Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    General idea of what people eat on a ketogenic diet:

    Meat.
    More meat.
    Eggs (kind of a meat).
    A little dairy, mostly the full fat stuff
    Berries, nuts and seeds. (I'm constantly eating sunflower seeds at my desk.)
    Things that are made from the stuff listed above but made to look like and sort of taste like baked goods.
    I don't have issues with losing weight...and I know you have to eat some substance on a weight losing diet, but are you sure that eating tons of meat is very healthy? Color me: not confident. That wouldn't be my diet.
    Go Gophers!

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

      Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      I don't have issues with losing weight...and I know you have to eat some substance on a weight losing diet, but are you sure that eating tons of meat is very healthy? Color me: not confident. That wouldn't be my diet.
      You're eating some complex carbs, too. It's basically a Sugar Busters diet. And just because you're eating cholesterol doesn't mean you're putting the gunk into your veins. The guys who run that podcast both talked about how they had their numbers drawn prior to starting the diet and then again just before their first podcast. The Australian guy was far into the diabetic range, about to be moved onto some medicine that had a stated possible side effect of pancreatic cancer. Instead of the drug, he made a deal with his doctor, and three months later, and about 10 weeks after he'd started his ketogenic diet, had his numbers all drawn again. His HDL and LDL numbers went from horrible to normal, his A1C dropped from diabetic ranges to normal, blood pressure, etc.. The Connecticut guy had a very similar story after an even shorter period of time - he was only pre-diabetic, unlike the Australian.

      (I focused on the meat because it just feels like an absurd amount of meat compared to traditional diets.)
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

      "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

      "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

        Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        You're eating some complex carbs, too. It's basically a Sugar Busters diet. And just because you're eating cholesterol doesn't mean you're putting the gunk into your veins. The guys who run that podcast both talked about how they had their numbers drawn prior to starting the diet and then again just before their first podcast. The Australian guy was far into the diabetic range, about to be moved onto some medicine that had a stated possible side effect of pancreatic cancer. Instead of the drug, he made a deal with his doctor, and three months later, and about 10 weeks after he'd started his ketogenic diet, had his numbers all drawn again. His HDL and LDL numbers went from horrible to normal, his A1C dropped from diabetic ranges to normal, blood pressure, etc.. The Connecticut guy had a very similar story after an even shorter period of time - he was only pre-diabetic, unlike the Australian.

        (I focused on the meat because it just feels like an absurd amount of meat compared to traditional diets.)
        Perhaps a healthier version would b the current plan while moving in the general direction of a vegetarian diet. Keep proteins...but cut back on meats and replace that with various beans, quinoa, nuts, eggs of course with just occasional meat.
        Go Gophers!

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

          Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Perhaps a healthier version would b the current plan while moving in the general direction of a vegetarian diet. Keep proteins...but cut back on meats and replace that with various beans, quinoa, nuts, eggs of course with just occasional meat.
          Vegetarian would certainly be cheaper, but I'll let the blood work numbers determine if it's healthier. It's not like I'm skipping out on my clinic visits while on this diet.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

          "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

          "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

            Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Vegetarian would certainly be cheaper, but I'll let the blood work numbers determine if it's healthier. It's not like I'm skipping out on my clinic visits while on this diet.
            I can tell you I feel a bazillion times better being on a 90% veggie diet. Intuitively, I would just believe that eating 3-4 types of protein (beans, nuts, etc.) is healthier than eating a big slab of meat. But the plan makes total sense.
            Go Gophers!

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

              Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              I started the Ketogenics diet this past Monday morning. So I'm four days in, and decided to give myself a weigh-in before my shower today. I'm down 8.5lbs, and I feel like I'm eating like a horse.

              It's supposed to be good for people who don't handle carbs very well, which is where I find myself. I have a hard time controlling myself with them. The people I've been reading and listening to (Two Keto Dudes) say that this diet is great for pre-type II diabetics. Both of the guys doing that podcast were either diabetic or pre-diabetic when they started their diets, and at different stages in their attempts to reclaim their health. The Australian guy, at the time the podcast started, was a little over 3 years into the diet, while the Connecticut guy was only about month into it. The oddest thing about this, because I have no idea the reason, is that you crave a lot of salt on the diet. To help with the salt intake cravings, which I've had, I'm drinking an arse-ton of water.

              What I've learned from this is that people on the diet hit a wall after a week or two, where the body shifts from primarily processing glucose to fuel itself to primarily processing ketones (fats, I think). Then it becomes much easier to stay on the diet and enjoy the food.

