Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Foreign Policy 2.0: Have you read Kipling, Mr. Tillerson?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: US Foreign Policy 2.0: Have you read Kipling, Mr. Tillerson?

Be proud of your tantrum, Republicans.

WASHINGTON — The United States on Friday terminated a major treaty of the Cold War, the Intermediate Nuclear Forces agreement, and it is already planning to start testing a new class of missiles later this summer.

But the new missiles are unlikely to be deployed to counter the treaty’s other nuclear power, Russia, which the United States has said for years was in violation of the accord. Instead, the first deployments are likely to be intended to counter China, which has amassed an imposing missile arsenal and is now seen as a much more formidable long-term strategic rival than Russia.

The moves by Washington have elicited concern that the United States may be on the precipice of a new arms race, especially because the one major remaining arms control treaty with Russia, a far larger one called New START, appears on life support, unlikely to be renewed when it expires in less than two years.

At a moment when the potential for nuclear confrontations with North Korea and Iran is rising, the American decision to abandon the 32-year-old treaty has prompted new worries in Europe and Asia, and warnings that echo an era that once seemed banished to the history books. The resurgence of nuclear geopolitics was evident in the Democratic debate on Tuesday night, when presidential hopefuls grappled with whether the United States should renounce “first use” of nuclear weapons in any future conflict.

“The United States and Russia are now in a state of strategic instability,” Ernest J. Moniz, the former energy secretary, and Sam Nunn, the former Georgia senator who helped draft the legislation that funded the drastic reduction in former Soviet nuclear forces, write in a coming article in Foreign Affairs ominously titled “The Return to Doomsday.” “Not since the 1962 Cuban missile crisis has the risk of a U.S.-Russian confrontation involving the use of nuclear weapons been as high as it is today. Yet unlike during the Cold War, both sides seem willfully blind to the peril.”
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Poots, Kim, and Xi are all well aware. It's Dump who's blind to the fact that this isn't just a dick-waving contest with adult-sized firecrackers.

My hope would be that Dump lacks the courage to actually order any launches unless someone else strikes American soil first.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Poots, Kim, and Xi are all well aware. It's Dump who's blind to the fact that this isn't just a dick-waving contest with adult-sized firecrackers.

My hope would be that Dump lacks the courage to actually order any launches unless someone else strikes American soil first.
        They key is Dr. Strangemind, aka John Bolton. Listen to his words, but ignore the advice.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Meanwhile the rest of the world refuses to wait until we have our act together.

India proposed to remove Kashmir's special autonomous status from its constitution on Monday.

Home Minister Amit Shah announced that the government intended to abolish the status for the Indian-controlled region, telling parliament Article 370 would be revoked.

"The entire constitution will be applicable to Jammu and Kashmir state," Shah said, ending the state's rights to make its own laws.

The article is a special provision in the Indian Constitution that confers special status to the state of Jammu and Kashmir. Its revocation would lead to Indians outside of the state gaining the legal right to own property there.

But critics say such changes would lead to demographic transformation and have accused the Hindu nationalist-led government of wanting to establish a Hindu majority in the predominantly Muslim region.
          Fun fact: both of these countries are nuclear powers.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Possibly. Might be fake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Meanwhile the rest of the world refuses to wait until we have our act together.

Fun fact: both of these countries are nuclear powers.
              Don't forget China.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

None of us are going to stop a PLA invasion, Joe.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Don't forget China.
                  I'm going to hazard a guess that you bought into the full Japanese are boogiemen scare in the 80s, too, didn't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    I'm going to hazard a guess that you bought into the full Japanese are boogiemen scare in the 80s, too, didn't you?
                    Lines of supply. China has a short hop, skip and jump to get to Kashmir. If they decide to go all in, India and Pakistan are in over their heads.

And what the heck are you talking about?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      None of us are going to stop a PLA invasion, Joe.
                      See my reply to unofan. Lines of supply (logistics) will decide every modern conventional battlefield.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

In an interesting twist, the Hong Kong protests are being spun on the mainland as being instigated by the US.

A competent state department would have gotten ahead of this before China conspiracies spurn a bigger conflict.

Along with its increasingly strident rhetoric, Beijing has encouraged conspiracy theories now popular within China that the protests were instigated and funded by the United States. In a second press conference last week, China's office on Hong Kong blamed "external foreign forces" for the protest, citing several meetings U.S. leaders had with Hong Kong pro-democracy advocates in Washington this spring.

The ideas have gained significant support in mainland China: when a prominent international relations commentator dismissed theories of CIA support for the protests as an unfounded conspiracy, he was vilified as a traitor by online bloggers.
                        Water carriers, stand tall and take pride in what you have enabled.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Hong Kong airport was reopened this morning but now it's been shut down by protesters again. Live feed.
                          Cornell University

Comment

@realDonaldTrump: Our Intelligence has informed us that the Chinese Government is moving troops to the Border with Hong Kong. Everyone should be calm and safe!

Thoughts and prayers? Frankly, there is not a heck of a lot we can do militarily if PLA crushes Hong Kong like a bug.

Sanctions, trade embargoes? Cut off the source of their cash and see what happens?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

"Everyone should be calm and safe"? Yes, please stop standing up for your rights, it makes his dictator buddies upset and then he doesn't get more beautiful ****ing letters.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Sanctions, trade embargoes? Cut off the source of their cash and see what happens?
                                I think the most important thing is to get some sick Twitter burns on the third most important Cuomo.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X