X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Making an impromptu trip to Cedar Point... We are coming in Tue. night and doing the park on Wed...
    How'd it go? You likely got a little rain; hope it was only an isolated shower...

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      How'd it go? You likely got a little rain; hope it was only an isolated shower...
      The trip out to Cedar Point was great... Very enjoyable experience... I will definitely be making a return trip at some point...

We had more than just an isolated shower... We spent about 3 hours in the rain/mist yesterday... Didn't effect anything on our end... In fact it seemed to send a decent amount of people home... Also got to ride Millenium Force, Gatekeeper, and Raptor in the rain... That was... different

Coasters were everything we expected and then some... There were several maintenance issues throughout the day with the coasters, and that would be the only negative of the trip... Maverick was down the entire day (and had been for a few days according to people we talked too)... Top Thrill Dragster would run for a few hours then go down for a bit... We were actually loaded on Dragster, sat in the train for about 10 minutes, then told to get back on the platform... We then stood around for 20 minutes while they fixed whatever was wrong... Kinda unnerving when you are the first train out after some downtime... I guess that scenario repeated itself several times throughout the day... Iron Dragon, Magnum XL, and Millennium Force all had noticeable down times throughout the day... At one point Top Thrill, Millennium, and Magnum were all down for about 25-30 minutes... With Maverick being gone all day, that's 4 of their top 6 attractions...

I guess there is another thing that was a downer... Cedar Point makes no qualms about requiring the use of lockers for any loose items on Gatekeeper... You are required to leave it with someone not riding or at lockers right across the way... They also require this on Millennium and Dragster, but those load/unload in two different places... It makes sense for those two rides... Not the case with Gatekeeper... That just strikes me as a pure moneygrab... They even have the boxes on the platform to leave stuff in... Six Flags Great America did that for one season... The backlash was horrendous and they spent the next season apologizing and going out of their way to make up for it... Especially when they want to push the $14 Souvenir Bottle with unlimited refills... They had someone at the line entrance strongly pushing anyone with a bottle or purse/bag to the lockers... You were not permitted to enter the line if you had any loose items... Lockers cost $2/hour... At $4/ride, it can add up over a day... It's just a blatant cash grab... I expect to get bent over for food and whatnot, but this is frustrating...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        The trip out to Cedar Point was great... Very enjoyable experience... I will definitely be making a return trip at some point...

We had more than just an isolated shower... We spent about 3 hours in the rain/mist yesterday... Didn't effect anything on our end... In fact it seemed to send a decent amount of people home... Also got to ride Millenium Force, Gatekeeper, and Raptor in the rain... That was... different
        3 hours? Ouch. By the time it got to us, it lasted about 20 minutes and that was it. BTW, we rarely get Lake Erie weather here; the North to South storm track that allowed us to share the same storm is pretty unusual. Obviously weather in North America usually flows West to East. Meaning that you're far more likely to send us weather from Chicago than you are from Cedar Point...

As for the benefit of the reduced crowd, I definitely understand. Once at a two day stay at Disneyland, the first day was a chilly drizzle, the second perfect weather. We actually had a better time on Day 1, given the short to non-existent lines. As long as the weather isn't bad enough to shut down rides, so-so weather can be a plus. Which leads us to:

Coasters were everything we expected and then some... There were several maintenance issues throughout the day with the coasters, and that would be the only negative of the trip... Maverick was down the entire day (and had been for a few days according to people we talked too)... Top Thrill Dragster would run for a few hours then go down for a bit... We were actually loaded on Dragster, sat in the train for about 10 minutes, then told to get back on the platform... We then stood around for 20 minutes while they fixed whatever was wrong... Kinda unnerving when you are the first train out after some downtime... I guess that scenario repeated itself several times throughout the day... Iron Dragon, Magnum XL, and Millennium Force all had noticeable down times throughout the day... At one point Top Thrill, Millennium, and Magnum were all down for about 25-30 minutes... With Maverick being gone all day, that's 4 of their top 6 attractions...
        Weather was likely a factor in at least some of these closures, even if it was only for precautionary inspections. Maverick sounds like another matter; probably a genuine maintenance matter there. Staff shortages might also be an issue. At this time of year Cedar Point loses lots of staff members as they go back to college, yet demand for the park is still there.

