X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
    My family took a trip 10+ years ago. It was with my dad's airborne unit from WWII. We started in London, went to a couple of army bases where he was in training, then took a ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg. Saw St. Mere Eglise (Sp?) where Red Buttons spent the night hanging from the Church Steeple, then saw Omaha beach. We stayed in Caaen, and saw Normandy beach and cemetary (Where 'Private Ryan' opening scene was filmed). We saw the Allied headquarters in Rheims where the surrender papers were signed. We saw Belgium and the area where Dad entered the war during the Battle of the Bulge. We saw Luxembourg and the Dutch cemetary where Patton is buried, at the head of his troops. We then went to Wiessel Germany where Dad's unit glidered across the Rhine, and he was wounded and his war ended. He could still recognize the spot where he was in a foxhole when he was wounded by shrapnel.
    We saw the Cathedral in Cologne - wow. Saw lots of other places and things, and it was a really cool trip.

Got chills just reading this. Can't imagine how powerful the experience must have been for your Dad and for your family, and for his comrades. Normandy and what followed is the defining moment of the American Century. We owe everybody who took part in it a huge debt. I can't imagine our world today if Hitler had gone on to win that war...Your Dad and his fiends tilted the war to the good guys. I can't imagine taking part in something more important.

Comment

We've booked a trip to Thailand for December. Part of the itinerary for my wife and I will include 4 nights here: http://www.samuizazen.com/ We as usual will spend the majority of our time in Bangkok, but we should also be able to have a few days each in Rayong (southern Thail port city) and Chiang Mai (larger city set in the mountains of northern Thailand).

We would like to have an additional domestic trip and if so we've narrowed our choices to: Carolina coast, Cape Cod, northern Minnesota, Yellowstone and Washington state.

However, all of this may get altered if not completely cancelled if we end up buying the major share of a restaurant we've been negotiating the past few months. To be honest part of me hopes we get the travel instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        We've booked a trip to Thailand for December. Part of the itinerary for my wife and I will include 4 nights here: http://www.samuizazen.com/ We as usual will spend the majority of our time in Bangkok, but we should also be able to have a few days each in Rayong (southern Thail port city) and Chiang Mai (larger city set in the mountains of northern Thailand).
        I hope the latest political turmoil settles down before you go.

Comment

Originally posted by pardonme View Post
          I hope the latest political turmoil settles down before you go.
          You're absolutely correct that we have to be cognizant of the situation, but there is always political turmoil in Thailand. In fact if there were no unrest nor accusations of government corruption it wouldn't be Thailand. With the rare exception of the airport being shut down a while back, the protesting of the government and calls for new elections (a 24/7/365 industry) is usually limited to a small area and specifically targeted to avoid getting in the way of travelers. But your concerns are not without merit and are appreciated.

Comment

Thailand rocks.

My wife and I were very concerned about the political violence in Bkk before we went in July 2007. (Side note: Bkk in July, bad idea). Once we got there we encountered no problems whatsoever. I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the real violence is in the far south (or at least was then). Macro political issues are much less of a problem when traveling than local ones such as corruption (I hate streetcar conductors in Poland), street crime, and particularly in Thailand, scams (see below).

Thailand is a wonderful place with great people and the best food on Earth. Bkk street food is outrageously good and safe to eat for the most part. (But don't drink the water.) Just duck into a hole in the wall restaurant and order by pointing. Mmm.

You do need to be cognizant of scams. Particularly people who will approach you near major tourist sites and tell you that they are closed due to prayer service, or some other reason. Ignore them, it's a scam to get you to their restaurant. Also, be very weary of people who are overly friendly and speak good English, particularly near tourist sites; usually you'll end up trying to be roped into a "free tuk-tuk ride" if you just go into the store and try on a suit. (The cheap suit racket is pretty intense in Bkk, but not as bad as Kowloon Hong Kong where they're on every street corner, literally.)

ALWAYS take meter taxis. If the taxi driver doesn't turn the meter on, get out.

The Ibis hotel in Bkk is an awesome value and off the beaten track.

