X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    But... gosh, if you're leaving early enough that you're going to be in Newburgh by midafternoon then I just don't think you'll hit much traffic until that point anyway. You'll be ahead of the traffic out of Philly I would imagine and that's the worst part. Coming up 287 through Jersey is easy, like I said. But I don't drive out of the city much and don't know whether you might potentially get stuck on 87 starting right past the NJ/NY border with traffic coming across from the Tappan Zee. In any case it certainly seems like going up to Binghamton is excessive, and that's just in terms of the extra distance (something like 90 miles longer than the most direct route) and disregarding the fact that I-88 is the most boring stretch of highway in the universe.
    Not only is I-88 boring, the road is probably in the worst shape of any road I've seen. I've off-roaded on better quality.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Not only is I-88 boring, the road is probably in the worst shape of any road I've seen. I've off-roaded on better quality.
      I-88 is so boring that the only two places it goes are Albany and Binghamton.
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Are you trying to tell me everyone doesn't go to Albany for Memorial Day?...hmmm, the travel agent must have lied to me

Thanks for the input, right now I'm planning to leave as early as I can (darn this whole work thing) and try the NJTP/287/87 route with an eye on google maps traffic...if it looks bad I'll head to the side roads...funny what I'll do to avoid sitting in traffic
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Come to think of it, I think I've only gotten off or on like 3 exits to actually go somewhere. And those exits were really close to the capital region. Thruway and I-81 to NY-17 don't count.

Comment

So, worst part of getting to Albany was the last exit off of 87 into Albany...GPS lady took me up 295 to 206 (thru Princeton)...made good time but heard from other folks that NJTP was clear...not sure why I ended up going that route vs. cutting over to NJTP when it is a mile from 295.

Anyhoo, what's up with NY drivers on 87??? There are two lanes so you can move over to the right if you want to travel 2mph above the speed limit.

Getting home Sunday, GPS lady took me down 87 to 17 to the NJTP...made it home in record time...I suspect 17 isn't ideal on a regular day but Sunday of Memorial Day weekend it was quick.

For the travelogue, if I don't ever get back to Albany, I won't feel deprived. I'm sure there are a lot of nice places around there, the immediate area and Clifton Park are nothing to write home about.
            I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Ressurecting an older one here.

Heading to Seattle for a conference Sept 4th through 9th. Will be downtown at the convention center. Looking for restaraunts and bars that are good. Im sure I will be checking out the Pike Street market at least a few times. Its a fisheries conference and as you may expect Im all about the seafood so good seafood and sushi places are what Im going to be looking for. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

Comment

Next week, I'll be visiting Chicago and running the Marathon there. Other than the Obvious, what are some other places I should check out while I'm down there?
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

In October, I'll be running the Twin Cities marathon. What are some places to check out while I'm in Minnesota?
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    In October, I'll be running the Twin Cities marathon. What are some places to check out while I'm in Minnesota?
                    http://www.gasthofzg.com/
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      I definitely want to go! Also, I would like to try my first Jucy Lucy...

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        I definitely want to go! Also, I would like to try my first Jucy Lucy...
                        Go to Matt's Bar for the original. http://mattsbar.com/

Nye's Polonaise Room is great, too. The restaurant itself is a little pricey but has tremendous food, and the tiny arse bar in the back (with The World's Most Dangerous Polka Band) is awesome. http://www.nyespolonaise.com/

And you should at least stop at First Ave (you don't have to go in; I don't even know what's it's like for music/atmosphere anymore) for the historical significance. http://first-avenue.com/
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Al's Breakfast in Dinkytown.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                            Al's Breakfast in Dinkytown.
                            And/or Mickey's in St Paul.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              And you should at least stop at First Ave (you don't have to go in; I don't even know what's it's like for music/atmosphere anymore) for the historical significance. http://first-avenue.com/
                              I went there in the '80's when it was Uncle Sam's; first place I got my butt pinched (by a guy) and first place I saw two women slow-dancing together. Quite a time for a small-town Nort' Dakotan.
                              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Walk across the Stone Arch Bridge (downtown Minneapolis).
                                Great views of the Mississippi, the falls, the locks, and of the city itself. The bridge used to be for trains taking grain from the prairie to the big mills along the falls, and there are plaques along the walk with good bits of history on the importance of the falls, how they're the whole reason the city's there in the first place, etc. Then on the west end of the bridge you've got the Mill Museum (interesting history of the whole area and of the mills [Gold Medal, Pillsbury, General Mills] that started it all) and the world-famous Guthrie Theatre . . . and on the east end of the bridge there's a small neighborhood with several nice restaurants with outdoor seating.
                                Bugs Bunny - 96
                                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Working...
                                X