Be all that as it may, riding on the "first car out" on Top Thrill Dragster would definitely mess with your mind. That initial acceleration literally takes your breath away.

I guess there is another thing that was a downer... Cedar Point makes no qualms about requiring the use of lockers for any loose items on Gatekeeper... You are required to leave it with someone not riding or at lockers right across the way... They also require this on Millennium and Dragster, but those load/unload in two different places... It makes sense for those two rides... Not the case with Gatekeeper... That just strikes me as a pure moneygrab... They even have the boxes on the platform to leave stuff in... Six Flags Great America did that for one season... The backlash was horrendous and they spent the next season apologizing and going out of their way to make up for it... Especially when they want to push the $14 Souvenir Bottle with unlimited refills... They had someone at the line entrance strongly pushing anyone with a bottle or purse/bag to the lockers... You were not permitted to enter the line if you had any loose items... Lockers cost $2/hour... At $4/ride, it can add up over a day... It's just a blatant cash grab... I expect to get bent over for food and whatnot, but this is frustrating...
        Definitely a problem. Guess I better be more appreciative of my wife. Her refusal to go on any of the "top attractions" means the rest of us have someone to "watch the stuff."

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if it's possible to get an all day locker at Soak City. If not, that's a suggestion that should be made to management. While not an ideal solution, it certainly would be better than an additional $4 for every ride. And, to circle back to the beginning of our conversation, that's another selling point of staying at the original Breakers. Most of the stuff stays at the hotel room, retrieved only when specifically needed.

Glad you had a great time!

Comment

I want to point out one more thing about France. the French are big on manners. So when you go into a shop you are expected to make eye contact with the shopkeeper and say something like, " Bonjour". Likewise, when you leave you are also expected to say some sort of goodbye, in whatever language, even if you buy nothing. Wave to the clerk and say thanks in some way. I would say it's considered basic manners.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I want to point out one more thing about France. the French are big on manners. So when you go into a shop you are expected to make eye contact with the shopkeeper and say something like, " Bonjour". Likewise, when you leave you are also expected to say some sort of goodbye, in whatever language, even if you buy nothing. Wave to the clerk and say thanks in some way. I would say it's considered basic manners.
            It's sad that doesn't happen in America more often. The mom-and-pop stores, more often than not, and they are not faking it. The corporations? IF they do it, they are doing it because they are paid to do it. It's terrible.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              It's sad that doesn't happen in America more often. The mom-and-pop stores, more often than not, and they are not faking it.
              Plenty of independent shops in the States appreciate this same courtesy, even if the customer is not expected to play along. Personally, I've noticed it most in ski country, probably by nature of the artsy fartsy and antiquey shops that tend to crop up around resorts out west. You say 'hi' when you enter, and 'thank you' when you've finished looking, even if you've determined that you either don't want anything, or it's too **** expensive.

Comment

Any suggestions for a Caribbean honeymoon? We're still more than a year away from when we'd most likely go, so we have plenty of time to plan it out and consider our options. I'm looking for suggestions on both islands/cities and specific resorts that are recommended and ones to stay away from.

We're looking for something fairly quiet. Beaches, cocktails, great views, and good food are a must. A big party scene is not needed. Outdoor activities would be preferrable, and I would prefer somewhere that is ok to venture outside of confines of the resort to see more than just the touristy stuff.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Any suggestions for a Caribbean honeymoon? We're still more than a year away from when we'd most likely go, so we have plenty of time to plan it out and consider our options. I'm looking for suggestions on both islands/cities and specific resorts that are recommended and ones to stay away from.

