X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I tried using Bing instead of Google, just to see if there is any different in times. I liked Bing much more, it seemed to refresh faster and had hours and minutes listed for a route, so I could be more precise. The problem with Bing is, you can only add 10 waypoints between the start of the route and the destination, so there is no way to actually get the entire route mapped. Anyone know another way to do it?
    Google Earth, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Google Earth, perhaps?
      I wouldn't expect that to be any different than google maps. hmmmm

I have to think that one of the biggest keys to this whole thing is timing it perfectly so you hit Chicago/Boston/New York/etc. at night, or on weekends, and when there are no events going on.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I tried using Bing instead of Google, just to see if there is any different in times. I liked Bing much more, it seemed to refresh faster and had hours and minutes listed for a route, so I could be more precise. The problem with Bing is, you can only add 10 waypoints between the start of the route and the destination, so there is no way to actually get the entire route mapped. Anyone know another way to do it?
        Another thought I had for this: Can do you do partial trips? It might help to break down various parts and really optimize for time.

Comment

Do you think its more time efficient to cross the US twice east/west or a couple times north/south to get all the states?

You can get the southern 3rd of the US from CA to NC (incl. FL) in about 48 hours (61 mph avg.) if you run the borders of the states. That's 17 states. FL is such an outlier it will waste time in at least 1 direction.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            Do you think its more time efficient to cross the US twice east/west or a couple times north/south to get all the states?

You can get the southern 3rd of the US from CA to NC (incl. FL) in about 48 hours (61 mph avg.) if you run the borders of the states. That's 17 states. FL is such an outlier it will waste time in at least 1 direction.
            My first road double-backs the country, and it was 116 hours. bigblue_dl does north/south and gets it down to 103 hours. If you were to have round trip be a caveat, though, double-backing east-west is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Another thought I had for this: Can do you do partial trips? It might help to break down various parts and really optimize for time.
              Following this lead, I made this.

If you want to use this to make improvements, I can add you as an editor.

This is the same route, or very close to it, that I got 103 hours on, in Google. I think this is the quickest one we've found so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&usp=sharing
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Conference in Montreal in about 9 days... I've got a good number of brewpubs marked. What else is there to do? Yes, the Alouettes are in town.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  I do wonder what Google's criteria for time determination is. Are they using the true speed limit? An average based upon state?
                  I believe Google goes off of speed limits and "average" traffic. I use it to locate stores I haven't been to for work, and I best their predicted time by 15-20 minutes every time in the early morning. Usually right on for the commute home though, when traffic is heavier.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

My supervisor and I were trying to figure out how Google gets real-time traffic information for **** near every road in the country a few months ago. We concluded that they have to be using the average speed of GPS signals of Android phones on that specific section of road.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      Conference in Montreal in about 9 days... I've got a good number of brewpubs marked. What else is there to do? Yes, the Alouettes are in town.
                      I went to Montreal for a bachelor party last summer and had an absolutely fantastic dinner at L'Express. The place we didn't get to that I wish we had is Au Pied de Cochon, a temple to pork-y deliciousness.
                      Cornell University Men's Hockey
                      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

My supervisor and I were trying to figure out how Google gets real-time traffic information for **** near every road in the country a few months ago. We concluded that they have to be using the average speed of GPS signals of Android phones on that specific section of road.
                        I didn't realize it had gotten that far
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Anybody know anything about rural France? I've been a lot of place but that ain't one of them.
                          I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

This isn't a secret.

http://www.techspot.com/news/48015-g...-gps-data.html
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                              Anybody know anything about rural France? I've been a lot of place but that ain't one of them.
                              I just got back from rural France, and will most likely go again next year. This year we were in Northern France. People very nice, no problem with english, rental cars cheap, very little wi fi, food fantastic.
                              Lots of the gas stations are closed on sundays so be real careful about getting low, and many of them are automated so you must have a chip cc vs our swipe ones to get gas at these stations. You can find gas, but it's harder.
                              We stayed at an 11th century chateau which was also a B and B. Totally fantastic. I would recommend getting there during daylight, at least the first time. And having a GPS other than your phone is a bonus when looking for out of the way spots. Many WW2 locations have gps coordinates available. the phone works, but data is extremely expensive, if you can get a signal, which you might not. So using maps on your phone is maybe not the best idea.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Portland was awesome. Seattle was pretty cool, although we had less time to do stuff there.

I want to go back to just Portland for a vacation. We stayed in the Pearl district, which was a little crazy, but tons of places to go. I did a lot of restaurant research before the trip, and we ate very well.

Saw Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens, Multnomah Falls (and scenic highway), Portland Rose Garden, lots of Portland restaurants, Museum of Glass in Tacoma (meh), Space Needle (meh), Ballard Locks, Pike Place, Chihuly Garden and Glass (WELL worth the money), and Safeco Field.

Ate at: McMenamin's in Centralia, Bunk Sandwiches, Apizza Scholls, Mother's Bistro, Multnomah Falls Lodge, Cadillac Cafe, the Original Diner, Voodoo Doughnuts, Top Pot Doughnuts, Macrina Bakery, Skillet Counter, Ray's Cafe and Lowell's (for the scenery), Ezell's and a few other places.
                                Last edited by jen; 08-14-2013, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X