Key West, for more than a couple of days at a time. Each time we've gone, we stay a couple of days here and then move 30 miles or so down the road and spend a couple of days there.

Lots of great food and drink along the way...

Islamorada:

Islamorada has Holiday Isle, which is a resort. You can dive & snorkel from there, lounge in the pool, there's often live entertainment - outside in the sand, there are several shops, a small beach with water sports and the Tiki Bar.

Downside of Holiday Isle is that it feels like a resort, but we always like to spend a couple of days before we move on to more rustic or quiet locations.

Even if you don't stay here, stop at the Tiki Bar for a rum runner... get a floater with it. They have them in the big slurpee machines and are great. It's the recipe I use at home and have been for 20 years.

You can also go charter fishing - in fact, I believe they say that Islamorada is the "sport fishing capital of the world." You can hook up with a deep sea charter or you can go out and fish the flats amongst the keys.

Bahia Honda State Park:

One thing about the keys is that there are almost no beaches at all (outside of Key West) - due to geological reasons. It's nothing like the rest of the state in that regards.

Bahia Honda is the exception. They have nice white sand and it's typically not very busy (like Key West beaches can be). If you want to hit the beach, this will be one of your best chances. We always stop there.

Both my wife and I liken it to Bete Grise Beach in the Keweenaw - both for sand and serenity, at least relatively speaking.

Key West:

Lots to do here but also lots of tourist traps.

If you like great seafood, skip the main drag for the most part and the Margaritavilles and go to the marina where places like Turtle Crawls and Half Shell Raw Bar are. Ask the locals. The commercial places on Duval can be a fun atmosphere, but go there after you've eaten at the slightly off the trail places.

Of course Mallory Square for sunset is a must. Lots of street performers and an almost carnival atmosphere.

The shopping on Duval can be good although more and more commercial and touristy type stores have crept in over the years.

We've also stayed on Big Pine and Marathon.

I'll add more as I think of it.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            The Keys are nothing like the rest of Florida. They're really much closer to being in the Caribbean. Most people would call the attitude Even if you don't stay here, stop at the Tiki Bar for a rum runner... get a floater with it. They have them in the big slurpee machines and are great. It's the recipe I use at home and have been for 20 years.
            This is a tangent, but what's your recipe? I'm always on the lookout for a good rum drink.
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
              This is a tangent, but what's your recipe? I'm always on the lookout for a good rum drink.
              Well, it's the Tiki Bar's Recipe, but I've tried others all over the Caribbean & Florida and never had one I like as much.

This is not a rum and fruit juice cocktail. This will give you that heavy feel in your legs.

1 oz. of Overproof Rum/151 (MUST be 151 - I've tried regular rum and it doesn't taste right)
              1 oz. of Banana Liquor
              1 oz. of Blackberry Brandy
              1.5 oz. of lime juice
              .5 oz. of grenadine

Add ice and serve frozen - this is not very good on the rocks and the ice helps keep you hydrated and upright.

Add 1 oz. floater of overproof rum.

Repeat

Another of a similar note is a Purple Meanie.

Same as above except switch the Banana Liquor and Blackberry Brandy with Coconut Rum and Blue Curaco. Also go slightly less with the lime juice - maybe .75 oz.

Last Edit:

Here's a link that I go to for some more drinks.

http://www.islands.com/island-drink-...src=SOC&dom=fb

These are a little lighter but often require ingredients that I don't typically stock. Guava Nectar? Fresh out.

I have stocked up on many tho as I love Island style drinks. Make me feel like I'm almost there... at least in state of mind.
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Do you use Rose's (or something similar) or fresh lime juice?

Comment

Do you use Rose's (or something similar) or fresh lime juice?

Rose's

Sometimes, fresh can skew the expected taste. In addition, I'm often making these for several people at a time.

Personal preference should of course rule the day.

Comment

Ooh! Got one more that I just had in Florida on Saturday night. Made the bartender give me the recipe.

Dirty Banana

1 oz. Kahlua
                    1 oz. Bailey's
                    1 oz. Spiced Rum
                    1 oz. Banana Liquor

Serve frozen. Tasted like a shake, only better.

Comment

You can fly to Key West if you want to.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Question for those who've done more international travel than I have. I mentioned that I'm taking a long trip to Greece later this year, and I'd kind of like to not be entirely out of touch for a week and a half. What's the best way to have voice (and maybe even data) connectivity on my phone (iPhone 4S if it matters) while abroad, without it costing an arm and a leg?

Edit to add: my carrier is AT&T, if that also makes a difference.
                        Last edited by jmh; 02-02-2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Question for those who've done more international travel than I have. I mentioned that I'm taking a long trip to Greece later this year, and I'd kind of like to not be entirely out of touch for a week and a half. What's the best way to have voice (and maybe even data) connectivity on my phone (iPhone 4S if it matters) while abroad, without it costing an arm and a leg?

Edit to add: my carrier is AT&T, if that also makes a difference.
                          several related issues there.
                          1. if you can find places with wi fi it really helps limit the minutes and data use. My first question to establishments is "do you have wi fi". sometimes it is crummy but it's free.
                          second I've tried at times to buy a go phone in the country I go to, and it is cheaper, if you use all the minutes and data you buy, which I have never been able to do.
                          third, I have bought the package of data, minutes etc from at and t. it does work and it is not free, but I've never gone over and it gives me peace of mind.

also if you can, monitor your usage once you get there.

I have been able to use maps / gps on my phone no problem and get directions etc. that's the biggest thing that sucks up data.. I always do e mail and web stuff when I get back to the room if I can, where I have wi fi. (or at a Taverna.) You can also turn off the roaming. My GF does that but I don't. There is good cell coverage all over Greece.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So we moved our travel from around our anniversary to the end of february to get the hell away from this brutal winter. After looking over some award travel locations again, I found we could fly for minimum miles direct to and from Punta Cana, Domincan Republic and we found a pretty good deal on a resort. Anyone been to that area? Anyone done any deep sea fishing? We're looking to find a charter.

Thanks
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Has anyone here been to Ecuador? I am looking for tips on Guayaquil and Salinas. It looks like I'll be going there for work for a week and I've looked online at reviews and such, but I'm wondering if anyone has firsthand experience. Also, has anyone flown TAME airlines? They have a flight from JFK to Guayaquil that I'm considering. Thanks for any suggestions!

Shirtless Guy, I've heard many good things about Punta Cana, and know several friends that have honeymooned there. I think you'll enjoy it. The nonstop from MSP is a nice perk.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                Has anyone here been to Ecuador? I am looking for tips on Guayaquil and Salinas. It looks like I'll be going there for work for a week and I've looked online at reviews and such, but I'm wondering if anyone has firsthand experience. Also, has anyone flown TAME airlines? They have a flight from JFK to Guayaquil that I'm considering. Thanks for any suggestions!

Shirtless Guy, I've heard many good things about Punta Cana, and know several friends that have honeymooned there. I think you'll enjoy it. The nonstop from MSP is a nice perk.
                                Did any of them do a fishing charter have like who they went with? I'm working on that right now and everyone that I know has gone through the resort, has no idea who the charter was and very mixed reviews.

Comment

Working...
                                X