This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Cancun. fly in rent a car and head south to tulum or akumal. rent something on the beach. make sure the gas station boys zero the counter before they pump your gas. keep a couple of $10 or $20 bills ready to pay off cops. dont drink the water. anything goes on the highway - its a madhouse, but better than the bus. food is delicious. beaches beyond beautiful. snorkel. visit the cenotes. tulum ruins are incredible. climb the pyramid at Coba. see the mayan ballcourt. see the armed soldiers guarding the national parks. the chocolate is also fab. dont even think about drugs. stay sober and stay safe. dont get caught in the crossfire.

its really beautiful, you just have to be careful.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
      Cancun. fly in rent a car and head south to tulum or akumal. rent something on the beach. make sure the gas station boys zero the counter before they pump your gas. keep a couple of $10 or $20 bills ready to pay off cops. dont drink the water. anything goes on the highway - its a madhouse, but better than the bus. food is delicious. beaches beyond beautiful. snorkel. visit the cenotes. tulum ruins are incredible. climb the pyramid at Coba. see the mayan ballcourt. see the armed soldiers guarding the national parks. the chocolate is also fab. dont even think about drugs. stay sober and stay safe. dont get caught in the crossfire.

its really beautiful, you just have to be careful.
      Yep. Sounds like a great time.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        That's not far from Zihuatanejo, where Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are having babies.
        Yup. I went to a Club Med at Ixtapa many years ago. It is right next to Zihaitenejo.

Comment

Went to the Maya Riviera two years ago. Shuttle from the airport to the all-inclusive which was beautiful, but was told it was 25% dicey to leave the compound. I loved the place but I'll never again go to a destination again if I'm going to feel shakey about walking around. (and no I am not one of those dopes that are afraid to go into a city)
          Last edited by Slap Shot; 10-13-2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

We went to Cozumel to an all-inclusive place a couple years ago. Really enjoyed that. We didn't venture too far into town, but have had friends who have rented cars there and drove all over the place without difficulty. There is also a ferry to the mainland with some Aztec/Mayan ruins not too far away.

The island vibe is nice and laidback as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Mrs. EoDS and I are heading to Seattle/Vancouver around New Year's. Any suggestions? So far, I've got that fish market in Seattle and the incredible urge to take our time driving to Vancouver. And, for sentimental reasons, visit the Pelmeni restaurant in Seattle.
              Ferry ride to Victoria and an afternoon there, if you want to feel like you're in jolly olde England. Sushi in Seattle, and the Japanese garden there. Museum of Flight in Seattle (think a slightly smaller version of the Air & Space Museum.) Olympic Peninsula, if you and the missus like hiking - specifically this place. Salmon (other ocean fish or shellfish) at one of the restaurants right on the water. Mount St. Helens, or Mount Rainier or Baker.

I can't remember that much more off the top of my head - it's been a decade and a half since I've been there. Good luck, and enjoy!
              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                Ferry ride to Victoria and an afternoon there, if you want to feel like you're in jolly olde England. Sushi in Seattle, and the Japanese garden there. Museum of Flight in Seattle (think a slightly smaller version of the Air & Space Museum.) Olympic Peninsula, if you and the missus like hiking - specifically this place. Salmon (other ocean fish or shellfish) at one of the restaurants right on the water. Mount St. Helens, or Mount Rainier or Baker.

I can't remember that much more off the top of my head - it's been a decade and a half since I've been there. Good luck, and enjoy!
                Voodoo Donut Shop is supposed to be excellent.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Voodoo Donut Shop is supposed to be excellent.
                  I think that's in Portland though.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I think that's in Portland though.
                    Portland is practically a suburb of Seattle.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Mrs. EoDS and I are heading to Seattle/Vancouver around New Year's. Any suggestions? So far, I've got that fish market in Seattle and the incredible urge to take our time driving to Vancouver. And, for sentimental reasons, visit the Pelmeni restaurant in Seattle.

Mrs. EoDS and I did Jamaica.

There are some off-resort things we enjoyed while we were there, but let's be honest: that wasn't a very high priority item on our agenda!
                      Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post

Mr les and I were there about the same time BPH was. Agree with Victoria. I lived in England for a bit. Victoria was awesome. Go to tea. YUM!!

We took a cruise/whale watch up Puget Sound. It was beautiful.

Went to Vancouver Island- went to some Gardens which were absolutely stunning. Went over to Olympia- That was awesome..

Comment

From what I remember over two visits, Gastown and Chinatown are probably the highlights of Vancouver proper.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          Went to Vancouver Island- went to some Gardens which were absolutely stunning.
                          Butchart Gardens. Yeah, if you like something like that, it's amazing. (And I do!)
                          Bugs Bunny - 96
                          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
                            We went to Cozumel to an all-inclusive place a couple years ago. Really enjoyed that. We didn't venture too far into town, but have had friends who have rented cars there and drove all over the place without difficulty. There is also a ferry to the mainland with some Aztec/Mayan ruins not too far away.

The island vibe is nice and laidback as well.
                            Tulum, I believe it is.

Comment

Olympic Peninsula is a favorite of mine. Victoria is nice. Take a ferry or boat tour. We were up there this past summer for a couple days. Mt. St. Helens is pretty awesome, though a bit south. Mt. Ranier is also a great place, though it takes a little while to get there. Really, almost anywhere driving through the Cascades is really great. In Seattle, the market is fun. The University of Washington is a beautiful campus to walk around. If you get a chance, have Ivors Fish and Chips. Great local chain.
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                portland is practically a suburb of boston.
                                fyp
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X