This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

The bonus with Hawaii is that its cheap to visit other islands. So you could hit Maui as well. Each island is different in landscape and things to do.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I think it depends on the specific destination. My fiance has AAA, and she has found some places that had AAA discounts, but I don't remember which ones they were.
      I'm going next week, so if you like, I'll give you the latest scoop.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

dont forget Barbados. beautiful, warm water and warm breezes. English speaking, money 2:1 tie to the dollar. low crime. driving on the left is fun. very friendly people, great food. lots to see and do. and the rum is beyond divine. if you've only had Bacardi ... you are in for a treat. I dont even like rum and I drink it straight down there. and the rum punch is international winner beats St Kitts. bigtime.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
          dont forget Barbados. beautiful, warm water and warm breezes. English speaking, money 2:1 tie to the dollar. low crime. driving on the left is fun. very friendly people, great food. lots to see and do. and the rum is beyond divine. if you've only had Bacardi ... you are in for a treat. I dont even like rum and I drink it straight down there. and the rum punch is international winner beats St Kitts. bigtime.
          FTR, g9d dark rum is awesome to drink on the rocks.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            4. Costa Rica - I think this is the dark-horse. We have seen some pretty amazing pictures, and the resorts look gorgeous. We have also found some pretty reasonably priced options, which is a big plus. The worry we have is that it is on the Pacific Ocean side of the Isthmus, and we're worried that the water will be a bit colder than we'd find in the Caribbean. Also, I am not sure about the safety of Costa Rica, if we wander away from the resorts, so that is something we would have to dig into.
            We honeymooned in Costa Rica and loved it. We didn't exactly go on a budget, though - probably $6K total for 10 days (including airfare). We stayed at a resort on the Pacific for a week, then 3 days at Arenal, with one night in San Jose on each end. We had a tourist van service take us between the three major sites, and then relied on the resort/hotel shuttles to get to our day excursions (ziplining, crocodile tour, boat ride to islands with sand beaches, hot spring spas, etc). The resort we stayed at on the Pac was on cliffs way above the ocean, and they didn't really have a swim beach. The water at the islands we visited was deliciously warm (in September, not sure how much it changes). We always felt completely safe, but we never really stepped out on our own.

Funny story: with the wedding busy-ness and having everything planned in advance, we didn't do a ton of research about the mundane details of life in Costa Rica. We had no idea what the local currency was, so the first night in the hotel restaurant, I glanced at the menu, which also had prices in dollars, and worked out the exchange rate as about 1.3. Therefore, I took 1000 ($1300) out of the ATM to pay for the car service, tips, incidentals, etc. The car service picked us up, and on the way to the Pac hotel (4 hrs), we stopped at a convenience store for snacks and drinks. The cashier rang it up as 2000 colones. Needless to say, the shock registered on my face, and the cashier helpfully said, "but sir, that's only about $4." Turns out that the hotel menu had given prices only in dollars and euros, not the local currency. So we had optimistically headed off for 10 days at the resorts with $2 in our pockets - still amazes me that the ATM would bother to dispense such a paltry amount! Fortunately, the store also took dollars (which I had) and the resort had an ATM, so no harm done...
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              FTR, g9d dark rum is awesome to drink on the rocks.
              almost all the rum is shades of golden to dark dark rum. sugar grown processed and aged on the island. there is this place St Nicholas Abbey
              where they show a movie on 1920's sugar making, all the while giving you samples. then they send you home with bottle. dont ever drive there. left lane drunk driving is impossible. oh, but was the rum good!
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I'm leaving for Costa Rica on saturday. I'm really looking forward to some Marlin fishing besides the other stuff,, but if I were doing it BB, I'd go to Kaanapali Beach on Maui and be done with it.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Delta doesn't fly to Barbados, so that is out. I need to be able to use miles for airfare, to cut down on some costs.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Kauai, the garden island. Beautiful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                      Kauai, the garden island. Beautiful.
                      My fiancé's sister lives in Kauai. Looking forward to a road trip.
                      Originally posted by mookie1995
                      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Now looking at Belize as a possible next tropical vaca.

English speaking, rainforest, beaches, huge barrier reef...

Anyone been?

Comment

Milan is booked. Going to Montenegro.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Milan is booked. Going to Montenegro.

There's nothing available in Montenegro.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Now looking at Belize as a possible next tropical vaca.

English speaking, rainforest, beaches, huge barrier reef...

Anyone been?
                              I haven't, but I watched the Bourdain episode when he went there and it looked good.

Trip with the in-laws to my brother-in-law's wedding in Greece is booked, or at least the rough sketches of it. It'll be a bunch of us traveling together: me, my wife, her mother and grandmother (86 years old), and my sister-in-law with her husband and their two kids (ages 7 and 5). Flying out overnight (through Zurich) on May 15th, coming back on the 26th. A few questions:

1) Anyone ever fly on Swiss International Airlines? Good/bad feedback?
                              2) Thoughts on best things to do in Athens for a couple of days, bearing in mind the large age range we're working with?
                              3) How should we plan on getting around? Is it feasible to use public transit as non-Greek speakers? Just plan to take a taxi everywhere?
                              4) At the tail end of the trip, we're planning to spend a few days in the islands. My wife and I were originally planning on a side trip just the two of us, and had been figuring on Santorini. but now it seems like the trip to the islands will be with the whole group. Bearing in mind again the large age range, do we need to scrap the Santorini plan (which is, in my sister-in-law's words, "all mountain with no guardrails") for a different island that's more kid- and senior-citizen-appropriate?
                              Cornell University Men's Hockey
                              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

1) I've flow on Swiss. Not thrilled.

I was flying on USAir from Philly to Zurich and Swiss from ZRH to Nairobi. My flight from Philly was delayed by weather and I missed my connection in Zurich. Swiss re-booked me from ZRH to Amsterdam and then to Nairobi. The new routing had me sitting on the ground in ZRH for 5 hours and AMS for another 4 hours. Yet they didn't get my bag to me on the new routing. They held on to it and sent it on their own flight the following day. Additionally, when I went to the airport in Nairobi to fly home, Swiss had cancelled my return flight from NBO to ZRH. They said that I was a no-show from my flight from ZRH to NBO and therefore they cancelled my reservation. I fought with them at the airport for nearly 3 hours before they gave me a seat. And they said that the only reason they didn't make me pay for it is because I had a connection on US Air that hadn't been cancelled.

They blamed it on security.

2) I liked Belize. Much of it was on a birding trip, so I won't count that, but I spent a few days on Ambergris Caye as well on my own. It's very laid back. You get around in golf carts - there are very few cars and only three main streets in town: Front St., Middle St., and Back St. If you're looking for an all-inclusive resort type place, you won't find it. But if you're OK with actually socializing with the locals and just hanging out, it's a great place.

There are Mayan sites to vist on the mainland and great diving if you're into that. And Belize is the only place I've actually seen a jaguar in the wild.

3) Santorini is spectacular. I've been to Mykonos, Naxos, and Santorini, and I liked Santorini best. It's beautiful, tourist friendly, has beaches as well as a town with great reastaurants and nightlife. There's also an archaeological site. It has public transport to get around the island if you like. Mykonos has a lot of tourist facilities, too, but it is VERY touristy - it is more tourist than Greek. It also has a lot of "hedonist tourism" and may not be family friendly.
                                Last edited by Hopkinja; 01-09-2014, 12:04 AM.
                                Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Working...
                                X