This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Im heading to San Diego on Sunday for the week. I will be there for a conference so my free time will be at a minimum but if anyone has good suggestions for restaurants or perhaps parts of town that have many good ones in a small area that would be awesome. I dont know if I will have much free time for anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by zamboni crash-test dummy View Post
      Well, my first question would be has anyone been to the Normandy beaches?

Second question is has anyone driven in France?
      1) Many have been there, few told the stories.

2) I drove there years ago with a couple fraternity brothers. I remember lots of expensive toll roads. And Neil asking what a sign said as we were obviously entering a work zone. "The '30' means that's the speed limit - slow down! The rest is irrelevant." (I was the group's translator)

Amuses-toi bien. And tell stories, Mrs. UR and I are headed there in September.
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I've driven there...in a British car. Drove from Calais to Paris and then on to Geneva. Did not go to Normandy.

No need to drive in Paris. In fact a car is an inconvenience there, since there's no place to park it other than in the middle of the sidewalk (which Parisians do, BTW).

The comment about the toll roads is spot on. They are expensive.

And just for laughs, "Why do all the roads in France have trees planted along the sides?"
        Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post
          And just for laughs, "Why do all the roads in France have trees planted along the sides?"
          Shade for the Germans.

As for travel, try http://www.raileurope.com/us.
          Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
          I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
          Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post
            No need to drive in Paris. In fact a car is an inconvenience there, since there's no place to park it other than in the middle of the sidewalk (which Parisians do, BTW).

The comment about the toll roads is spot on. They are expensive.
            thanks, that's good to know
            Wisconsin Badgers: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006 NCAA Champs

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
              My best friend and I went a couple of years ago. Booked a tour through Viator. The driver was very knowledgable. We went to many of the same places that BPH did. There was also a nice lunch at an inn included.
              Mel - fill me in on details! Was the tour worth it? What time of year did you go and how packed were the sites? Did you see just the US sites British and Canadian zones also? Etc etc etc
              Wisconsin Badgers: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006 NCAA Champs

Comment

Mel - fill me in on details! Was the tour worth it? What time of year did you go and how packed were the sites? Did you see just the US sites British and Canadian zones also? Etc etc etc
                This is the tour we took. I'm definitely not a history buff, but it was quite the sobering experience.

We ended up in the van with two couples - one from New York and one from one of the Carolinas. There was plenty of time to wander around the sites. Our driver, Fabrice, (my friend kept calling him Febreeze ) even took us back into a place that looked like it was off limits to allow us the chance to get down into a bunker.

We went in late November, definitely not tourist season, so I don't know what it would be like at other times of the year.

Also, we had a lot of luck with Viator. They have a lot of offerings if you're not quite sure what you'd want to do. We did a wine tasting, a cooking class, the Normandy trip, and dinner and the show at Moulin Rouge.
                I was told there would be no math...

Comment

I'm going to D.C. May 13-16 for National Police Week. What should I know? I've been to D.C. once before...

Comment

I spent five months of 2007 on a round the world trip. Spent a lot of time in Australia, NZ, China, Africa, and continental Europe, with short jaunts to Zambia/Botswana, Egypt, Thailand. Happy to give impressions if anyone has questions.

I've posted on USCHO from every populated continent....
                    Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

I did the Normandy Beaches on a day trip from Paris. Went to the Peace Museum in Caaen, the St Laurent Cemetery, Pointe du Hoc along with all the beaches, Omaha, Utah, Juno Gold and Sword. Fabulous day.
                      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                        I've posted on USCHO from every populated continent....
                        Pssht. Penguin up: *****http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/images/0611/adventure-travel/antarctica.jpg******

Seriously, though, really jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          Pssht. Penguin up: *****http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/images/0611/adventure-travel/antarctica.jpg******

Seriously, though, really jealous.
                          Antarctica is the dream destination for my wife and I. Would absolutely love it.
                          Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Planning to take the wife and kid to DC for a few days on spring break. I assume we should stay in the burbs near a commuter line. Any recommendations on where?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              Planning to take the wife and kid to DC for a few days on spring break. I assume we should stay in the burbs near a commuter line. Any recommendations on where?
                              Personally if I was staying at a hotel I'd stay downtown and save the headache of commuting. Will you be there during the Cherry Blossom Festival (or whatever it's called)? I guess the Metro gets mobbed we stayed at relatives in Old Town during the FF and a lot of people were talking about the backup of people trying to get on a train.

Have fun!! T will love it.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                                Personally if I was staying at a hotel I'd stay downtown and save the headache of commuting. Will you be there during the Cherry Blossom Festival (or whatever it's called)? I guess the Metro gets mobbed we stayed at relatives in Old Town during the FF and a lot of people were talking about the backup of people trying to get on a train.

Have fun!! T will love it.
                                In defense of the metro... choose your time... rush hour is rush hour... I get on a train at 7 and its crammed... I get on a train at 9 its better though not great. Get on a train around 4:30 PM... rush hour... get on at 7-7:30... easy sailing... probably the best part of going to the gym is not having to deal with the crush

---

thebrain, I'm jealous in the sense that you'll be able to easily tell what is poice, security guard, etc. etc. So many different official and semi-official uniforms around the city that I think just about anybody in a uniform could claim they were a cop and i'd have a hard time not believing them.
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X