WWE: Things Are About To Get Rowdy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WWE: Things Are About To Get Rowdy

A lot of those guys made it. If that was just one of those rinky dink territories guys used to get shivved in alleys over before the McMahons muscled everybody out then it was one excellent operation.

My favorites were the great tag teams.

Professor Tanaka & Mr. Fuji
    The Valiant Brothers
    Superstar Billy Graham & Ivan Koloff
    Chief Jay Strongbow & about ten different guys

And then there were a bunch of racist villains of the month like the Arabs during the hostage crisis. The Iron Sheik must have had a piece of that but I don't remember a tag team partner for him.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-22-2020, 10:14 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      A lot of those guys made it. If that was just one of those rinky dink territories guys used to get shivved in alleys over before the McMahons muscled everybody out then it was one excellent operation.
      The AWA was one of the 2-3 promotions that could’ve kept Vince at bay if they hadn’t been so d-n dumb/stuck in their ways.

The AWA is probably the one promotion Vince raided the most.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler

My favorites were the great tag teams.

Professor Tanaka & Mr. Fuji
        The Valiant Brothers
        Superstar Billy Graham & Ivan Koloff
        Chief Jay Strongbow & about ten different guys

And then there were a bunch of racist villains of the month like the Arabs during the hostage crisis. The Iron Sheik must have had a piece of that but I don't remember a tag team partner for him.
        I was wondering if you remembered the tandem of Prof. Toru Tanaka and Mr. Fuji.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak
        The AWA was one of the 2-3 promotions that could’ve kept Vince at bay if they hadn’t been so d-n dumb/stuck in their ways.

The AWA is probably the one promotion Vince raided the most.
        There were a good 3-4 talents off top I can think of though some of them were in WWE before AWA.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          The AWA was our local wrestling op before the WW whatever kicked in. Some stars (at least locally, some made it nationally later) that aired in their productions that I can remember:

Adrian Adonis
          Nick Bockwinkle
          The Crusher
          Jim Brunzell
          Jerry Blackwell
          Ric Flair
          Greg and Verne Gagne
          Hulk Hogan
          Superstar Billy Graham
          Curt and Larry Hennig
          Sheik Adnan El Kaissey
          Jerry Lawler
          Rick Martel
          Wahoo McDaniel
          Ken Patera
          Dusty Rhodes
          The Road Warriors
          Sgt. Slaughter
          Superfly Snuka
          The Crippler
          Mad Dog Vachon
          Jesse The Body
          Baron von Raschke

What I don't know is if any of them were ever exclusive to the AWA and/or if they got their start there.
          What? No Dick the Bruiser???
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            The AWA was our local wrestling op before the WW whatever kicked in. Some stars (at least locally, some made it nationally later) that aired in their productions that I can remember:

Adrian Adonis
            Nick Bockwinkle
            The Crusher
            Jim Brunzell
            Jerry Blackwell
            Ric Flair
            Greg and Verne Gagne
            Hulk Hogan
            Superstar Billy Graham
            Curt and Larry Hennig
            Sheik Adnan El Kaissey
            Jerry Lawler
            Rick Martel
            Wahoo McDaniel
            Ken Patera
            Dusty Rhodes
            The Road Warriors
            Sgt. Slaughter
            Superfly Snuka
            The Crippler
            Mad Dog Vachon
            Jesse The Body
            Baron von Raschke

What I don't know is if any of them were ever exclusive to the AWA and/or if they got their start there.
            Before WWF/Vince went crazy and broke all the rules, I believe that regional wrestlers were exclusive to that organization. You didn't wrestle outside your region.
            Even after WWF really kicked in, USUALLY the companies owned the names of the wrestlers, hence Road Warriors becoming Legion Of Doom. If you were truly big enough (Hulk Hogan, Macho Man), then you could own the name. I suppose it'd be like owning the rights to your music/master tapes, that sort of thing.

Obviously I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by LAKingsFan26 View Post
              I was wondering if you remembered the tandem of Prof. Toru Tanaka and Mr. Fuji.

There were a good 3-4 talents off top I can think of though some of them were in WWE before AWA.
              Too lazy to read through the entire thread - any mention of my local guy and former patient -Scott Charles Bigelow? You might know him better as Bam Bam. Holds the record by a wide margin as the biggest man to ever walk into my office (although by no means the tallest). Wrestled in high school not far from here at Neptune High School.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                Too lazy to read through the entire thread - any mention of my local guy and former patient -Scott Charles Bigelow? You might know him better as Bam Bam. Holds the record by a wide margin as the biggest man to ever walk into my office (although by no means the tallest). Wrestled in high school not far from here at Neptune High School.
                Did he wear the flame suit to your office?
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  I remember going to a movie with some friends back in the day, and while we were hanging out in the lobby, one of my friends (not a wrestling fan), said, "You know, if there is any guy I would not want to get into a fight with, it'd be that guy" and points to this one ugly sumbeech.

