X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    That's right. Although, 48in96 does it faster. We both use one common terminus in White River Junction VT, but their other terminus is the Montana/Idaho border. Theirs is 20 hours faster, but they won't release a route because they take their world record attempts incredibly seriously.
    Hmm. Well, off the cuff (and forgive me for idly speculating as a novice when you've probably put a lot of thought into this), it seems like you could capture a lot of the Southeast if you went south from Maryland or West Virginia or Ohio, cutting through Eastern Kentucky, western Virginia, eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, then through SC/AL/GA/FL/AL/MI/LA/AR/MO the way your route does except in the opposite direction. Or, across LA to the TX border past Shreveport, north to AR/OK/KS/MO, then back to the Great Lakes to pick up those states. It seems like the route is lengthened significantly by having to do the Southeast last though.

Looking at it another way, it seems like there are certain stretches that are the best way to pick up certain groups of states (the stretch from White River Junction to Philly, the stretch from Chicago to the southeast corner of North Dakota) and maybe the challenge is figuring out the way to link those stretches together.
    Cornell University Men's Hockey
    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
      Hmm. Well, off the cuff (and forgive me for idly speculating as a novice when you've probably put a lot of thought into this), it seems like you could capture a lot of the Southeast if you went south from Maryland or West Virginia or Ohio, cutting through Eastern Kentucky, western Virginia, eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, then through SC/AL/GA/FL/AL/MI/LA/AR/MO the way your route does except in the opposite direction. Or, across LA to the TX border past Shreveport, north to AR/OK/KS/MO, then back to the Great Lakes to pick up those states. It seems like the route is lengthened significantly by having to do the Southeast last though.

Looking at it another way, it seems like there are certain stretches that are the best way to pick up certain groups of states (the stretch from White River Junction to Philly, the stretch from Chicago to the southeast corner of North Dakota) and maybe the challenge is figuring out the way to link those stretches together.
      I thought about it for maybe an hour, so by all means, go for it. The part with the most thought was New England. One thing that would also help the route is the roundabout at Four Corners, as there is a road that goes to it, and subsequently, through all four states. That way, I don't have to double-back to Utah or cut across Nebraska E-W to dip into Colorado. Perhaps I should use the village of Texarkana.

I'm glad you like the Chicago to North Dakota part. I used that on my trip to St. Cloud and wanted to take a side trip to visit a couple more states.

I did see a site about a guy who tried this, but he did round trip from western California, and he also did it in 1998, so he found out in Montana that his rental car was governed at 108 MPH.

Comment

I so want to take a road trip. http://goo.gl/Tt3Za
        Do you only have to drive into/through the state? Are you looking to make a stop, get out of the car and do something in each state, be it small or large?
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Do you only have to drive into/through the state? Are you looking to make a stop, get out of the car and do something in each state, be it small or large?
          The challenge is to, by road and vehicle, visit all 48 states. Spend as much or as little time in a state, and it must be one continuous road (i.e. no U-turns, although double-backing a road is OK). Also, I must start and stop at a legal parking space, even if it's a field with a driveway. Stopping in each state is not necessary.

Comment

That route you chose has some extremely boring stretches of driving in it.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              I remember about I-94 in Wisconsin. South Dakota wasn't too bad, though.

Comment

I gave it a try, got 116 hours on my first try. Start in Vermont end in Nevada.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I remember about I-94 in Wisconsin. South Dakota wasn't too bad, though.
                  I94 in Wisconsin, I80 in Nebraska, Large chunks of Nevada and West Texas and New Mexico.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Taking another look, as well as jmh's suggestions, there may be a faster way. Keep the New England route, but modify NJ so that you cross into PA near Philly before going into Delaware. Once in Maryland, though, use I-70 and US 340 to pick up WV and VA. Take 81 to 77 to get North Carolina, use the route I had to get SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, but take it all the way over on I-10 and cut into LA. Then take the 59/65 back to TN, KY, take 71 to Cincinnati (OH), go towards IN, IL, cut WI closer (maybe US 61), take 90/35/94 in MN and regain the previous route, except this time taking I-29 further (ND, SD, IA, MO, maybe use 480 to cut into NE), take the KS way around KC, US 71 into AR before heading towards OK, go across the TX panhandle, this time going up to Four Corners to pick up NM, CO, UT, AZ, take a shortened Western route that doesn't double back to Utah but still cuts into CA, OR, and WA, ID to MT, then US-89 down to WY. Wonder how much time I save... hopefully more than it took me to write this.

