Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

    has anyone done a Grand Canyon Raft trip?
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

    Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

    Comment


    • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

      Originally posted by pirate View Post
      Not as exciting as some of the other trips but driving from mid-atlantic area to NH and then onto Maine this Friday/Saturday.

      Just curious if anybody knows of any major construction issues that could impact the route.

      Normally go NJTP, 287, TPZ Br, 684, 84, 91 etc. but thinking of taking Merrit Pkwy to 91 to Brattleboro and then heading over towards Concord. Have done the reverse version of that and it went great, wondering if there would be problem doing that Friday afternoon (do people from NYC head up 91 for the weekend?).

      Goal is to be through NYC (TPZ) area by 12-1 pm and avoid rush hour in Hartford too. If delayed, any thoughts about getting around Hartford at rush hour?

      Next morning am driving to mid-coast Maine, probably 95 to Augusta and then 3 or 17 over to the coast.

      Anybody with local input on traffic issues/route recommendations would be appreciated.

      Thanks
      They are doing Road Construction on 287 basically from Tappan Zee to CT it isn't too bad, it's basically the skinny lanes for part of the way, unless there is an accident then it gets even worse than normal.
      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

      Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

      Comment


      • Caddo Lake, Texas

        Has anyone ever been to Caddo Lake? I will be in Texas in 2 weeks for a wedding, and am flying out a couple of days early and was thinking about driving out there (its about 3.5 hours) and taking some photos, exploring, but really only have a day to do so. Wondering if its worth it...

        Comment


        • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

          do you know anyone who has done a Grand Canyon rafting trip?
          ever hike the Bright Angel Trail?
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

          Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

          Comment


          • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

            Just booked a flight to Houston in August. Anyone have any suggestions on sightseeing/museums? I'm there for a wedding but will have an extra Friday to kill.

            Comment


            • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

              Originally posted by AMC View Post
              Just booked a flight to Houston in August. Anyone have any suggestions on sightseeing/museums? I'm there for a wedding but will have an extra Friday to kill.
              My suggestion regarding Houston? Avoid it.

              Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


              And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

              ~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

              Comment


              • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

                Minute Maid if possible.

                Besides that, Houston doesn't have much to offer.
                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

                Comment


                • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

                  "Houston has all the disadvantages of Los Angeles with none of the advantages."
                  - My (wise) old man

                  Not sure if you're flying into Hobby or IAH but the area around Hobby is a pit.
                  Last edited by Greyeagle; 06-08-2010, 06:15 PM.

                  Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


                  And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                  And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                  Twenty red lights in his honor
                  Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

                  ~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

                  Comment


                  • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

                    Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                    "Houston has all the disadvantages of Los Angeles with none of the advantages."
                    - My (wise) old man

                    Not sure if you're flying into Hobby or IAH but the area around Hobby is a pit.
                    IAH, wedding is right there, too. Clearly this isn't a place I would ever go, otherwise. The Astros are in town the day I will be there. Anyone have ANYTHING else to do?

                    Comment


                    • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

                      Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      IAH, wedding is right there, too. Clearly this isn't a place I would ever go, otherwise. The Astros are in town the day I will be there. Anyone have ANYTHING else to do?
                      I was born there, haven't been back since I was tiny, but there's always the Space Center. MapQuest says it's a simple 45-mile drive from IAH.
                      Bugs Bunny - 96
                      Gas House Gorillas - 95

                      Comment


                      • Re: Caddo Lake, Texas

                        Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                        Has anyone ever been to Caddo Lake? I will be in Texas in 2 weeks for a wedding, and am flying out a couple of days early and was thinking about driving out there (its about 3.5 hours) and taking some photos, exploring, but really only have a day to do so. Wondering if its worth it...
                        I've been to Lake Fork which is closer to Dallas, not sure where you're flying in to. If you want to do some real unique fishing, fish for this:

                        *****http://www.texasfishingguides.org/kirkland/images/atractosteus_spatula_06.jpg******

                        http://www.texasfishingguides.org/ki..._alligator.htm

                        Comment


                        • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

                          Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                          My suggestion regarding Houston? Avoid it.
                          Especially in August!

                          Comment


                          • Re: Caddo Lake, Texas

                            Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                            I've been to Lake Fork which is closer to Dallas, not sure where you're flying in to. If you want to do some real unique fishing, fish for this:

                            *****http://www.texasfishingguides.org/kirkland/images/atractosteus_spatula_06.jpg******

                            http://www.texasfishingguides.org/ki..._alligator.htm
                            Hey brain, thanks for responding..
                            no interest in fishing at all, looking for something interesting and scenic to photograph, and Caddo's unlike anything I've seen yet, so we're going to spend a day out there and snag a boat tour hoping to get some cool/interesting shots

                            Likely going to just wing it

                            Comment


                            • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

                              Has anyone used Hertz's #1 Club Gold service? I get to use it for the first time next month, and trying to look like I know what I'm doing.

                              Comment


                              • Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

                                Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                ever hike the Bright Angel Trail?
                                Yes. What would you like to know about it?
                                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X