A couple of us look over.....it was Animal of the Road Warriors.

We obviously agreed with our friend.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                    Did he wear the flame suit to your office?
                    Never - in the early years though he did wear some flamboyant stuff. If you know any of his history you know he made his own flame suit at a home barbecue at his home here in NJ. i got called to see him for 2nd and 3rd degree burns over a good portion of his substantial body. There were times that we saw him while he was in his fighting shape and weighed about 400. But when he was idle for any length of time he probably tipped the scales at at least 100 pounds more than that.
                    Last edited by DrDemento; 05-22-2020, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Never - in the early years though he did wear some flamboyant stuff. If you know any of his history you know he made his own flame suit at a home barbecue at his home here in NJ. i got called to see him for 2nd and 3rd degree burns over a good portion of his substantial body. There were times that we saw him while he was in his fighting shape and weighed about 400. But when he was idle for any length of time he probably tipped the scales at at least 100 pounds more than that.
                      Did he share anything about his classic WrestleMania match wifh Lawrence Taylor?
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        Before WWF/Vince went crazy and broke all the rules, I believe that regional wrestlers were exclusive to that organization. You didn't wrestle outside your region.
                        Even after WWF really kicked in, USUALLY the companies owned the names of the wrestlers, hence Road Warriors becoming Legion Of Doom. If you were truly big enough (Hulk Hogan, Macho Man), then you could own the name. I suppose it'd be like owning the rights to your music/master tapes, that sort of thing.

Obviously I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.
                        Incorrect. Vince typically copyrights/trademarks the wrestlers name when they work for WWE. Before that it's usually owned by the wrestler.

The Road Warriors were called the Legion of Doom in WWF because they already had the Ultimate Warrior and the "Modern Day Warrior" Kerry Von Erich at that time so Vince asked for something different. They were still introduced as "Road Warrior Hawk" and "Road Warrior Animal".
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          Incorrect. Vince typically copyrights/trademarks the wrestlers name when they work for WWE. Before that it's usually owned by the wrestler.

The Road Warriors were called the Legion of Doom in WWF because they already had the Ultimate Warrior and the "Modern Day Warrior" Kerry Von Erich at that time so Vince asked for something different. They were still introduced as "Road Warrior Hawk" and "Road Warrior Animal".
                          Gotcha. Figured someone like you would chime in with better knowledge. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by LAKingsFan26 View Post
                            After looking through their bios there's a few that started in the WWF.

Adrian Adonis - no
                            Nick Bockwinkle -no
                            The Crusher - no
                            Jim Brunzell - no
                            Jerry Blackwell - no
                            Ric Flair - no
                            Greg and Verne Gagne - no
                            Hulk Hogan - yes WWF
                            Superstar Billy Graham - no
                            Curt and Larry Hennig - no
                            Sheik Adnan El Kaissey - no
                            Jerry Lawler - no
                            Rick Martel - yes WWF
                            Wahoo McDaniel - no
                            Ken Patera - no
                            Dusty Rhodes - no
                            The Road Warriors - no
                            Sgt. Slaughter - no
                            Superfly Snuka - yes WWF
                            Mad Dog Vachon - no
                            Jesse The Body - no
                            Baron von Raschke - no

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                              Did he share anything about his classic WrestleMania match wifh Lawrence Taylor?
                              Can't recall and i cannot really render any sort of decision on what kind of guy he was. In the office as a patient he was very nice and a complete gentleman. He was willing to pose for a few photos next to Jenny who is 4'10" and about 105 lbs. We actually saw him several times, some for minor issues (you can imagine some of the skin problems that someone of that size could suffer from especially in the summer heat) and then was called into the hospital to see him for a burn he sustained. From what i understood, he earned a fairly sizeable income for a few years but had some major difficulties in his personal life after leaving this area.

Although we had many sports figures and celebrities as patients over the years, he was the only professional wrestler i can recall but will check later with Jen who has virtually an instant recall of the more than 50,000 patients we have seen over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                I never knew this. I assumed the syndicates exploited the wrestlers the way trainers exploited fighters, using organized crime as terror and muscle to keep them in line. My impression is the whole business was depressing, dirty, and horrible, like horse racing (for most of the same reasons), and for all their awfulness the McMahons actually were a big step up in quality of life for the talent.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X