Have fun and enjoy it, I wish I had spent more time in southeast Asia on my RTW trip. We were disappointed to leave.
            Last edited by Zudnic; 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM.
            Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

This will be my 7th trip there and my wife is from Bangkok, but I always love hearing about the experierence of others that have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                This will be my 7th trip there and my wife is from Bangkok, but I always love hearing about the experierence of others that have been.
                Should have said so

Lucky you, I wish I had an excuse like that to go to Thailand over and over again !
                Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

I have to ask: Why are you going to Rayong? It's a major chemical manufacturing zone (my company have at least 3 plants there). And there are definitely better beach areas in Thailand.

A Thailand story: I was in Thailand with a couple of co-workers who wanted to visit the Tourist Night Market in Patpong. I don't know if it's the same now, but then all they did was drop a whole lot of stands selling kitschy souvenirs smack in the middle of the street that had strip clubs running the length of it. All the touts from the strip clubs had little cards saying each of the different tricks the strippers did, such as the "dart trick", "ping pong ball trick" or "cigarette trick." One enterprising guy came up to us with his card and the line "F show? F show? You want F show?" except he actually dropped the F-bomb.

Funnier still was when he went up to a middle aged European couple and did his shtick. The look of shock on her face was priceless!
                  Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

I have to ask: Why are you going to Rayong? It's a major chemical manufacturing zone (my company have at least 3 plants there). And there are definitely better beach areas in Thailand.
                    Rayong Resort Beach Club is gorgeous, it's just a boat ride from there to Koh Samed, plus my brother-in-law is an engineer and the company he works for occasionally has him stationed in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                      The cheap suit racket is pretty intense in Bkk, but not as bad as Kowloon Hong Kong where they're on every street corner, literally.
                      Those guys in Kowloon crack me up. They just walk right up, "Copy watch? Copy handbag? Cheap suit?" It must work, too, because it's always the same. Somebody at some point must actually say, "Why, yes, I'd like to see your knock-off watches. Take me up some alley, please!"
                      Bugs Bunny - 96
                      Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

I'm shooting a friend's wedding near Rockland (or is it Rockport?) Maine in August (21st) and am looking to finally spend a few days in Acadia National Park (either before or after). Looking for advice on how to best spend a couple of days there, relatively inexpensively. I'd like to at least do some hiking (not too far, yet) and photograph some good scenic stuff...

I've casually begun to browse some websites for some ideas, but if anyone here has spent some time there and has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                          I'm shooting a friend's wedding near Rockland (or is it Rockport?) Maine in August (21st) and am looking to finally spend a few days in Acadia National Park (either before or after). Looking for advice on how to best spend a couple of days there, relatively inexpensively. I'd like to at least do some hiking (not too far, yet) and photograph some good scenic stuff...

I've casually begun to browse some websites for some ideas, but if anyone here has spent some time there and has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!
                          Josh, funny, I just did this trip in September, let me gather my thoughts and chat w/my parents about it and I'll come up w/some stuff for you.
                          Live Free or Die!

Celeste & Sydney Recovery Fund

Comment

Thanks, erin, that'd be groovy!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                              Those guys in Kowloon crack me up. They just walk right up, "Copy watch? Copy handbag? Cheap suit?" It must work, too, because it's always the same. Somebody at some point must actually say, "Why, yes, I'd like to see your knock-off watches. Take me up some alley, please!"
                              My favorite was when I was on a street corner looking for the sign - deciding to go left or right. A guy walks up and goes, "Do you need directions? Perhaps you are looking for a new suit?"

sigpic

Comment

National park to put on your 'Don't Miss' list - Yosemite. Just the most amazing scenery ever. We went the week after Labor Day, and there were NO crowds. It was wonderful - the weather was great. The biggest problem was that Yosemite falls was dry. But the other falls weren't.
                                Half Dome from Glacier point:

El Capitan from the valley floor

Also, be sure to get out of the valley - see the sequoias, Hech Hechy, the back country, hike up to Half dome, etc.
                                Last edited by MadTownSioux; 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM.
                                Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Working...
                                X