EDIT: Missed MI. Shoot. Have to go ALL THE WAY up to Toledo and do what I did before to get through Chicago to ND; can't cut through Indy. At least that's what I-75 is for, and is possibly feasible now that OH's up to a speed limit of 70 for most interstates, and not just the pike. Scrap the IN/IL part from the first portion, and just follow what I had before.
                    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 07-24-2013, 09:38 AM.

Comment

6764 miles, 103 hours

edit: Vermont - New Hampshire - Maine - New Hampshire(repeat) - Massachusetts - Rhode Island - Connecticut - New York - New Jersey - Pennsylvania - Maryland - West Virginia - Ohio - West Virginia(repeat) - Kentucky - Tennessee - North Carolina - South Carolina - Georgia - Alabama - Florida - Alabama(repeat) - Mississippi - Louisiana - Mississippi(repeat) - Arkansas - Tennessee(repeat) - Missouri - Illinois - Indiana - Michigan - Indiana(repeat) - Illinois(repeat) - Wisconsin - Minnesota - North Dakota - South Dakota - Nebraska - Iowa - Nebraska(repeat) - Kansas - Colorado - Oklahoma - Texas - New Mexico - Arizona - California - Nevada - Utah - Idaho - Wyoming - Idaho(repeat) - Montana - Idaho(repeat) - Washington - Oregon

I think this is what I had (I reset my map and didn't save it, so it is from memory) I wanted to record what I had somewhere while it was fresh in my mind
                      Last edited by bigblue_dl; 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

6764 miles, 103 hours
                        That's certainly an improvement. Not down to the 96 yet, though.

I'd have to look at what I described and see if any improvements can be made. Did you happen to save a link, by any chance?

Comment

My son and I will be on the east coast mid August and he wants to fish. Any suggestions on how and where we can do that for less than a fortune? We'll be driving up the coast from NYC to Boston. Sound, estuary or ocean fishing would work if a charter won't bankrupt me. Thanks!

Comment

6764 miles, 103 hours

edit: Vermont - New Hampshire - Maine - New Hampshire(repeat) - Massachusetts - Rhode Island - Connecticut - New York - New Jersey - Pennsylvania - Maryland - West Virginia - Ohio - West Virginia(repeat) - Kentucky - Tennessee - North Carolina - South Carolina - Georgia - Alabama - Florida - Alabama(repeat) - Mississippi - Louisiana - Mississippi(repeat) - Arkansas - Tennessee(repeat) - Missouri - Illinois - Indiana - Michigan - Indiana(repeat) - Illinois(repeat) - Wisconsin - Minnesota - North Dakota - South Dakota - Nebraska - Iowa - Nebraska(repeat) - Kansas - Colorado - Oklahoma - Texas - New Mexico - Arizona - California - Nevada - Utah - Idaho - Wyoming - Idaho(repeat) - Montana - Idaho(repeat) - Washington - Oregon

I think this is what I had (I reset my map and didn't save it, so it is from memory) I wanted to record what I had somewhere while it was fresh in my mind
                            You missed Delaware and Virginia. BTW, I-29 never actually goes into Nebraska. It goes from SD straight into IA.

Comment

AMERICA has some extremely boring stretches of driving in it. Like, anything between MSP/St. Louis/Dallas (depending how far north or south you are) and Denver or so.
                              Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              My son and I will be on the east coast mid August and he wants to fish. Any suggestions on how and where we can do that for less than a fortune? We'll be driving up the coast from NYC to Boston. Sound, estuary or ocean fishing would work if a charter won't bankrupt me. Thanks!
                              Though it's out of the way, my inclination is to say that if you made a drive out to the South Shore of Long Island, it'd be less expensive to do a charter than if you went in Connecticut. No idea how Rhode Island would compare to that though.
                              Cornell University Men's Hockey
                              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                My suggestion (in addition to jmh's idea): Drive out to LI for the fishing, anywhere out towards the tip and montauk, on either shore, should have fishing charters and the like. Orient, Southhold, Montauk (probably expensive though), etc. From there, drive back towards NYC, but take the Port Jefferson ferry up to, I believe, New Haven, CT.

Since tArrogance may have forgotten what the NCAA trophy looks like, you could then swing by Yale and check it out

Comment

Working...
                                X