Drinking Thread: Three Sheets To The Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    With 2 years sober coming on April 30, I'm serio thinking of ways to replicate some of my favorite drinks without liquor, including a Moscow Mule.
    Tonic water, ginger beer, and lime? A little sugary, but might work. You can also find a number of NA spirits nowadays. Fairly expensive I'm sorry to say and not as satisfying, but, my sister in law enjoyed them from time to time while preggers.

Also, consider bitters. A dash or two here and there in carbonated water can go a very long way for flavor. We've been considering making our own bitters for a year or so but haven't had the chance to get all the ingredients. They're kinda spendy but you get a lot relative to what you need. Most are very shelf stable.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Tonic water, ginger beer, and lime? A little sugary, but might work. You can also find a number of NA spirits nowadays. Fairly expensive I'm sorry to say and not as satisfying, but, my sister in law enjoyed them from time to time while preggers.

Also, consider bitters. A dash or two here and there in carbonated water can go a very long way for flavor. We've been considering making our own bitters for a year or so but haven't had the chance to get all the ingredients. They're kinda spendy but you get a lot relative to what you need. Most are very shelf stable.
      One thing I was considering for my N/A Moscow Mule was simply Sprite and ginger beer.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Some NA booze has gotten quite good, particularly N/A gin, a lot of N/A microbrews, and a few N/A wines, but except for beer they all tend come with a high price tag considering you can't get a buzz off them. The best N/A red blend (Luminara) and N/A sparkling wines (Noughty) will set you back $20-25/bottle and good N/A gin is more like $40. Also, some mixed drinks you just cannot replicate the experience of. N/A gin is pretty good with tonic, but none of them make a good martini.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Some NA booze has gotten quite good, particularly N/A gin, a lot of N/A microbrews, and a few N/A wines, but except for beer they all tend come with a high price tag considering you can't get a buzz off them. The best N/A red blend (Luminara) and N/A sparkling wines (Noughty) will set you back $20-25/bottle and good N/A gin is more like $40. Also, some mixed drinks you just cannot replicate the experience of. N/A gin is pretty good with tonic, but none of them make a good martini.
          So just make my own then and possibly create a few drinks.

Still thinking about that Sprite and ginger beer combo.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Hmm. For that to work you need an OG sharp, strong ginger beer. Most ginger beers already taste like they've been cut with dishwater.

OTOH, those truly genuine ginger beers are not drinkable straight.

I think you have found a market inefficiency!
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So just make my own then and possibly create a few drinks.

Unlikely. many (most?) of them are actually made like normal spirits then have the alcohol removed.

I'm wondering if the solvent properties of ethanol are better for extracting them from the solid RMs relative to water.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Then I'll have to create my own and be original. A friend of mine and I are talking about a "mocktail" creation party.

Comment

• Hell yeah

If you can't use ethanol, definitely try experimenting with time and temperature and pressure. Different compounds are extracted at different temperatures and different speeds. Temperature is usually a good replacement For time, but not always.

Take coffee, we find we prefer it with room temp water over 24-36 hours. Too long and it gets bitter, too short it's bland, too hot it's more acidic and often more bitter, and too cold and it takes too long.

Spices and oils might work at higher temps but you'd have to experiment. But pressure can make it even faster by using higher temps without losing much of the volatile compounds either.
                  Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    many (most?) of them are actually made like normal spirits then have the alcohol removed.
                    Yes, and some EtOH removal processes are better at preserving flavor and aroma than others. None of them are perfect though. N/A wine, in particular, lacks much aroma because evaporating EtOH is a key missing component of the aroma compounds making it to your nose. And even good N/A beers (like Two Roots or Big Drop or Lagunitas N/A PA) don't have quite the right mouthfeel because they have to force some carbonation after the dealcoholization process (Two Roots comes the closest, IMO). Fun fact, EtOH is more viscous than water so it also adds body, though I doubt I have to explain that to a chemist :-). Thus, N/A wines and beers tend to drink a bit thin even when they have good flavor.
                    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 04-28-2022, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...lcoholicDrinks
                      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                      Groucho Marx
                      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                      Ron White
                      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                      Milo Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Yes, and some EtOH removal processes are better at preserving flavor and aroma than others. None of them are perfect though. N/A wine, in particular, lacks much aroma because evaporating EtOH is a key missing component of the aroma compounds making it to your nose. And even good N/A beers (like Two Roots or Big Drop or Lagunitas N/A PA) don't have quite the right mouthfeel because they have to force some carbonation after the dealcoholization process (Two Roots comes the closest, IMO). Fun fact, EtOH is more viscous than water so it also adds body, though I doubt I have to explain that to a chemist :-). Thus, N/A wines and beers tend to drink a bit thin even when they have good flavor.
                        a chemist who enjoys leggy wines ;-)

thanks for the research info. Eventually would like to have some options when we start trying for kids.
                        Code:

Comment

• We had friends from Alaska over last night. Hadn't seen them in a couple years, basically since the wedding. Stayed up until around 5 am.

Getting the message loud and clear I'm no longer 25.

(but my god, I did a wet marinade grilled jerk chicken and it was specTACular. The house smelled better than I think I've ever smelled it. Wow.)
                          Code:

Comment

• Tried 'Ritual' N/A Tequila. It makes a solid faux-margarita, but if you really just had to try it sans-mixers like me and my fellow ex-whiskey-tequila-and-other-aged-liquors snobs desperate for one last jigger of familiar bliss, you could even quickly sip it with a small rock for an acceptable, albeit fleeting moment of old times' sake before you miss the burn / warmth.

In other news, I've found since a trip to Houghton and a stop at the KBC last September (where I drank a 2.7% beer) that I can drink low-alcohol beverages without compelling binge effects. 4-4.5% seems to be about the limit, which means certain beers and seltzers, and some at-home highballs with a thimbleful of gin in them are my reality, which I have accepted.

Comment

• Orange juice and 7 Up makes an okay "mimosa."

Comment

• I also found an LGBT establishment that's a little quieter and doesn't get mad when you ask for non-alcoholic options.

Comment

Working...
                                X