X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorter psychiatry:

Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• This is really cool

https://***********/valaafshar/statu...ZD0U7hrhb4LOmg

Comment

• I'm posting this in the science thread even though it's more of a medical issue, but the science is so interesting.

About 13 months ago I went from only moderate hearing loss to complete deafness in both ears. I couldn't even hear my own voice. A strange but interesting and informing experience--total deafness. After many months of preliminary exams and surgeries, I received one cochlear implant in August. They activated the system yesterday, and that experience is weird and fascinating. I have to train my brain to process sound and to understand language. At first, everything was more like sound system feedback--screechy, tinny, and unpleasant. Things are gradually starting to make sense. I talk and sing to myself constantly as means to educate my brain, which has always been a reluctant learner. That also has a collateral benefit to my wife and others close enough to hear. Brain neurology is so interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
          I'm posting this in the science thread even though it's more of a medical issue, but the science is so interesting.

About 13 months ago I went from only moderate hearing loss to complete deafness in both ears. I couldn't even hear my own voice. A strange but interesting and informing experience--total deafness. After many months of preliminary exams and surgeries, I received one cochlear implant in August. They activated the system yesterday, and that experience is weird and fascinating. I have to train my brain to process sound and to understand language. At first, everything was more like sound system feedback--screechy, tinny, and unpleasant. Things are gradually starting to make sense. I talk and sing to myself constantly as means to educate my brain, which has always been a reluctant learner. That also has a collateral benefit to my wife and others close enough to hear. Brain neurology is so interesting.
          Hope you get used to the implant.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I'm posting this in the science thread even though it's more of a medical issue, but the science is so interesting.

Best wishes with the adaptation. I hear listening to Wisconsin fight songs has some preliminary evidence for faster adaptation.
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Best wishes with the adaptation. I hear listening to Wisconsin fight songs has some preliminary evidence for faster adaptation.
              Thanks WW, but better to be deaf.

Comment

Thanks WW, but better to be deaf.
                : )
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Is it true farm fresh eggs don't need to be refrigerated? If so, why not?
                  Last edited by burd; 10-02-2022, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Is it true farm fresh eggs don't need to be refrigerated? If so, why not?
                    No, they don't need to be. Commercially grown eggs in the US are "washed" which actually removes the natural protective coating.

Farm fresh eggs don't go through that process so still have the coating that doesn't require refrigeration.

Comment

• Factory facilities and their need to use tons of disinfectants also make them prime breeding grounds for antibiotic-resistant salmonella and other bacteria that cause serious food-borne illnesses.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Factory facilities and their need to use tons of disinfectants also make them prime breeding grounds for antibiotic-resistant salmonella and other bacteria that cause serious food-borne illnesses.
                        Which is like most industrial meat products, right?

by that I mean beef, pork, and chicken, not processed meats.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Which is like most industrial meat products, right?

by that I mean beef, pork, and chicken, not processed meats.
                          Yes, and chicken/turkey processing facilities are known for being particularly filthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Factory facilities and their need to use tons of disinfectants also make them prime breeding grounds for antibiotic-resistant salmonella and other bacteria that cause serious food-borne illnesses.
                            I don't see how they could make resistance worse without using antibiotics. They typically use relatively harsh chemical disinfectants from what I remember. What am I missing here?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Kep -- if you have blue eyes, we're related!!!

https://historyofyesterday.com/blue-...ngle-ancestor/
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Kep -- if you have blue eyes, we're related!!!

https://historyofyesterday.com/blue-...ngle-ancestor/
                                If I had blue eyes I'd have had the confidence to date Stephany Richardson.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X