X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Thread for Travel: Trips/Advice/Ideas

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Speaking of MSP, other than going to Las Vegas in September and Detroit in October, I'm debating whether I want to come back to Chicago later this year or head on up to MN like I've wanted to do for the last 4 years. A straight train ride to MSP would cost $260; I'm thinking it would be cheaper to take the Lake Express to Milwaukee, then ride the train to MSP.
    Head up to MN. Depending on when your trip is, I could probably offer up a couch to crash on, at least during the weekend.

And I know others will back me up on this, but summer in MN is grand. And for a good night of relaxing, it's tough to beat chilling at an outside table at a bar/restaurant in downtown Mpls, or walking around there, etc etc etc.

Maybe hit a Twins game, there's rooftop seating in Uptown (Stella's and The Drink; both nice views of the city) and Brit's (lawn bowling on the roof there). Basically, if a place doesn't have outdoor summer seating, they lose a competitive edge in summer, IMO.

And if need be, it's only a $25 cab ride from my place to DT Mpls (about a 20 minute drive).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

ditto on Minnesota summers.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Speaking of MSP, other than going to Las Vegas in September and Detroit in October, I'm debating whether I want to come back to Chicago later this year or head on up to MN like I've wanted to do for the last 4 years. A straight train ride to MSP would cost $260; I'm thinking it would be cheaper to take the Lake Express to Milwaukee, then ride the train to MSP.
        Thirded on the Minneapolis - St. Paul. You could look into Megabus too, they'd be cheaper from Chicago or Milwaukee to MSP, though they're generally packed.
        Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
        I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
        Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
          Thirded on the Minneapolis - St. Paul. You could look into Megabus too, they'd be cheaper from Chicago or Milwaukee to MSP, though they're generally packed.
          And I did look at the prices; it would be roughly $330 round-trip if I took Lake Express to Milwaukee, then Amtrak into MSP. Straight train travel would cost roughly $500.

It'll depend on how many hours I'm getting at work; right now, I need to save money for Vegas in September and Detroit in October.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

And I did look at the prices; it would be roughly $330 round-trip if I took Lake Express to Milwaukee, then Amtrak into MSP. Straight train travel would cost roughly $500.

It'll depend on how many hours I'm getting at work; right now, I need to save money for Vegas in September and Detroit in October.
            How much is it to fly? I've found flying to be cheaper than taking a train. Plus, it's a heck of a lot faster.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
              How much is it to fly? I've found flying to be cheaper than taking a train. Plus, it's a heck of a lot faster.
              Ditto...

I dunno if Southwest does anything close to you Bob, but they have some dirt cheap fares on flights under 2 hours...
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                beignets
                what he said. nothing quite like them. The food there is outrageous too - please promise to not eat at TGI AppleChili's.

We did a fan boat ride, which was fun and got us all muddy. Recommended.
                Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                  what he said. nothing quite like them. The food there is outrageous too - please promise to not eat at TGI AppleChili's.

We did a fan boat ride, which was fun and got us all muddy. Recommended.
                  what SHE said. I was in New Orleans pre-Katrina so I don't know about it now, but it was the best food I've ever had.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Comment

I wanna go to Vegas! with or without a pimproll.

We are wandering the Four Corners for the next two weeks.
                    Let me know where you end up going, I'm still planning a trip in late Sept/early Oct (it depends on when my brother's Police Academy graduation is in Ct., likely Sept 23 but we want a firm answer before planning!)

We've put in for hiking permit to the Wave, where they only let 20 people in/day, and we'll plan around if/when we get one of those. Gonna fly into vegas probably the 24th and spend 10-12 days driving around to a few of the many spots we want to check out. Likely going to check out Lake Powell/Rainbow Bridge, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Bryce and Zion...

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                      Let me know where you end up going, I'm still planning a trip in late Sept/early Oct (it depends on when my brother's Police Academy graduation is in Ct., likely Sept 23 but we want a firm answer before planning!)

We've put in for hiking permit to the Wave, where they only let 20 people in/day, and we'll plan around if/when we get one of those. Gonna fly into vegas probably the 24th and spend 10-12 days driving around to a few of the many spots we want to check out. Likely going to check out Lake Powell/Rainbow Bridge, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Bryce and Zion...
                      great choices, all! hiking to the wave would be so amazing. we showed up one morning but we too late to get the walk in permits. maybe another day.
                      Zion is spectacular. actually they all are. we like quiet out of the way areas. my two favorites Hovenweep and Natural Bridges. oh and Capital Reef. the Henry Mountains area is beautiful. spent yesterday at Mesa Verde. worth the visit if you are into the Anasazi. eat at Pepperheads in Cortez, get coffee at the Silver Bean - coffeeshop in an Airstream.
                      the mother of all Anasazi sites is Chaco Canyon. its very out of the way and the road in is rough (to say the least) but the ruins, roads, stairways up the cliffs are utterly amazing. 800 rooms palaces. be sure to stop at the Glen Canyon Dam. good bookstore and displays. Arches (Moab) is very cool. visit Dead Horse State Park. THE VIEW!! I could go on and on. Love this area.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Comment

