X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Enjoy dealing with the Super Bowl crowd.

And don't get shot in Williston.
    It wouldn't be the first time I've flown into a Super Bowl host city on Super Bowl weekend for work.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      It wouldn't be the first time I've flown into a Super Bowl host city on Super Bowl weekend for work.
      FWIW, I would imagine that New York would probably be a little bit better equipped than most other cities to handle such a crowd. Or at the very least, my guess is that it would be the least variance from the norm.

Either way, enjoy the trip!
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        FWIW, I would imagine that New York would probably be a little bit better equipped than most other cities to handle such a crowd. Or at the very least, my guess is that it would be the least variance from the norm.

Either way, enjoy the trip!
        Honestly, I don't think they will even notice.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Hey guys, my wife and I have been looking to go somewhere over easter weekend for our anniversary. Any ideas on a good place to go that we can get to directly from MSP or near direct? We've been looking at Las Vegas, San Diego or somewhere further south in Mexico, Caribbean. Very difficult with us wanting it to be relatively short (Thursday-Sunday or Monday) and not crazy expensive with a destination wedding in October and bigblue's wedding in July plus his bachelor party which was allegedly going to be in Nashville.

We'd definitely like to go someplace warm. I was looking at Ixtapa; South Padre Islands, TX; Cancun. Fort Myers, FL is an option...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Hey guys, my wife and I have been looking to go somewhere over easter weekend for our anniversary. Any ideas on a good place to go that we can get to directly from MSP or near direct? We've been looking at Las Vegas, San Diego or somewhere further south in Mexico, Caribbean. Very difficult with us wanting it to be relatively short (Thursday-Sunday or Monday) and not crazy expensive with a destination wedding in October and bigblue's wedding in July plus his bachelor party which was allegedly going to be in Nashville.

We'd definitely like to go someplace warm. I was looking at Ixtapa; South Padre Islands, TX; Cancun. Fort Myers, FL is an option...
            Any of those places will be warm, although Las Vegas probably not to the extent of some of the others.

As someone who has flown to and from Las Vegas, out of Minneapolis, many times, I suggest you really experiment with different flight days and times. Obviously the redeye which leaves Las Vegas usually between midnight and 1, and gets you into Minneapolis at about 6 a.m. is a good cheap option, but ruins any work that day.

It's also been my experience that a trip in which you fly back from Las Vegas on a Tuesday is usually the cheapest, followed by Monday return flights, with Sunday the most expensive (and biggest pain at the LV airport).

It really depends on what you want to do. If I was just going to catch some rays and lay by the pool, I'd go to Cancun or Florida or somewhere a little warmer. If I were looking for dining, nightlife and entertainment options, I'd go to Las Vegas.

We've also Pricelined some really cheap, nice rooms in Las Vegas. If you can do a $55-70/night over the weekend in Las Vegas for a nice room, you're doing good. If you are there for a Thursday or a Monday night, you'll reduce your per night charge pretty nicely. Go to the Priceline forum to see what rooms are coming up for different areas of the Strip. http://www.betterbidding.com/
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I've made a few short trips to Fort Myers to go to the annual holiday tournament Cornell plays in there. As a city it's not much to see, but it's pleasant enough. The weather is nice. Tons of golf courses if you're into that. Do I recall correctly that you and your wife enjoy fishing? I have to imagine you could do that there too.
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                I've made a few short trips to Fort Myers to go to the annual holiday tournament Cornell plays in there. As a city it's not much to see, but it's pleasant enough. The weather is nice. Tons of golf courses if you're into that. Do I recall correctly that you and your wife enjoy fishing? I have to imagine you could do that there too.
                With the length of this trip, I'm not sure she'd want to go fishing. I know we plan on doing some fishing when we got to Puerto Vallarta in October.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

We've seen some really good deals through Groupon Getaways on trips to Costa Rica. Its probably worth a look.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    We've seen some really good deals through Groupon Getaways on trips to Costa Rica. Its probably worth a look.
                    We're actuallylooking at a groupon getaway to bahamas

Comment

Agreed. If you take the time to pick through groupon, there are some good deals to be had. That said, some deals aren't nearly as much of a savings as the groupon ad makes it sound like.
                      Originally posted by Priceless
                      Good to see you're so reasonable.
                      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                      Very well, said.
                      Originally posted by Rover
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Anyone been to Ixtapa Mexico?

Comment

Sorta, a loooong time ago. I went to a Club Med there but it wasn't like I was in the City/town just at the all inclusive result. Sorry, no real help.

Comment

A buddy and his wife went for their honeymoon a few years ago. They really liked it. That's about all I got.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Im all over the place, anyone got any input on the Florida Keys in April?

Comment

Im all over the place, anyone got any input on the Florida Keys in April?
                                Hot and humid.

I can't give you more than that. I was there for birdwatching, and the keys were basically a transit route to the Dry Tortugas.
                                Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Working...
                                X