X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Science: Everything explained by PV=nRT, F=ma=Gm(1)•m(2)/r^2

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Next thread we should just officially migrate to "STEM: "
    Meh, let's not. Let's have S&M (ahem) for the brains and T&E for the brawn. They are very different fish.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Meh, let's not. Let's have S&M (ahem) for the brains and T&E for the brawn. They are very different fish.
      Whaddaya do with the guy with a physics degree and an engineering degree?
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

This isn't to say there aren't smart people in finance or that people who went into finance aren't smart. But to say that it's where the brightest people go is absurd.
        That's why I said "bassturds", not geniuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Baloney. Every dumb jock I knew went into finance or business management and from what I can tell in watching kids the same age as my sons it's not changed a lick.
          And the real world?

Its true there are critical humanitarian services that are not rewarded by society - education, parenting, third world services. But beyond that, value is determined by society. So...I would love to think a clever idea I just thought of is going to be of value to everyone. But frankly, most ideas aren't worth much. For societal products and services beyond the humanitarian ones discussed above, the business world - and ultimately the consumer decides. Why is it most comfortable/great living in either the US or Europe? Because business and government services (using the foundation of business) has made it so.

Supply and demand describes where value is added. Per glassdoor, the average CEO makes $13.8m/yr. and per HuffPo, the top masters programs for making money are MBAs. If there wasn't value being created by business, those salaries would be unsustainable. In the end, the majority of science in the 21st century is a tool for its consumer application as determined by business. Where this is wrong?

Its an academic discussion, but interesting nonetheless.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

You’re confusing salary with intelligence. I’m not sure how. But you are.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              value is determined by society
              Thus do I refute you.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You’re confusing salary with intelligence. I’m not sure how. But you are.
                Because its closer to real world intellectual talent than is a college course.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

That's engineering, the B students. Not science, the A students.

(It will be sold by business, the C students.)
                  Yep, based on Steve Jobs, Bill Gate and even Einstein...you can't tie school to intellect.

And Mark's perspective?

https://www.elitedaily.com/money/c-s...n-life/1039028
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

You do know it’s a myth that Einstein was a bad student, right?
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

FFS, we were joking around, and then leave it to 5mn to be a buzzkill and twist it into a serious discussion. He's like the new Fishy.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        Because its closer to real world intellectual talent than is a college course.
                        That's two narrow in scope. Are millionaire athletes on the whole more intelligent than the rest of us? If the only goal in life was to get rich than they're winning. I'd like to think there's more to it than that.

Comment

Thus do I refute you.
                          I totally missed this the first time through.

Perfect.
                          Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            And the real world?

Its true there are critical humanitarian services that are not rewarded by society - education, parenting, third world services. But beyond that, value is determined by society.
                            Value has nothing to do with intelligence. 80,000 showed up to Nebraska's spring game, which is nothing more than a glorified practice. That doesn't mean the freshman nose tackle is more intelligent than the physics professor with 5 students in his class.
                            Last edited by unofan; 05-12-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

You do know it’s a myth that Einstein was a bad student, right?
                              At the age of 16, Einstein tried to enter the Swiss Federal Polytechnic and was turned down. The point is that frequently scholastic standards are not determinant of applied intellect and ingenuity.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              That's two narrow in scope. Are millionaire athletes on the whole more intelligent than the rest of us? If the only goal in life was to get rich than they're winning. I'd like to think there's more to it than that.
                              Money is not relevant if you blindly compare everyone who has ever gotten money...if you do, then you'd overvalue those who inherited money for example. You need to look at where the money shows up in a value chain - that's where value-add competes.

'Scientists' and the like professions are idea generators (I am probably best described as a business 'scientist' myself). Some scientists add good value, some don't - but beyond that, they really don't do anything themselves. All this is for the consumer and they are king. Business represents consumer expertise, the ability to develop applications, monetize it, bring a complex business model all together, finance it and shepherd it all through to the consumer with support.

No question, science is very important. But in the value chain of idea generation to consumer, business is where the challenge and value is at...and that's why supply and demand dictates that the money shows up in the value chain on the business side rather than the science side.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                At the age of 16, Einstein tried to enter the Swiss Federal Polytechnic and was turned down. The point is that frequently scholastic standards are not determinant of applied intellect and ingenuity.

Money is not relevant if you blindly compare everyone who has ever gotten money...if you do, then you'd overvalue those who inherited money for example. You need to look at where the money shows up in a value chain - that's where value-add competes.

'Scientists' and the like professions are idea generators (I am probably best described as a business 'scientist' myself). Some scientists add good value, some don't - but beyond that, they really don't do anything themselves. All this is for the consumer and they are king. Business represents consumer expertise, the ability to develop applications, monetize it, bring a complex business model all together, finance it and shepherd it all through to the consumer with support.

No question, science is very important. But in the value chain of idea generation to consumer, business is where the challenge and value is at...and that's why supply and demand dictates that the money shows up in the value chain on the business side rather than the science side.
                                I'm sort of confused as to what you are suggesting from the perspective of where the conversation started. Business is where value is added in the pursuit of making stuff for consumers to consume...therefore, the best and brightest naturally gravitate to business. Is that the point you're making? Because, it's a non sequitur.

Comment

Working...
                                X