X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by pirate View Post
    Not as exciting as some of the other trips but driving from mid-atlantic area to NH and then onto Maine this Friday/Saturday.

Just curious if anybody knows of any major construction issues that could impact the route.

Normally go NJTP, 287, TPZ Br, 684, 84, 91 etc. but thinking of taking Merrit Pkwy to 91 to Brattleboro and then heading over towards Concord. Have done the reverse version of that and it went great, wondering if there would be problem doing that Friday afternoon (do people from NYC head up 91 for the weekend?).

Goal is to be through NYC (TPZ) area by 12-1 pm and avoid rush hour in Hartford too. If delayed, any thoughts about getting around Hartford at rush hour?

Next morning am driving to mid-coast Maine, probably 95 to Augusta and then 3 or 17 over to the coast.

Anybody with local input on traffic issues/route recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    You shouldn't have any problems on I-287 at noon, but I'm not a big fan of I-84 from NY to Hartford. There's a lot of truck traffic and a lot of slow drivers. I always take the Merritt when heading from PA to Boston. If you're past New Haven by 2 you should be fine, unless there's been an accident on I-95. Then you're screwed, no matter which route you take.

Re Hartford, I haven't seen a lot of traffic problems on I-91 between the Merritt and Hartford except for around exit 29 for the Charter Oak Bridge (i.e. the way to get from I-91 northbound to I-84 eastbound). That exit can back up for 2 or 3 miles, but stay left and you'll miss the worst of it.
    Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

I work for an airline, and am quite familiar with just about anything Airline related. So fire away with questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.
      UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UNH GH View Post
        I work for an airline, and am quite familiar with just about anything Airline related. So fire away with questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.
        How do you have the best chance to score a seat with the most legroom. I'm not a supertall guy, but have long legs. 36"+ inseam or so. I've gotten lucky with people I know or online ticket booking, but I'd like to know a for sure way.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post
          You shouldn't have any problems on I-287 at noon, but I'm not a big fan of I-84 from NY to Hartford. There's a lot of truck traffic and a lot of slow drivers. I always take the Merritt when heading from PA to Boston. If you're past New Haven by 2 you should be fine, unless there's been an accident on I-95. Then you're screwed, no matter which route you take.

Re Hartford, I haven't seen a lot of traffic problems on I-91 between the Merritt and Hartford except for around exit 29 for the Charter Oak Bridge (i.e. the way to get from I-91 northbound to I-84 eastbound). That exit can back up for 2 or 3 miles, but stay left and you'll miss the worst of it.
          Thanks, we traveled last week and just got back so I can confirm your advice is right on.

Bought a new GPS with better traffic recognition and it took us through NYC without slowing down (normally would have avoided due to risk of a major delay and experienced the joy of 84), directed us through Palisades to avoid that long run up to the bridge...95 was jammed just past the GWB but we avoided all of that...it took us to the Major Deegan and eventually to Merritt which was great until just before the hookup with 91.

Rest of the way was great until it got us lost on the dirt roads around the lake...it thought a road went through when the dead end sign and trees said something different. It kept thinking the best way was to turn back around and head down the prescribed route which made navigating our way out a little tricky.

Again, coming back I normally would have gone 84 for fear of getting stuck in NYC but we followed the GPS and it got us through with no issues.
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

If a 757 leaves Cleveland at noon heading east with an average speed of 456MPH and.....

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
              Has anyone used Hertz's #1 Club Gold service? I get to use it for the first time next month, and trying to look like I know what I'm doing.
              I travel a ton and use it a lot. When you land at a major airport, just follow the signs (or take the shuttle if there is one) to Rental Cars, then Hertz, then look for the usually large Hertz #1 club message board with customer names in lighted format in alphabetical order, and it will tell you your parking stall number. Go to your numbered stall and your keys and paperwork will be in the car (unlocked). Simply drive on...

If your name is not on the board, go to the #1 club counter.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  How do you have the best chance to score a seat with the most legroom. I'm not a supertall guy, but have long legs. 36"+ inseam or so. I've gotten lucky with people I know or online ticket booking, but I'd like to know a for sure way.
                  It will almost for sure need to be done at the time of Check-In.

It also depends what airline. If you're flying United, they have what's called Economy Plus. 5 inches more legroom for several rows of seats in the front of the cabin. These seats can be purchased at time of Check-in, but not before.

You can try just asking the agent for a seat like that or an exit row, which are also blocked off until Check-In.

A great website is seatguru.com. Shows the specs of each seat on each aircraft each airline operates. Depending on the aircraft a bulkhead seat will have more room.
                  UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

It will almost for sure need to be done at the time of Check-In.

It also depends what airline. If you're flying United, they have what's called Economy Plus. 5 inches more legroom for several rows of seats in the front of the cabin. These seats can be purchased at time of Check-in, but not before.

