X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    we only just discovered them 200 years ago.
    Can you imagine what that was like? Finding a ****ing alien in the ground? That must have been both exciting and absolutely terrifying.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Time to revise the textbooks again, mammals may not have been so afraid of dinosaurs...

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/18/11882...-final-moments

What's amazing is the pace at which we continue to find out and revise our knowlege of dinosaurs. Even wilder is that we only just discovered them 200 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    This is great.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Could be wavelength size. Too big and the sensors are too close together to see them. That’s why the black hole detection took the combined radio detectors to make one the size of the entire earth.
    Yeah that's kind of what my sloppy analogy was trying to get at.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I guess I fail to see why ligo can't pick these up. Is ligo able to detect the waves crashing into shore but unable to see the swells in the middle of the ocean?
    Could be wavelength size. Too big and the sensors are too close together to see them. That’s why the black hole detection took the combined radio detectors to make one the size of the entire earth.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I guess I fail to see why ligo can't pick these up. Is ligo able to detect the waves crashing into shore but unable to see the swells in the middle of the ocean?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Seeing the gravity of the situation.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Well my fellow humans it was a good run.
    I hate every ape I see
    From chimpan-a to chimpan-z

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Well my fellow humans it was a good run.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Worse than that, they think they know more than everyone else. Nothing more dangerous than someone who knows little, but thinks they know more than everyone else.
    You just described reddit. And Intelligent Design. And Libertarianism.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This is a great study. It demonstrates that Flat Earthers aren't being ironic or trolling. They're just stupid.
    Worse than that, they think they know more than everyone else. Nothing more dangerous than someone who knows little, but thinks they know more than everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    This is a great study. It demonstrates that Flat Earthers aren't being ironic or trolling. They're just stupid.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I kept thinking as I was reading that, man the authors are good writers. Then bang, 'secular'. Glad you included that aside.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    This is a cool paper. And apparently it is an original contribution to science: we did not know this before.

Our deep imaging observations of nearby type 2 quasars provide strong evidence that galaxy interactions are the dominant triggering mechanism for quasars in the local universe, consistent with the results for other samples of nearby radio-loud and radio-quiet quasars that have been observed to a similar surface brightness depth. Much of the apparent ambiguity of the results in this field is likely to be due to differences in the surface brightness depths of the observations combined with the effects of cosmological surface brightness dimming. Clearly, it is important that these factors are given full consideration in future studies of quasar triggering.

Beyond the dominance of galaxy interactions, there appears to be a wide range of circumstances under which luminous, quasar-like AGN are triggered. Although our results indicate that the gas flows associated with galaxy interactions can provide sufficient mass infall rates to the central SMBH to trigger quasar activity even well before the two nuclei have coalesced, some objects are triggered in a post-coalescence phase. Moreover, a minority of our sample are disc galaxies that appear undisturbed in deep imaging observations. Therefore, secular processes may sometimes be capable of triggering quasar activity, even if this is not the dominant mechanism at low redshifts.
    Note the interesting usage of the word "secular."

Early sciences borrowed the Latin word saeculum and its meaning of a ‘human age’ and ‘century’ to indicate a long duration of periodic time. In worldly time, notable events can be recorded and arranged, so broader patterns to orderly events can become amenable to empirical inquiries. Astronomy was the first empirical science to use the term because the courses of the stars, the sun, the moon, and the visible planets displayed regular paths upon careful observation. Only records spanning decades and centuries could reveal longer-term patterns – what were labelled as secular patterns by the sixteenth century – such as the recurrences of solar eclipses and the precession of the equinoxes.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-29-2023, 05:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    So Betelgeuse is going through some things.
    Yup. Gonna blow sometime between the next 20,000 years and the next 20 minutes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X