X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

We still haven't figured out the all-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive. There seem to be plenty of positives both ways.

One of the ideas we have with not going all-inclusive to go out and eat at places the locals eat. Those places can't be that expensive, right? Or am I completely off base there? I love trying new food from places I travel, and the best places to do that are in the local places, not the touristy restaurants.

Several of the resorts I have looked into advertise state-of-the-art water filtration and purification systems, I have to think that it would be safe to drink that without having to bring our own filter.
    I think by and large you can get a very reasonably priced meal at a "locals" restaurant. My experience has been that the further you are away from the tourist areas, the cheaper it will be. Alcohol is a slightly different experience for me, but I'm not a big drinker in any event.

The water purification systems at every major resort I've been to have been 100% safe.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Oh please let this happen... http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/230...Limit-to-75mph

Comment

Finally!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/10/...ets-on-planes/
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

A government agency showing some common sense? I... don't know what kind of world I'm living in all of a sudden.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Here's the FAA's press release on it.
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I guess I never saw this as any big deal. 10 minutes on either side of a flight where I can't use my laptop or whatever?

Meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                I guess I never saw this as any big deal. 10 minutes on either side of a flight where I can't use my laptop or whatever?

Meh.
                Longer than that for takeoff at most airports. Once the main cabin door closes, they request all PED's to be turned off and stowed. You get stuck behind a handful or more planes waiting to takeoff? Better keep those electronics stowed!!

New rule will allow most electronics to be used for 98% of the flight. Everywhere except the act of takeoff and landing, without altitude parameters, and in low visibility landings.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  Longer than that for takeoff at most airports. Once the main cabin door closes, they request all PED's to be turned off and stowed.
                  Wait, I can't use steroids on an airplane?
                  ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                    Wait, I can't use steroids on an airplane?
                    Only if Bud Selig is your Captain.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Going to Ann Arbor in a couple weeks with my stepdad. In terms of food, we plan on visiting Tio's Mexican Cafe, Maize and Blue Deli, Arbor Brewing, and Zingerman's Deli. Other than the University of Michigan campus, what are some other places worth checking out while I'm down there?
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                        Longer than that for takeoff at most airports. Once the main cabin door closes, they request all PED's to be turned off and stowed. You get stuck behind a handful or more planes waiting to takeoff? Better keep those electronics stowed!!

New rule will allow most electronics to be used for 98% of the flight. Everywhere except the act of takeoff and landing, without altitude parameters, and in low visibility landings.
                        Don't forget being stuck on the runway for three hours. Oh, the horror!

Of course, with people being raped (literally) by the government prior to getting on, THIS is what they complain about?

Comment

Update on our Honeymoon search....

We have taken a bunch of suggestions from people we know, from people here, and other places and I think we've narrowed it down to 4 possible locations, with one clear front-runner.

We have pretty much decided that we don't want to go all-inclusive, due to costs, and not wanting to feel obligated to eat at certain places. Also, we definitely want to go to a destination that is safe enough to get out of the resort area and explore historical sites, natural areas, volcanos, secluded beaches, non-touristy villages etc. At the same time, we are a bit under a $$$ crunch, so we want to make sure it is affordable, part of which is making sure Delta flies there, so I can use my FF miles. Also, we have expanded our search from just to Caribbean to include Central America and Hawaii as well.

4. Costa Rica - I think this is the dark-horse. We have seen some pretty amazing pictures, and the resorts look gorgeous. We have also found some pretty reasonably priced options, which is a big plus. The worry we have is that it is on the Pacific Ocean side of the Isthmus, and we're worried that the water will be a bit colder than we'd find in the Caribbean. Also, I am not sure about the safety of Costa Rica, if we wander away from the resorts, so that is something we would have to dig into.

3. Big Island, Hawaii - Obviously Hawaii is gorgeous, and the weather will be great. I know we'd have a great time there. The drawback is, the places we looked at are bit more expensive than we want to pay, but other than that it has everything we're looking for. At this point, I am guessing that we'd end up doing Hawaii some point in the future, but not for the Honeymoon, but that is not for certain, as my fiance is more interested in Hawaii than I am.

2. St. John, USVI - I think this would be our definite #1 choice if we were OK with spending more money. The place is gorgeous and we love the fact that a huge chunk of the island is a national park. The proximity to other islands, with regular ferries is a big plus, because we both think it would be cool to go check out another island. The beaches look to be perfect, and it appears to be very safe, from everything that I have read. We'll have to see if we have the money to make this one work.

1. St. Kitts - This is a surprise #1 for us. It really wasn't on our radar as recently as a few weeks ago. I happened to randomly see some pictures of the island in my searching, and it was gorgeous, so we dug deeper. We found that it was much more reasonably priced than we expected, and that it has the combination of beaches, and rain forests/mountains that we are looking for. Everything we've found says that the locals are welcoming, friendly and that the island is quite safe. There is also its sister-island Nevis, close by that we can make a day-trip to explore, and there are Delta flights direct from Atlanta. We are a little nervous that it appears like there is a bit of a party atmosphere, and we were more interested in relaxing and quiet, but it looks like there are still places that have the relaxing quiet that we want. We don't know anyone that has ever been to St. Kitts, so we don't have any 1st hand recommendations. Has anyone on here ever been there? Suggestions? Watch-outs? Are we off-base with this potential destination?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I've heard good things about Costa Rica from friends and relatives who've been there. My impression is that it's pretty safe. Don't know any specifics though. I don't know much about the rest (beyond the obvious well-known stuff about Hawaii).

Comment

Update on our Honeymoon search....

Well, you already know my thoughts on St. John.

We're looking at St. Kitts for next winter ourselves. Don't have anything to add other than I am also intrigued by this as a destination.

As far as Hawaii goes, if you want to do it, look into becoming a AAA member. A brother in law is going there and claims that by joining AAA and getting their discounts, he's saving a couple thousand. For stuff like Pearl Harbor/Arizona tours as well as snorkeling/scuba and hotels.

Can't verify it myself, but worth looking into.

I wonder if AAA discounts carry over to the Caribbean?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                I wonder if AAA discounts carry over to the Caribbean?
                                I think it depends on the specific destination. My fiance has AAA, and she has found some places that had AAA discounts, but I don't remember which ones they were.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X