You can try just asking the agent for a seat like that or an exit row, which are also blocked off until Check-In.

A great website is seatguru.com. Shows the specs of each seat on each aircraft each airline operates. Depending on the aircraft a bulkhead seat will have more room.
                    Also, some airlines like Delta will let you select seats when you make your reservation, and will allow you to choose the exit row. A few airlines have a surcharge for those seats (AirTran for instance), but it's probably worth it for you.
                    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
                      Thanks for the info.
                      The very first time you use the #1 Club Gold service, you will probably have to go to the Gold counter anyway, so they can confirm your identity and your credit card number. After that first time, your name will be up on the board when you arrive and you won't have to stop at the counter again, unless you use a different credit card, or somebody at Hertz screws something up (very rare), or your flight is very late.

IMO, the $60/year it costs to join #1 Club Gold is well worth it if you rent cars at airports even a few times a year. For whatever reason, the slowest people in the world have all ended up working behind the counter at airport car rentals, and it's worth a few dollars to avoid them--and you also generally get the newest cars on the lot, plus you sometimes get free upgrades to the next higher class of car.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

This actually works, I love chatting up airline employees. They can and will hook you up if you show them a basic level of kindness. Every flier is always flustered, angry, and acting like an *******. Even if the airline dude is incompetent, I always commiserate, and I usually get what I want.

Comment

Speaking of rental cars, my wife and I just had a terrible experience with Thrifty, so I'd advise anyone thinking of renting from them to beware. We rented a car from them for a few days in the Maryland/Virginia area a couple weeks ago and things seemed fine until the day we were driving to BWI to fly out. Long story short, all four tires had bad valve stems (they were heavily corroded) and we spent an afternoon at a tire shop in western Virginia. Thankfully they didn't go out earlier in the day when we drove along the Blue Ridge Skyline Drive, or we might have been seriously injured.

They talked me into paying for the tow, multiple times assuring me they'd reimburse me, only for me to be refused any sort of reimbursement next day. We barely made our flight (thankfully we'd planned a 5-hour cushion), and they tacked a bunch of extra charges on when we dropped off the car, basically doubling the cost of our rental. Pretty appalling, given that we were late because they gave us a car with four bad tires! And trying to work with their customer service folks afterwards had been an exercise in frustration. We'll be disputing the charges, but again, I'd suggest people stay away from Thrifty.
                          Originally posted by Priceless
                          Good to see you're so reasonable.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                          Very well, said.
                          Originally posted by Rover
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                            Speaking of rental cars, my wife and I just had a terrible experience with Thrifty, so I'd advise anyone thinking of renting from them to beware. We rented a car from them for a few days in the Maryland/Virginia area a couple weeks ago and things seemed fine until the day we were driving to BWI to fly out. Long story short, all four tires had bad valve stems (they were heavily corroded) and we spent an afternoon at a tire shop in western Virginia. Thankfully they didn't go out earlier in the day when we drove along the Blue Ridge Skyline Drive, or we might have been seriously injured.

They talked me into paying for the tow, multiple times assuring me they'd reimburse me, only for me to be refused any sort of reimbursement next day. We barely made our flight (thankfully we'd planned a 5-hour cushion), and they tacked a bunch of extra charges on when we dropped off the car, basically doubling the cost of our rental. Pretty appalling, given that we were late because they gave us a car with four bad tires! And trying to work with their customer service folks afterwards had been an exercise in frustration. We'll be disputing the charges, but again, I'd suggest people stay away from Thrifty.
                            depending on the details you may not have a great case for disputing the charge, if the car was late then the late charge is legitimate and the tow charge (assuming it was a third party) is legit if the car was indeed towed...if that is so, ask your card company to contact Thrifty directly on your behalf and see if they can't get you some kind of credit. Not all companies will call for you but if you can get to a manager or senior manager it is worth asking.

Otherwise send a letter to the CEOs of the card company and the car rental company - I bet you get some kind of satisfaction from one of them.
                            I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                              depending on the details you may not have a great case for disputing the charge, if the car was late then the late charge is legitimate and the tow charge (assuming it was a third party) is legit if the car was indeed towed...if that is so, ask your card company to contact Thrifty directly on your behalf and see if they can't get you some kind of credit. Not all companies will call for you but if you can get to a manager or senior manager it is worth asking.

Otherwise send a letter to the CEOs of the card company and the car rental company - I bet you get some kind of satisfaction from one of them.
                              There are a lot more details. I just posted the Reader's Digest version.

So they give me a clearly defective vehicle. The vehicle breaks down due the defects. I'm late due to the breakdown. They gouge me with lots of extra charges for being late. Quite a little scam if they can get away with it.
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Agree about that. There isn't always anything useful on there (depending on the airline and aircraft) but it doesn't cost anything to look.
                                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Working...
                                X