X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

****ing A share some!!
    The first thing that stuck out is just the inordinate amount of time and effort spent on seemingly stupid things. The customer complaints are insane.

Like, I can't go into details, but the curl that can form on them took a concerted effort and a lot of extremely bright people to reduce/eliminate. I have never really even thought about it until I saw a project code name that was interesting and asked about it. Got a pretty crazy rundown.

despite seemingly little innovation, there's tons of R&D still today. It's why the real thing still blows the nearest competitor out of the water.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Holy cow

https://twitter.com/sterlingcrispin/...310927880?s=21
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        So that's how they make a plumbus.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/SteveStuWill/sta...615615491?s=20

Holy crap
          Code:

Comment

I'm pretty sure the traditional multi-axis robot was just put on notice that it's soon obsolete if joints like that exist.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

It's going to be a mood when they produce ten million of these for urban pacification and some sophomore at MIT hacks them and they all head up town to the rich people's houses.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Skynet is following.

Comment

• Theophite (good follow on Twitter) pointed out the biggest issue is that basically plutonium is the only material energy-dense enough to make these things viable for anything Michael Bay or James Cameron would be interested in.
                  Code:

Comment

• I keep reading this. I keep almost getting it.

What started me down this path is my age-old problem with "force." Specially, with the difference between F = ma and p = mv.

Let's think about what happens when you are in a car at a stoplight and a car rear-ends you. What is the "jolt" you feel? Is it F? Is it p? Is this a difference between an evaluation of the forces in the entire system against the viewpoint of just one component of that system (my car getting rear-ended)?

My first intuition is that the car hits me and applies a "force" on my car. But then I look at that equation, F=ma. What if the car is decelerating when it hits me? It's in the process of going from 50 mph to 30 mph but it hits me going 40 mph. That can't mean what it says, that the force that hits me is negative.

OK, so, maybe it only matters that I suddenly start accelerating to 40 mph from being at rest. That jibes with my intuition that had I been moving 35 mph when the car hit me going 40, the actual forces imparted to my car would have been much less (as my additional acceleration is just 5 mph).

Does any of this make sense? If any of you teach physics in high school I am sure you can explain this to me in a way I can grasp in seconds.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      I keep reading this. I keep almost getting it.

What started me down this path is my age-old problem with "force." Specially, with the difference between F = ma and p = mv.

Let's think about what happens when you are in a car at a stoplight and a car rear-ends you. What is the "jolt" you feel? Is it F? Is it p? Is this a difference between an evaluation of the forces in the entire system against the viewpoint of just one component of that system (my car getting rear-ended)?

My first intuition is that the car hits me and applies a "force" on my car. But then I look at that equation, F=ma. What if the car is decelerating when it hits me? It's in the process of going from 50 mph to 30 mph but it hits me going 40 mph. That can't mean what it says, that the force that hits me is negative.

OK, so, maybe it only matters that I suddenly start accelerating to 40 mph from being at rest. That jibes with my intuition that had I been moving 35 mph when the car hit me going 40, the actual forces imparted to my car would have been much less (as my additional acceleration is just 5 mph).

Does any of this make sense? If any of you teach physics in high school I am sure you can explain this to me in a way I can grasp in seconds.
                      At a high school physics level meaning we're ignoring friction, wind resistance, and other outside forces...

Each action which involves overcoming inertia requires a force.

in the case of deceleration, F=ma is measuring the force being applied by the brakes.

In the case of the collision, F=ma is measuring the force of the car impacting your car. It also means a=F/m. Your car will accelerate in proportion to the force being applied to it by the other car at the point of impact.

Comment

• Really what you are feeling is the transfer of energy from the first car hitting you. While it's energy dropped a lot from 50 to 40 (on the way to 30) before it hit you, the transfer of energy was an increase in force to that car over the brakes. The transfer of energy takes time- and over that time, there's a different F=ma- all of which, you feel. And some of the energy is taken by the deformation of the body of the car (thankfully), otherwise, a quick acceleration like that to your body would be very damaging.

Comment

• The jerk
                          Code:

Comment

• Things we could have if we didn't spend all our time fighting off our morons.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Things we could have if we didn't spend all our time fighting off our morons.
                              But 25mbps is just fine per the FCC....
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Isn't it nearly impossible to have less than 100 anywhere in the U.S.? I'd be lucky to see 50+ here...

Comment

Working...
                                X