We're looking for something fairly quiet. Beaches, cocktails, great views, and good food are a must. A big party scene is not needed. Outdoor activities would be preferrable, and I would prefer somewhere that is ok to venture outside of confines of the resort to see more than just the touristy stuff.
                  From what you've described, I've heard really good things about the Dominican Republic from some coworkers who've gone there. Just keep a good distance from the Haitian border as it's guarded heavily.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    From what you've described, I've heard really good things about the Dominican Republic from some coworkers who've gone there. Just keep a good distance from the Haitian border as it's guarded heavily.
                    That is definitely on our radar, but then, just about all of them are at this point...DR, Jamaica, Bahamas, St. Lucia, Antigua....
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

That is definitely on our radar, but then, just about all of them are at this point...DR, Jamaica, Bahamas, St. Lucia, Antigua....
                      Cayman

Comment

Do you dive?

My wife and I honeymooned on Grand Cayman (way back in '94), which was nice, although not terribly scenic. It's a very flat island. We chose it at the time for the diving, which is supposedly the best outside of the South Pacific. The diving was the best I've ever done and we still talk about some of the food we had.

Over Christmas, we went to St. Thomas which was certainly more scenic, but it's also fairly developed. We liked it a lot, but I'm not sure it's honeymoon worthy. St. John, on the other hand, was gorgeous. It's a short ferry ride over from St. Thomas and is far more quaint and rustic. Here's a pan I did of what one of the views looked like:

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/Plantation-Pan3_zps3f64af5b.jpg******

It was stunning.

The island to the right is the start of the British Virgin Islands which also have a lot to explore.

To be honest though, if it's me and a honeymoon, I'm looking at the Lesser Antilles. Haven't been down that far, but what I've seen of them on TV looks absolutely amazing.
                        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 09-06-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah, and when planning our USVI trip, we were considering the Dominican Republic.

This was one (not the only, but...) of the reasons that we struck it from the list...

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/...nican-republic

Last edited by Gurtholfin; 09-06-2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

We had a fantastic time on our honeymoon in St. Lucia back in June. We did not do a lot of outdoorsy stuff (ziplining, a cocoa plantation tour, a volcanic mudbath), but there was more there for those who wanted it (hiking, horseback riding, sea kayaking). Very safe and nonthreatening as Caribbean islands go (counterexample: you would probably not want to wander around Jamaica too much), the most threatened I felt was when the driver taking us from the airport to our hotel was going faster than I would have on twisty mountain roads. Beautiful scenery, good food (we mainly ate at the resorts where we stayed because we had booked all-inclusive rates, but heard other travelers saying good things about other restaurants they'd visited). The one caveat I have is that there aren't a whole lot of sandy beaches on the island, and those that there are are pretty small. Definitely recommend it overall though.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. Right now St. Lucia is at the top of our list, based on some research that we have done, but I'm a little concerned about the lack of beaches that jmh mentioned. We are definitely looking for somewhere with some great beaches, as I'm guessing there will be a couple days where we do nothing but sit on the beach and drink rum in the sun.

I hadn't really considered the Caymans yet...but I will have to take a look. The islands that Gurt mentioned are ones that I have looked into, and I am definitely interested in those as well.

Also, it needs to be somewhere that Delta flys into, as we're using my FF miles for this trip.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

We are definitely looking for somewhere with some great beaches, as I'm guessing there will be a couple days where we do nothing but sit on the beach and drink rum in the sun.

I hadn't really considered the Caymans yet...

You'll definitely want to check into what liquor on Grand Cayman costs. When we went in 94, we were quickly shocked to find that two rum drinks cost over $25.

Came to find out that drinking is known to be VERY expensive (relatively) there.

In addition, the exchange rate is usually unfavorable to us. Currently at $1.22.

We didn't drink much at all that trip.

Here's a report that may shed some light:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...n_Islands.html

Rum drinks in the Virgin Islands were typically $6-$9. The beaches on St. John were to die for.

Here's one of the many along the north shore...

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/Bay_zpse7c1fe7c.jpg******
                                Last edited by Gurtholfin; 09-09-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X