great choices, all! hiking to the wave would be so amazing. we showed up one morning but we too late to get the walk in permits. maybe another day.
                        Zion is spectacular. actually they all are. we like quiet out of the way areas. my two favorites Hovenweep and Natural Bridges. oh and Capital Reef. the Henry Mountains area is beautiful. spent yesterday at Mesa Verde. worth the visit if you are into the Anasazi. eat at Pepperheads in Cortez, get coffee at the Silver Bean - coffeeshop in an Airstream.
                        the mother of all Anasazi sites is Chaco Canyon. its very out of the way and the road in is rough (to say the least) but the ruins, roads, stairways up the cliffs are utterly amazing. 800 rooms palaces. be sure to stop at the Glen Canyon Dam. good bookstore and displays. Arches (Moab) is very cool. visit Dead Horse State Park. THE VIEW!! I could go on and on. Love this area.
                        how early did you show up for the Wave Permits? We got denied in the lotto for the few days at the end of Sept that we're out there, and just entered the lotto for the first few days of October before we fly back... Trying to get a read on some strategies for the walk up permits (the day before, I think?)

Also wondering if having a couple of family members and/or friends apply for the lottery for those days would help or hinder our chances of being selected for one of the days and if someone who's not going gets selected, can we still use the permit...

Either way, there are plenty of places we want to see out there. I'm sure I'll be making a few trips over the next few years

I want to see Mesa Verde and Black Canyon of the Gunnison, as well as Colordado National Monument in Colordao, but that'll be another trip, I hope!

Comment

Not as exciting as some of the other trips but driving from mid-atlantic area to NH and then onto Maine this Friday/Saturday.

Just curious if anybody knows of any major construction issues that could impact the route.

Normally go NJTP, 287, TPZ Br, 684, 84, 91 etc. but thinking of taking Merrit Pkwy to 91 to Brattleboro and then heading over towards Concord. Have done the reverse version of that and it went great, wondering if there would be problem doing that Friday afternoon (do people from NYC head up 91 for the weekend?).

Goal is to be through NYC (TPZ) area by 12-1 pm and avoid rush hour in Hartford too. If delayed, any thoughts about getting around Hartford at rush hour?

Next morning am driving to mid-coast Maine, probably 95 to Augusta and then 3 or 17 over to the coast.

Anybody with local input on traffic issues/route recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
                          Last edited by pirate; 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM.
                          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                            Not as exciting as some of the other trips but driving from mid-atlantic area to NH and then onto Maine this Friday/Saturday.

Just curious if anybody knows of any major construction issues that could impact the route.

Normally go NJTP, 287, TPZ Br, 684, 84, 91 etc. but thinking of taking Merrit Pkwy to 91 to Brattleboro and then heading over towards Concord. Have done the reverse version of that and it went great, wondering if there would be problem doing that Friday afternoon (do people from NYC head up 91 for the weekend?).

Goal is to be through NYC (TPZ) area by 12-1 pm and avoid rush hour in Hartford too. If delayed, any thoughts about getting around Hartford at rush hour?

Next morning am driving to mid-coast Maine, probably 95 to Augusta and then 3 or 17 over to the coast.

Anybody with local input on traffic issues/route recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
                            All I can suggest is, if you're going up 84 and are concerned with Hartford traffic, whenever I go to visit my family in Danbury CT, if the traffic might be bad, I avoid it by going (heading north back to NH) 691 off of 84, to 91 and then meet back up with 84 north of the city...

If you're going to be in Brat', and looking for something different/interesting to do for a few hours, there's a place that I just learned about in Chesterfield NH (just over the border from Brat') called Madame Sheri's Castle Ruins (google it). I'm going to head out there on Sunday to check it out/get some pix.

Comment

I don't know exactly how the wave permits work. some can be reserved and others are drawn each morning.

the trail to the wave branches off from the Wire Canyon Trail. this trail (about 4 miles) goes through a great slot canyon and is easy to navigate - just a few spots of scrambling over boulders. it ends at Buckskin, so if you have extra time you can hike some of it too. some very nice petroglyphs there too.

I have wondered? ... what if you just wander up the other trail toward the wave ... is there a ranger stationed up there .....
                              Boosh Factor 4

Comment

I don't know exactly how the wave permits work. some can be reserved and others are drawn each morning.

the trail to the wave branches off from the Wire Canyon Trail. this trail (about 4 miles) goes through a great slot canyon and is easy to navigate - just a few spots of scrambling over boulders. it ends at Buckskin, so if you have extra time you can hike some of it too. some very nice petroglyphs there too.

I have wondered? ... what if you just wander up the other trail toward the wave ... is there a ranger stationed up there .....
                                I am not really sure. I'd imagine there's SOMETIMES a ranger there, and its one of those things where chances are you WON'T get caught but if you do... it could be bad news bears

What I know is, they do 10 permits via online lotto each day (4 months in advance) and 10 permits the day before (gotta show up before 9AM, presumably WELL before 9AM) to try to get one. If we're not lucky enough to get one for the end part of our trip, we'll spend a morning on the way out from Vegas trying to get one (We're also going to spend a couple of days in and around Page so we won't be far). It would be awesome to have several months to just wander around and photograph... some day

Comment

Working...
                                X