              General idea of what people eat on a ketogenic diet:

              Meat.
              More meat.
              Eggs (kind of a meat).
              A little dairy, mostly the full fat stuff
              Berries, nuts and seeds. (I'm constantly eating sunflower seeds at my desk.)
              Things that are made from the stuff listed above but made to look like and sort of taste like baked goods.
              Sounds similar to the week and a half period where I dropped 15 lbs and the only change to my exercise or diet was finishing up leftovers from a smokeout. I basically had pork butt for 75% of my dinners. After a week I thought, "this isn't normal." Drastic, unexplained weight loss is usually cause for at least some concern. It's possible that by basically having meat and staying away from the carbs it helped. Though, I too have concerns about high fat diets.

              I'm not big on diets, especially fad diets. I just try to generally eat well. High protein salads for at least a quarter of my meals, usually chicken breast of some sort at least once a week (sometimes I sub in chicken thighs), always try to have a vegetable with dinner, and I am pretty successful at limiting extraneous sweets. I might have two or three bite size dark chocolates if I'm craving something. I don't do full fat dairy though. I don't particularly like the mouthfeel.

              I think I'm like you otherwise. I don't handle carbs well. But I have always had low numbers for diabetic markers and LDL. We'll see the next time I get a blood workup.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

                I've been doing a similar diet for 7 years, my family does statins for cholesterol, I dont. My weight has been stable for 5 years. Lost a lot, then gained some back. Stayed within 5 lbs for last 5.

                Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

                  Got into a car accident on 9/18. The awesomeness that was my birthday happened on 9/20. There was SO much sugar and so much alcohol that I became tired and bloated.

                  The past couple weeks have been a return to normal. Lots of vegetables, quality protein (start every day with scrambled eggs), and smart carbs (more fruit, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash instead of banana-chocolate chip bread). Lots of water, too.

                  Where I need accountability on, however, is the tendency to fill almost every week of the year with a race. You all know I got burned out pretty bad and my right ankle may never fully heal. This is what I have in mind for next year, but I'm keeping an open mind about NOT doing some of these things:

                  Groundhog Marathon, River Bank 25K, Michigan Titanium half duathlon (56 mile bike/13.1 mile run), Air Force Marathon, and Grand Rapids half or full. Plus the usual 5Ks, 10Ks, and possibly triathlon again, provided I can get swim lessons and ample water time. Even if I don't get back into triathlon, swim lessons and water time, will help take the strain off my ankles.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2018: One Step At A Time

                    End of the year: how are we going to finish?

                    My weight will end at about 215.

                    Marathon training is fun again; reached a point where I'm happy to be out there at all, instead of worrying about times.

                    Food intake is where it needs to be, so is the water intake. I actually cut back on coffee.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      So COVID-19 has canceled almost all sport events . With the pools closed it makes in water swim training difficult. I’m just playing it by ear and working on my bike trainer and strength (I have some really decent training gear by Trigearlab). I need to incorporate some dry land swim training as well. This will certainly test our ability to be adaptable with our training.
                      Last edited by DonaldD; 11-14-2020, 05:12 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        My daughter was born in February, and since then I’ve dropped 50lbs. I stress eat. A lot. and it had been a very stressful couple years leading up to her birth. Once I’m done building my shed 10Wx12Lx11H, which I just need to finish the shingles and caulk, I’m getting back into my weightlifting. I’m feeling so much better now than when I started this year.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                        "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                        "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          I got into a retail position, and it's walking around the store doing online pick up orders. At least I'll be walking every day for awhile.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            My daughter was born in February, and since then I’ve dropped 50lbs. I stress eat. A lot. and it had been a very stressful couple years leading up to her birth. Once I’m done building my shed 10Wx12Lx11H, which I just need to finish the shingles and caulk, I’m getting back into my weightlifting. I’m feeling so much better now than when I started this year.
                            That is amazing

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              My daughter was born in February, and since then I’ve dropped 50lbs. I stress eat. A lot. and it had been a very stressful couple years leading up to her birth. Once I’m done building my shed 10Wx12Lx11H, which I just need to finish the shingles and caulk, I’m getting back into my weightlifting. I’m feeling so much better now than when I started this year.
                              Seriously, congrats man. 50 lbs is a fuckton. It’s an amazing accomplishment.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                I’m down about ten pounds in the last ten weeks, so doing it slowly. Cleaning up the diet and doing strength training and riding my Peleton.

                                had to start slowly after covid ravaged me but is nice to see a little progress

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X